• Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't think you are wrong.Sometimes records are rare cos they're rubbish

and plentiful cos they are popular and good :lol:

Oooo I shouldnt say that if I was you people on here will jump to the defence of shit rare records and say there good. :) But I agree sometimes records are rare cos there rubbish. laugh.gif

Social source share

Think you missed the word sometimes out!! And in answer to your question that is what The Wheel did...............

I didn't miss the word 'sometimes' out, because I didn't specifically quote you did I?

Whilst you have a valid point as to the early days and playlists from the Wheel, do you honestly believe this scene would be where it is today if playlists were restricted to known and easily available tunes such as Motown, Stax and Atlantic etc (as good as they may be)?

Of course rarity does not equate quality, neither does the opposite.

Records usually become rare/expensive due to demand outstripping supply...and shite records will always be shite records, regardless of quantity they were pressed in.

Not being arsey btw...I just get fed up off hearing the 'Rare cus they are shite and never sold' and 'Emperors New Clothes' statements that get bandied about on here so often.....

Social source share

Good point well made but if there would have been no Motown,Stax to start it all off in the first place well............

Don't disagree, which is why I used the word 'Built' and not 'Founded' :lol:

Also, as the 'rarest' record on this scene happens to be an overplayed Motown track, it kinda makes a mockery of those that spout out the old 'it's only rare cus it's shite and never sold' chestnut...don't you think? biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My point being, Why do we covet the Ultra rarities so much. Try and find a decent song instead of a really rare record. Personally i feel the "scene" would be sssooo much better off for it.

How wrong am I?

What do you mean 'we'? laugh.gif I spend all my time playing 45s that might be good but are dirt cheap, looking for that great new sound. Sod the rarities, give me cheap quality unknown instead of overplayed mega rarity every day of the week. :lol:

Social source share

What do you mean 'we'? :yes: I spend all my time playing 45s that might be good but are dirt cheap, looking for that great new sound. Sod the rarities, give me cheap quality unknown instead of overplayed mega rarity every day of the week. :yes:

this is the right way for me too!! :thumbup:

Bloodyhell, it was only a passing thought, almost all venues in the beggining had their own identities playing there brand, style of soul/RnB. But as time goes by it seems a fair reflection to say if there are top 500's and thousands, rightly so, the scene was built on certain tunes that became national and they become favourites and in a lot of cases it seems to be the rarest!! that is coveted most rather than perhaps the best. Again it is down to personal choice. But I'd rather spend 10 dollars than £1,000 and enjoy 100 discs rather than one, for my grand.

For example, hyperthetically, if we had a soul-source mp3 post. listen to rare oldies or listen to quality seldom heard........I'd go for the latter first. then listen to the rare oldies after.

Thinking about it seriously for a minute, there are probably enough records, of quality out there to regenerate the scene 3 times over...If we( as in generalising, not suggesting anyone else is involved in my madness) all forgot about rarities for a year...and played quality seldom heards rather than seldom seens, would the music be better?

A passing thought? :D . I'm off, if anyone wants me, I've gone away. :yes:

Social source share

this is the right way for me too!! :yes:

Bloodyhell, it was only a passing thought, almost all venues in the beggining had their own identities playing there brand, style of soul/RnB. But as time goes by it seems a fair reflection to say if there are top 500's and thousands, rightly so, the scene was built on certain tunes that became national and they become favourites and in a lot of cases it seems to be the rarest!! that is coveted most rather than perhaps the best. Again it is down to personal choice. But I'd rather spend 10 dollars than £1,000 and enjoy 100 discs rather than one, for my grand.

For example, hyperthetically, if we had a soul-source mp3 post. listen to rare oldies or listen to quality seldom heard........I'd go for the latter first. then listen to the rare oldies after.

Thinking about it seriously for a minute, there are probably enough records, of quality out there to regenerate the scene 3 times over...If we( as in generalising, not suggesting anyone else is involved in my madness) all forgot about rarities for a year...and played quality seldom heards rather than seldom seens, would the music be better?

A passing thought? :yes: . I'm off, if anyone wants me, I've gone away. :yes:

I initially read your opening post as a debate between the attraction of rarer, obscure tunes against cheaper more easily accessible tracks.

I now read it as though the rare tracks you are less fussed about are the top 500 overplayed oldies etc, and the cheaper tunes are unknowns/semi-knowns.

Somewhat ambiguous posting methods, but I deffo agree with your later comments....wonder if Webbydublin still agree with you mind :D

Social source share

I initially read your opening post as a debate between the attraction of rarer, obscure tunes against cheaper more easily accessible tracks.

I now read it as though the rare tracks you are less fussed about are the top 500 overplayed oldies etc, and the cheaper tunes are unknowns/semi-knowns.

Somewhat ambiguous posting methods, but I deffo agree with your later comments....wonder if Webbydublin still agree with you mind :yes:

How many sillibobs in ambemiclueless?

Social source share

I didn't miss the word 'sometimes' out, because I didn't specifically quote you did I?

Whilst you have a valid point as to the early days and playlists from the Wheel, do you honestly believe this scene would be where it is today if playlists were restricted to known and easily available tunes such as Motown, Stax and Atlantic etc (as good as they may be)?

Records usually become rare/expensive due to demand outstripping supply...and shite records will always be shite records, regardless of quantity they were pressed in.

Not being arsey btw...I just get fed up off hearing the 'Rare cus they are shite and never sold' and 'Emperors New Clothes' statements that get bandied about on here so often.....

Being far too young to have gone to the Wheel, but having listened to my elders, yes popular tunes of the day were played, alongside more obscure items,

But the "Big Bang" really started after the Wheel's record library was nicked and people like, dare I say it, Ian Levine, Brian Philips et al stated bringing their RARER tunes in.

???

Tony

Social source share

Being far too young to have gone to the Wheel, but having listened to my elders, yes popular tunes of the day were played, alongside more obscure items,

But the "Big Bang" really started after the Wheel's record library was nicked and people like, dare I say it, Ian Levine, Brian Philips et al stated bringing their RARER tunes in.

???

Tony

Social source share

???

Tony

Social source share

Definately African...

North or South..................?

Well, funnily enough north. This is why, it is thought. the european variety exists. Gibralter, you see, is actually a piece of Africa. And when it split from it's main body, It brought about the existance of the european strain. which survived the ferry ride over.

:D True....or Bluff. :lol: (keep my face straight, can't give it away....can't give it away)

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

some sounds which were classesd as not rare & shite many moons ago might now be put in the rarity & great sounds bracket now. Peoples taste in music can change and to me this can reflect in the price of records from year to year.The seventies was mainly a uptempo period, but now it seems a mid tempo beat that people seem to prefer.ME ! I love it when somebody can dig out the 100 m p h sound, thats not saying i don't like any other decent soul record.

post-5802-1240942699_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert