Brighton Mini All-nighter

Good afternoon soulies.... thumbsup.gif

I must say that last night was....FANTASTIC....this was the first time for me at the baylon lounge so i did'nt know what to exspect...Ruth went a few years back & what she told me about the place was 100%...top venue with a top top dance floor & if you don't believe me ask mr Tim Smithers he was on it for most of the night...(looking forward to hear you spin some toon's at the PEGION CLUB that's if i can make it as i will probbaly be at the RAILWAY CLUB next sat) Ruth & myself arrived at the venue about 10ish...seeing Paddy & the gang outside it was'nt long before the doors opened & we where aloud in...& with in 20 mins the place started to fill up...and with in 30 mins the danceing had started...can't remember the dj's name who went on first(sorry) but he defo new what the early birds wanted...playing some classic toons...then it was linda's turn...& by this time there where 80 plus in the place & i must say i really enjoyed her set...so did the rest of the crowd...the floor was buzzing...Paddy & Clive came on next & once again the floor responded to some top toons...then it was my turn i hope i done ok for you ppl...mr Steve C was up next and he did what the crowd exspected from him and that was to blow them away with his box of 45's...(mesage from ruth brill... thumbup.gif )...

Steve M was up next(sorry can't spell your sir name) & once again the floor responded to some top top toons being played out....

Was a gr8 night with a gr8 atmospher with gr8 ppl...they really know how to enjoy themselfs down that neck of the woods...will defo be going back down if they put another one on(hope so)...good to see mr Preston,Nicki,Tracey,Jane lewis,Tim Smithers,Chris from hastings who i hav'nt seen for about 4 years(see you at the All-Dayer M8)...and the guy seeling 45's forgot your name...you drive the BM...loads more ppl aswell to many names to mention....i kick myself for not getting a B&B as we had to leave before the end..we left around 2.30ish and the place was still kicking...

A big well done must go out to the organizers of this event BLOODY FANTASTIC NIGHT....total no's in the door i don't know but it was defo ramed...

take no notice of the spelling mistakes...lol

catch up soon ppl...

Alfie... :thumbup:

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH & LOVIN IT.... :D:lol::D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'll put me play list up later...i need a cuppa tea...

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest the major

Good afternoon soulies.... thumbsup.gif

I must say that last night was....FANTASTIC....this was the first time for me at the baylon lounge so i did'nt know what to exspect...Ruth went a few years back & what she told me about the place was 100%...top venue with a top top dance floor & if you don't believe me ask mr Tim Smithers he was on it for most of the night...(looking forward to hear you spin some toon's at the PEGION CLUB that's if i can make it as i will probbaly be at the RAILWAY CLUB next sat) Ruth & myself arrived at the venue about 10ish...seeing Paddy & the gang outside it was'nt long before the doors opened & we where aloud in...& with in 20 mins the place started to fill up...and with in 30 mins the danceing had started...can't remember the dj's name who went on first(sorry) but he defo new what the early birds wanted...playing some classic toons...then it was linda's turn...& by this time there where 80 plus in the place & i must say i really enjoyed her set...so did the rest of the crowd...the floor was buzzing...Paddy & Clive came on next & once again the floor responded to some top toons...then it was my turn i hope i done ok for you ppl...mr Steve C was up next and he did what the crowd exspected from him and that was to blow them away with his box of 45's...(mesage from ruth brill... thumbup.gif )...

Steve M was up next(sorry can't spell your sir name) & once again the floor responded to some top top toons being played out....

Was a gr8 night with a gr8 atmospher with gr8 ppl...they really know how to enjoy themselfs down that neck of the woods...will defo be going back down if they put another one on(hope so)...good to see mr Preston,Nicki,Tracey,Jane lewis,Tim Smithers,Chris from hastings who i hav'nt seen for about 4 years(see you at the All-Dayer M8)...and the guy seeling 45's forgot your name...you drive the BM...loads more ppl aswell to many names to mention....i kick myself for not getting a B&B as we had to leave before the end..we left around 2.30ish and the place was still kicking...

A big well done must go out to the organizers of this event BLOODY FANTASTIC NIGHT....total no's in the door i don't know but it was defo ramed...

catch up soon ppl...

Alfie... :thumbup:

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH & LOVIN IT.... :D:lol::D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Spot on there Alfie, t'was a good nite indeed; What a top venue. Peeled off about 330 to the BnB via a full fry on the seafront - corking.

Afternoon soulie's.....

Playlist as promised.... thumbsup.gif

45 Minute set...

Barbara Lynn...I'm A Good Woman

Mack Rice...Baby I'm Coming Home..(reguest)

Jimmy Robins...I Can't Please You

The supremes...love Is Like A Itching In My heart

The Magicians...Just A Little Faith And Understanding

Johnny Wyatt...This Thing Called Love

The Ethics...Look At Me Now

The Stagemasters...Baby I'm Here Just To love You

Dee Dee sharp...What Kind Of Lady

The O'Jays...Hold On

The Epitome Of Sound...You Don't Love Me

Yvonne Baker...You Did'nt Say A Word

Marie Knight...That's No Way To Treat A Girl

JJ Barnes...Tell Me A'int That The Truth(unissued Motown)

Jimmy Hughes...It Ain't What You Got

The Divines...I Gotta Make It

The Girls...The Hurts Still Here

Hope you liked what i played... :thumbup:

Alfie

Guest rach

Just had a phone call from Simon Preston, he would like to add.. travelled down from Oxford, enjoyed the evening thoroughly :lol: good atmosphere, great music, all the dj's did a great job. Lovely to meet new people and a big thankyou to Jane Hastings for a lovely chat biggrin.gif Cheers, looking forward to a repeat of a great mini nighter.

Guest BintofSoul

BintofSoul sisters had an excellent time thumbup.gif . Fantastic DJ line up, excellent sets from everyone and great venue, no talc needed on that floor. I really enjoyed Alfie's (thanks for playing me request :lol: !), Sue Brick and the Soul Spinners sets. I missed my friend Paddy Rozier ( prep for Bisley eh Paddy!) & Linda's but no doubt they were great. Lovely to see so many soulie friends all under the same roof.

Thanks for the CD Manus that was very kind of you.

Nicki & Tracey

XXXXX

Guest andyrattigan

Good night had by myself. Some great sets. I really enjoyed Linda's set at the beginning some classy oldies played particularly Willie Mitchell-That Driving Beat and some other crackers as well.

Steve Mcmahon played some great 7ts both in the modern room and in the Northern Room which was quite refreshing from the usual 6ts only slots that tend to predominate in most northern main rooms. Sue and Simon Penfold played blinders as well, lots of stompers, kept me dancing.

Nice to see the usual friendly faces there. Sue, Dougie, Ion, Paddy and Manus.

Sorry Manus for ranting about politics and history. I tend to get a bit too serious even at soul nights when I should be dancing. Good to see you and your friend Damien it was nice to meet him again. His story about the donkey made me laugh.

Some woman, obviously not a soul fan, came up to me and said, "are you on something or do you normally dance like this?"

Thats all she said and then walked off. It made me laugh! Im not sure was she paying me a compliment ot taking the pish????

Edited by andyrattigan

Thanks sincerely to all here who have taken the trouble to comment on the event, it's very much appreciated.

I don't think it's an understatement to say that all the DJs rose to the occasion and fed off the vibes from the floor. Some in particular really surprised and impressed a few people. The downstairs room really seemed to work well in providing a contrast and many were happy to spend all night there!

....and finally thanks to so many for just being there and lending your support. For Clive and me it was pretty humbling to hear of so many who had travelled so far but for once everything seemed to click. Even the weather and the beach bathed in moonlight.....aaahh.

News of another one soon hopefully.

Thanks sincerely to all here who have taken the trouble to comment on the event, it's very much appreciated.

I don't think it's an understatement to say that all the DJs rose to the occasion and fed off the vibes from the floor. Some in particular really surprised and impressed a few people. The downstairs room really seemed to work well in providing a contrast and many were happy to spend all night there!

....and finally thanks to so many for just being there and lending your support. For Clive and me it was pretty humbling to hear of so many who had travelled so far but for once everything seemed to click. Even the weather and the beach bathed in moonlight.....aaahh.

Paddy & Clive - I think you've cracked it !! Personally, this one lived up to & then exceeded my expectations. I love this venue as have always felt it has the perfect feel & balance for a Brighton do. As it's not part of the main Brighton strip it doesn't tend to attract the often frustrating, casual droppers by. I also think the slightly run-down feel of the place itself lends itself perfectly to the feel of some of the better soul do's I've been to in the past - the Capitol Soul Club springs to mind. Having the extra space downstairs is a great bonus as you can please pretty much anyone who loves soul music :unsure:

It would be great if you can secure this on a regular basis as I believe it will become a destination for those who didn't make it this time around & will no doubt hear of just how good it was. I'd definitely be up for it as I relished the opportunity to play both kinds of my favourite music to an enthusiastic & appreciative crowd thumbup.gif

Keep on keepin' on.. :D

play lists to follow..

Edited by deeve

BintofSoul sisters had an excellent time thumbup.gif . Fantastic DJ line up, excellent sets from everyone and great venue, no talc needed on that floor. I really enjoyed Alfie's (thanks for playing me request :unsure: !), Sue Brick and the Soul Spinners sets. I missed my friend Paddy Rozier ( prep for Bisley eh Paddy!) & Linda's but no doubt they were great. Lovely to see so many soulie friends all under the same roof.

Thanks for the CD Manus that was very kind of you.

Nicki & Tracey

XXXXX

Hope you enjoy the CD Nicki - Hectic weekend but what a great couple of nights.

Cheers Manus

Good night had by myself. Some great sets. I really enjoyed Linda's set at the beginning some classy oldies played particularly Willie Mitchell-That Driving Beat and some other crackers as well.

Steve Mcmahon played some great 7ts both in the modern room and in the Northern Room which was quite refreshing from the usual 6ts only slots that tend to predominate in most northern main rooms. Sue and Simon Penfold played blinders as well, lots of stompers, kept me dancing.

Nice to see the usual friendly faces there. Sue, Dougie, Ion, Paddy and Manus.

Sorry Manus for ranting about politics and history. I tend to get a bit too serious even at soul nights when I should be dancing. Good to see you and your friend Damien it was nice to meet him again. His story about the donkey made me laugh.

Some woman, obviously not a soul fan, came up to me and said, "are you on something or do you normally dance like this?"

Thats all she said and then walked off. It made me laugh! Im not sure was she paying me a compliment ot taking the pish????

Don't worry Andy you weren't ranting - thought it was a great night at a fantastic venue - really hope Paddy puts on more events there.

All the best

Manus

Here's my tuppence worth:

Downstairs 11:00 ~ 12:00

Kim English - It Makes A Difference

Lenny Williams - Gotta Lotta Luv

Sean Oliver - You & Me

Dennis Taylor - In The Mood

Rahsaan Patterson - Where You Are

Mr Beatnick - What's Going On Reconstruction

Michael Wycoff - Looking Up To You

Pockets - Come Go With Me

Lou Courtney - What Do You Want Me to Do

Milton Wright - Keep It Up

Upstairs 1:15 ~ 1:45

Rufus Wood - Before 2001

The Decisions - I Can't Forget About You

Johnny Howard - The Chase Is on

Sam Dees - Lonely For You Baby [alt mix]

Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure

Marvin Holmes & Justice - You Better Keep Her

Imperial Wonders - You Live Only Once

Marvin Gaye - Come Get To This

Bobby Sheen - Something New To Do

We The People - Making My Daydream Real

21st Century Ltd - Your Smallest Wish

Darrow Fletcher - My Young Misery

Edited by deeve

I can only echo what everyone elas has said great venue, great crowd, nice to see friends I do not see often (you all know who you are) and it was a real pleasure to DJ in front of such an appreciative crowd, thanks to everyone for your kind words about my set, it really is appreciated....... :thumbup:

All the other DJs I heard in the Northern room played great sets and had me dancing (on the sidlines) more than I have done for ages, suffering now with very achy knees......... sad.gif

I will post my set up later today when I find my record box.

Looking forward to the next Brighton Beach mini-nighter in August I think.......... :thumbsup:

Linda

Thanks to the 'soul survivors' for putting this one on and to all the dj's for some excellent tunes. Split my time between the two rooms so unfortunately can't hear everyone). Good crowd, venue etc... so look forward to another - any dates for the diary ?

Good afternoon soulies.... :lol:

I must say that last night was....FANTASTIC....this was the first time for me at the baylon lounge so i did'nt know what to exspect...Ruth went a few years back & what she told me about the place was 100%...top venue with a top top dance floor & if you don't believe me ask mr Tim Smithers he was on it for most of the night...(looking forward to hear you spin some toon's at the PEGION CLUB that's if i can make it as i will probbaly be at the RAILWAY CLUB next sat) Ruth & myself arrived at the venue about 10ish...seeing Paddy & the gang outside it was'nt long before the doors opened & we where aloud in...& with in 20 mins the place started to fill up...and with in 30 mins the danceing had started...can't remember the dj's name who went on first(sorry) but he defo new what the early birds wanted...playing some classic toons...then it was linda's turn...& by this time there where 80 plus in the place & i must say i really enjoyed her set...so did the rest of the crowd...the floor was buzzing...Paddy & Clive came on next & once again the floor responded to some top toons...then it was my turn i hope i done ok for you ppl...mr Steve C was up next and he did what the crowd exspected from him and that was to blow them away with his box of 45's...(mesage from ruth brill... :lol: )...

catch up soon ppl...

Alfie... :lol:

SO MUCH SOUL DOWN SOUTH & LOVIN IT.... :lol::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Had a great nite, and as Alfie as said, great music, a good mix of quility oldies and newies, superb dancefloor, and people, will be back for sure, must go ,getting kicked of my sons pc as mine has crashed

Guest the major

Genuinely good nite - downstairs room completely passed me by; I was havin such a blast upstairs.

Olive Branch?

Towerfull O' Soul

A night of rare, northern and Tamla Motown soul, 6Ts RnB, boogaloo and some early funk.

Come to listen, stay to dance....It's vinyl heaven.

From 7PM 'til Midnite

In the Cellar club, at the River Bar,

206 Tower Bridge Road, SE1 2UP

(Just at the southern end of Tower Bridge) Admission £3 OTD

Friday 22nd May 2009 Djs, The Major, Ginger Dave, Roger Hill

Friday 24July 2009

Djs, The Major, Ginger Dave, Roger Hill AND SPECIAL GUEST JO WALLACE

Source Advert