Mixed Emotions - 'gold Of My Life'

Not been a regular on the scene for years but have been digging about and come across the 'Modern Times' album on Soul Supply which brings about the above question.

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

I think there's a badlyish listed mixed emotions 45 on ebay at the moment listed as 70s pop but with a high starting price and reserve if i remember rightly, but I wouldn't touch it because there are those dodgy bootlegs about. yes.gifyes.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I am useless on prices but I'd guess at £200

link

i think it's gone up a bit recently cos it's quite popular again (andy dyson plays it regularly)

i'd like a copy of this myself, but would wanna pay about £50, so i probably won't get one cos i know thats probably unrealistic at the moment

wan't there a post on wants about this record a few months ago and somebody got one?

Social source share

I am useless on prices but I'd guess at £200

link

It's unlikely you will find an original has most of all those available are Boots, the way to tell is the real Mixed Emotions don't have the engineer's name on the label. The represses do have the engineer's name on the label :thumbsup:

D

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

It's unlikely you will find an original has most of all those available are Boots, the way to tell is the real Mixed Emotions don't have the engineer's name on the label. The represses do have the engineer's name on the label :thumbsup:  

D

link

thats interesting

that explains my confusion as to why I have seen cheaper copies around

so is it a repress (genuine reissue) or a moody one (counterfeit)?

Social source share

thats interesting

link

Think they may be legit reissues by the owner of the label, though not 100% sure.

Mine came from Butch, so would be an original. :thumbsup:

Social source share

thats interesting

link

Found the following which, might be of some help?

We are the only authorized sellers

of the legendary Mixed Emotions Single

Gold of My Life / Can You Feel the Funk

produced in 1975 by Elijah Cole, Jr.

History:

In 1975 Elijah Cole Jr. produced the Mixed Emotions 45 single Gold of My Life / Can You Feel the Funk under his own label Rock-Way in a limited edition of 300 records.

These singles were never for sale to the general public, they were given away to friends and family. Elijah Cole also sent his singles to record companies trying to find a distributor, but nobody was interested.

Nevertheless the songs, although never offically made public, became favorites with fans of 70s funk music through illegal pressing and distribution. The songs were bootlegged, put on compilation CD's, distributed over the internet and performed in public.

All without the knowledge and authorization of its owner.

In fact, since its production Elijah Cole hasn't made a single penny off of his creation, while others have been reaping the profits over the years.

Only now, for the very first time, Felicia Anne Kemper, Elijah Cole's daughter, is offering his original Mixed Emotions single to the general public in an extending edition only available through this web site.

This edition is not a re-issue, since there never was an original issue to the public.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

History:

In 1975 Elijah Cole Jr. produced the Mixed Emotions 45 single Gold of My Life / Can You Feel the Funk under his own label Rock-Way in a limited edition of 300 records.

These singles were never for sale to the general public, they were given away to friends and family. Elijah Cole also sent his singles to record companies trying to find a distributor, but nobody was interested.

Nevertheless the songs, although never offically made public, became favorites with fans of 70s funk music through illegal pressing and distribution. The songs were bootlegged, put on compilation CD's, distributed over the internet and performed in public.

In fact, since its production Elijah Cole hasn't made a single penny off of his creation, while others have been reaping the profits over the years.

Only now, for the very first time, Felicia Anne Kemper, Elijah Cole's daughter, is offering his original Mixed Emotions single to the general public in an extending edition only available through this web site.

This edition is not a re-issue, since there never was an original issue to the public.

link

wots the website address?

Social source share

History:

link

There is a thread about this on the forum which explains the differences and also points out the contradiction in what is written above. The case for the 'prosecution' (in terms of the supposed bootleg nature of the *originals...i.e 70's pressings) rests, seemingly, purely on the fact that the record wasn't (apparently) issued to the public at the time, and so, therefore (apparently) isn't the original...but...(apparently) something else entirely different. Contrary to what you're reading above, those copies (as advertised above) are re-issues. Full stop. They were done a few years back after the guy saw someone selling a used copy for about $125, which made him get all angry. I've probably still got the (initially evasive) emails he sent me somewhere relating to this. As Gringo points out, the originals (70's issues) don't have the engineer's name on the label. The represses (not boots, btw) do.

Social source share

Also, having just seen the item on ebay https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I'll stick my neck out and say this is one of the 'later' pressings, as you can just work out (on the crappy photo) a line of text under the group's name which is probably the engineer's name. I'd also wager this is Cole selling these himself, seeing as the seller is based in Richmond, CA...same as the record/label. Be careful

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Also, having just seen the item on ebay https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I'll stick my neck out and say this is one of the 'later' pressings, as you can just work out (on the crappy photo) a line of text under the group's name which is probably the engineer's name. I'd also wager this is Cole selling these himself, seeing as the seller is based in Richmond, CA...same as the record/label. Be careful

link

I don't think anybody will bid on it anyway, it's too badly listed. The only people who have seen it are probably people who have looked at this thread.

tee hee. :thumbsup:

Social source share

There is a thread about this on the forum which explains the differences and also points out the contradiction in what is written above. The case for the 'prosecution' (in terms of the supposed bootleg nature of the *originals...i.e 70's pressings) rests, seemingly, purely on the fact that the record wasn't (apparently) issued to the public at the time, and so, therefore (apparently) isn't the original...but...(apparently) something else entirely different. Contrary to what you're reading above, those copies (as advertised above) are re-issues. Full stop. They were done a few years back after the guy saw someone selling a used copy for about $125, which made him get all angry. I've probably still got the (initially evasive) emails he sent me somewhere relating to this. As Gringo points out, the originals (70's issues) don't have the engineer's name on the label. The represses (not boots, btw) do.

link

If Chalky or Derek Pearson reads this thread, do you still have a copy of the emails I sent you that were from Elijah Cole?

D

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

i've just had a look at the e-bay entry

amazing isn't it, a record from 1975 but it's in mint condition like it just came out of the factory

:thumbsup::(:D:yes::D:D:lol::D:(:D

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

It did...about 2 years ago. And when this batch finally sell out in 2019... :D

link

do you think the reserve on the e-bay listing might be $164 by any chance? :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's unlikely you will find an original has most of all those available are Boots, the way to tell is the real Mixed Emotions don't have the engineer's name on the label. The represses do have the engineer's name on the label :D  

D

link

Noooooo...Elijah Cole says the boots are originals and the originals are boots :D:thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

If Chalky or Derek Pearson reads this thread, do you still have a copy of the emails I sent you that were from Elijah Cole?

D

link

yep....

In response to your inquiry:

The Mixed Emotions Single "Can you feel the Funk/Gold of my Life" was

produced by Elijah Cole, Jr. in 1975 in a limited edition of 300

records under his own label. These were never for sale to the general

public and were given away to friends and family only.

Elijah Cole recently rereleased his original single for the very first

time using the original master. For the very first time this record is

now available for sale to the public. The only way that you can get

these original singles is through his daughter, Felicia Kemper.

Be aware that we have never authorized the reprint or distribution by

other sources.

If you have any further questions, please let us know. Thank you for

your interest and concern.

Regards,

Felicia and Bjorn Kemper

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Cheaper than buying it from their website https://www.rock-way.com  :thumbsup:

:D

link

funny that he listed it as '70s pop'. i think it's his wishfull thinking that it was a pop record...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

has anyone told him he's rumbled?

link

Tried to offer him advice when he first emailed me with his 'claims' about 2 years ago. Didn't listen and seemed to be on a mission. Good luck to the guy, though he can't expect folk not to advise others if the question is raised.

Social source share

Noooooo...Elijah Cole says the boots are originals and the originals are boots  :lol:   :(   :(

link

Noooo, he's saying the original's don't exist because they weren't "issued" to the public - that's what he's saying isn't it? :lol: If we continue this "theory" then Frank Wilson doesn't exist either :(

Agree he seems totally screwed up about things. And he's not the only one - you should see the "hoops" I had to go through before I interviewed one singer on my old radio show....signed lawyers letters, agreement not to copy the recording, destruction of interview on radio's electronic media, and as a gesture of "good faith" a very "gracious" waiver of fees by kind permission etc.....if I didn't deal with US lawyers everyday, I might have been a bit "taken aback" by all that... :(

Social source share

thought this may happen,

got a email of your man, as of interest thought worth a pass on, however have to ask again, any future comments please post in the forum not email via site

ta

mike

Please forward this message to the guy name Trouble, because

he seems to be having trouble with the information regardng a bootleg

record I am suppose to be distributing or selling on Ebay. Please

inform him that I am willing to send him a copy of the first 45 rpm of

the Mixed Emotions Record "Gold of my life" for him to compaire with the

European boots that he may have or any of his frends may have, Their

are violines on the original first copies pressed in 1975, I made more

than one pressing of the records in 1975, the pirators were distributing

the second pressings in Europe, no one have ever heard to my knowledge

the first pressings. The First Pressings in fact does have the

(Arrangers name on the label) and it also has strings on the record. If

any DJ in the UK want to settle the question of me bootlegging my

records or if this in fact is a different recording, have them to send

me the postage so that they will not be feeding false information the

their viewers.

Once again I never authorized any of the Mixed Emotions recordings tobe

sold to the General public, that is why all of the recordngs from 1975

until this day are BOOTLEGS, if they want the real deal check out Ebay.

Regards

Elijah Cole

Sicmu music bm

https://community.webtv.net/Cole3/poetry

Social source share

I must admit I am becoming a little bored of all this - so now there are two "original" pressings of this - both from 75 and the first of which didn't get issued to the public, has strings on, and the arrangers name, and the second which had neither? So the one that has been pressed recently has the arrangers name on, but is the first time it's been made available to the public???? zzz

Social source share

I must admit I am becoming a little bored of all this - so now there are two "original" pressings of this - both from 75 and the first of which didn't get issued to the public, has strings on, and the arrangers name, and the second which had neither? So the one that has been pressed recently has the arrangers name on, but is the first time it's been made available to the public???? zzz

link

The copies with arrangers name on it are recent REPRESSES (not bootlegs) -

the others are originals from 1975. There is NO difference between the

two versions*. Hope this helps, Steve!

Cheers,

Christian

* and yes I've had both releases!

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Has it struck anyone that the reason it is listed as pop might be that it is a pop record? I am still puzzled by that jewish thing BTW, anyone explain that to me?

Social source share

Has it struck anyone that the reason it is listed as pop might be that it is a pop record?

Well I remember seeing Glen Medeiros 80s pop-hit "Nothing's gonna change my love for you" listed as 'rare modern soul' on ebay. And Diana Ross disco stuff as 'northern soul' whistling.gif Is that true as well whistling.gif ??

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

The mans a fool....

If he sold them at $40 each, many people would buy them as legitimate second pressings.

link

yeah, i agree biggrin.gif

all he's doing by trying to sell them for $164 (or more on ebay) is undermining the legitimacy of what he's doing so that no-one with any sense will touch them with a bargepole

if he wants to sell on the rare-soul collectors marketplace (and lets face it, there isn't any demand elsewhere) then there are pre-existing protocols for what is an "original", "reissue", or whatever. his assertions that the re-presses are "originals" is contrary to the reality of this.

btw, the soul supply album notes claim that the track is licenced from the original record company - i can't believe that this isn't true blush.gif

Social source share

Guest jinx74

the clue is in the deadwax -

original: EC-5709 (the 'E' looks like a backwards 3)

cole repress: EC-5709 (the 'E' looks like an E)

thats the only way to tell which is a first "promo" press and the later press that cole did in Ohio where his daughter lives.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

thought this may happen,

got a email of your man, as of interest thought worth a pass on, however have to ask again, any future comments please post in the forum not email via site

ta

mike

Please forward this message to the guy name Trouble, because

he seems to be having trouble with the information regardng a bootleg

record I am suppose to be distributing or selling on  Ebay.  Please

inform him that I am willing to send him a copy of the first 45 rpm of

the Mixed Emotions Record "Gold of my life" for him to compaire with the

European boots that he may have or any of his frends may have,  Their

are violines on the original first copies pressed in 1975, I made more

than one pressing of the records in 1975, the pirators were distributing

the second pressings in Europe, no one have ever heard to my knowledge

the first pressings. The  First Pressings in fact does have the

(Arrangers name on the label) and it also has  strings on the record. If

any DJ in the UK want to settle the question of me bootlegging my

records or if this in fact is a different recording, have them to send

me the postage  so that they will not be feeding  false information the

their  viewers.

Once again  I never authorized any of the Mixed Emotions recordings tobe

sold  to the General public, that is why all of the recordngs  from 1975

until this day are BOOTLEGS, if they want the real deal check out Ebay.

Regards

Elijah  Cole

Sicmu music bm

https://community.webtv.net/Cole3/poetry

link

Arrgh, bless him. whistling.gif

the 1975 pressings may be unofficial 'bootlegs', but they are still the historical artifacts that the collectors want, not his reissues. I assume Elijah is reading this, so perhaps someone could explain to him why collecotrs want historical artifacts, rather than recent official reissues so that he can drop his price to a normal price for a new pressing. People would buy his reissues if he sold them at the right price, maybe $20 would see them fly out the door. :shades:

Social source share

Think the point everyone is missing, is that for American music collectors , if an old record never got past the disc jockey promotional stage, then in their eyes it was NEVER released at all.

On the other hand, in the eyes of rare soul collectors , such records WERE regarded to have been originally released , as demos of course , as we refer to them..........

Thats why American discographers often fail to list records that only get to the promo stage... and I think that is how Elijah Cole sees the situation...

Social source share

Guest jinx74

actually i think its a combination...

1. EC caught wind of the boot of "Gold..." and went to take action. foreigners booted his shit and took those ends without giving him any publishing dough. after trying to contact them and failing he decided to press new copies for sale that werent promo. now hes trying to do a legitimate sale of it.

why, in his mind, does a +$100 price tag stick?

2. foreigners finding his number and calling him time and time and time and time and time and time and time, etc... again throwing ridiculous numbers at him. "i can send you $200, $300, etc. for a copy of an original Mixed Emotions." i dont want to get into an ethics and morals of buying records with anyone... at all... but these are the plain facts told to me by a few musicians/record label owners....

blame (y)ourselves for this...

just an opinion...

Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest bxlsoul

Hi dear Soul lovers,

I found yesterday something really interesting about Mixed Emotions :

A belgian issue with artsleeve from 1975. The record is on EMI with the SABAM logo on it (official national copyright)

Here's scans from the sleeve and label :

img300.jpg

img301.jpg

Remark : An error on the sleeve : the name of the artist : Mixed Emotion (we're well in belgium °-)

though correct on the label.

Strange bu It might be the only official release ?

I hope this could help, but it might also be more complicated now

unsure.gif

Best,

Fred / Souligan - Brussels

Social source share

Maybe this is the 'boot' Cole was on about when he first contacted me about this. He was on about EMI booting it in Europe or something. Maybe what happened was he tried to sell it into EMi who either didn't give him the fee he was after or 'forgot' to pay him or neither and did pay him but didn't turn him into a mega star(?)

Whatever's true, top thread resuscitating! :D

Social source share

I dont understand his rant that the original ones were boots! and it was never released

Yes it was in Europe on EMI so why is he not suing them if it was never released.

I think the gentleman has selective memory - However I may be wrong and he didnt know it was released in Europe-

Once had a conversation with Bo Donaldson and he didnt know -Girl dont make me wait- was released in UK.

I like the record but is is pop! Did they not also release another one in Europe or an LP or something or have I got selective memory (Senile dementia) :D

Having now read the other thread yes he did know it was released in Europe-

Im confused!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert