• Replies 45
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Beeks

CANT DO LINKS FOLKS BUT CHECK OUT THIS EBAY ITEM :ohmy: 230345603871.

BRI PINCH.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 7TH JUNE, HORSE AND GROOM PUB, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Jesus you gave me a fright there...just sold an invitations on silver blue for £30 and was praying it wasn't that one...it wasn't :)

Social source share

Jesus you gave me a fright there...just sold an invitations on silver blue for £30 and was praying it wasn't that one...it wasn't :ohmy:

THIS IS A BALLAD.... A GOOD ONE I KNOW, AND I KNOW IT'S GOT A DECENT B SIDE IN LOVE HAS TO GROW.....BUT.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

Guest Beeks

THIS IS A BALLAD.... A GOOD ONE I KNOW, AND I KNOW IT'S GOT A DECENT B SIDE IN LOVE HAS TO GROW.....BUT.

BRI PINCH

Yeah it was 'Look on the good side' I sold :ohmy:

Social source share

CANT DO LINKS FOLKS BUT CHECK OUT THIS EBAY ITEM :ohmy: 230345603871.

BRI PINCH.

Thought £50 would be more than enough for one of these Bri :)

Social source share

SURE NEV :D , AND THATS WITH THE DECENT B SIDE, SURELY THIS SHOULD BE WORTH A TENNER.

BRI PINCH.

Bri - there are two versions of the song - the demo - the mono side (I believe) is extended. I understand it is very collectable with Sweet Soul (Japanese?) collectors. Did'nt think it was worth that much mind :)

I would be happy to sell my copy for a lot less than that :ohmy: and make do with the issue with the great 'Love Has to Grow' on the other side!

Mike

Social source share

Bri - there are two versions of the song - the demo - the mono side (I believe) is extended. I understand it is very collectable with Sweet Soul (Japanese?) collectors. Did'nt think it was worth that much mind :)

I would be happy to sell my copy for a lot less than that :ohmy: and make do with the issue with the great 'Love Has to Grow' on the other side!

Mike

NORMALLY SEE THESE DEMOS LISTED FROM A TENNER UP TO £25, IT IS THEIR HARDEST RECORD ON SILVER BLUE THO'

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Mike

YEP YOUR RIGHT MIKE ,THE EXTENDED VERSION IS COLLECTABLE OUT THERE,ANYONE GOT BINGO WE CANT GET ENOUGH,ITS FANTASTIC FROM A FANTASTIC LOGO IMO.

BAZ A :D

Social source share

Don't I have this on UK Polydor? unsure.gif

:lol:

Sean

If you don't, then I definately do have one - in fact I've had a few spares on Polydor :thumbup:

But as already mentioned, the Silver Blue issue is probably the harder of the 4 releases by them on the label. The only one I don't have on a US copy - might I add!

But I certainly wouldn't pay silly money for a copy :wicked:

Invitations They say the girl's crazy / For your precious love SILVER BLUE 801

Invitations Lets love (And find together)` / Love has to grow SILVER BLUE 804

Invitations Living together is keeping us apart / I didn't know SILVER BLUE 809

Invitations Look on the good side / Pt2 SILVER BLUE 818

Anyway - here's a scan of the 45 in question:

post-5094-1243984794_thumb.jpg

The side I prefer anyway!

Social source share

CANT DO LINKS FOLKS BUT CHECK OUT THIS EBAY ITEM :thumbup: 230345603871.

BRI PINCH.

Rare it may be but I don't like it, bit to funky for me, give me their awesome "Look on the good side" any time.

Regards,

Alan

Social source share

AGREE ALAN, THINK LOOK ON THE GOOD SIDE IS THERE BEST TUNE ON SILVER BLUE. LOVE HAS TO GROW IS THEIR RAREST SILVER BLUE 45, STRANGE IT WAS THE ONLY ONE TO GET ISSUED OVER HERE AND THE UK POLYDOR COPY IS MORE COMMON THAN THE USA SILVER BLUE 45. AM SURE A COUPLE OF THEIR RELEASES ALSO CAME OUT ON FRENCH POLYDOR TOO.

REGARDS BRI.

Social source share

AGREE ALAN, THINK LOOK ON THE GOOD SIDE IS THERE BEST TUNE ON SILVER BLUE. LOVE HAS TO GROW IS THEIR RAREST SILVER BLUE 45, STRANGE IT WAS THE ONLY ONE TO GET ISSUED OVER HERE AND THE UK POLYDOR COPY IS MORE COMMON THAN THE USA SILVER BLUE 45. AM SURE A COUPLE OF THEIR RELEASES ALSO CAME OUT ON FRENCH POLYDOR TOO.

REGARDS BRI.

Both "Look On The Good Side" and "Love Has To Grow" are on French Polydor with pic sleeves.

The wonderful "They Say The Girls Crazy" didn't make it though!

Thos' crazeee French!

:D

Sean

Social source share

Think we have all the info now guys :thumbsup:

For years I've only ever had the three common Silver Blue releases PLUS the UK Polydor 45 of their fourth!

BUT as luck would have it I've just bought meself a loverly Silver Blue issue of 'Love has to grow' so I now (finally) have the Silver Blue set :D

And whoever said 'Love has to grow' was their worst, I have to strongly disagree! I rate it as third out of all their Silver Blue released sides...........and one that would be a great side to slip into a forward thinking 70's set!

Cheers

Steve

ps I now have my UK Polydor copy for sale :lol:

Social source share

Think we have all the info now guys :D

And whoever said 'Love has to grow' was their worst, I have to strongly disagree! I rate it as third out of all their Silver Blue released sides...........and one that would be a great side to slip into a forward thinking 70's set!

I think you'll find a smiley after that comment Steve - I reckon Sean was just kidding!

Anyway, speaking of French releases - I know of another one which was released over there:

Living together is keeping us apart / I didn't know

I quite like the flip side of this, a nice Lew Kirton lead ballad - not might I add, on the US Promo copies - you need the stock copy for this side :thumbsup:

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

I think you'll find a smiley after that comment Steve - I reckon Sean was just kidding!

Anyway, speaking of French releases - I know of another one which was released over there:

Living together is keeping us apart / I didn't know

I quite like the flip side of this, a nice Lew Kirton lead ballad - not might I add, on the US Promo copies - you need the stock copy for this side :thumbsup:

Hey John, let Poserman fight his own battles :lol::lol::lol:

Although in the great man's defence, even if someone did think it was the worse of the 4, that still makes it a fookin good record cos they are all quality 70's dancers and/or ballads that blow many releases from that period out the water!!!!!

Talking of double sided white demos on Silver Blue, I'd say you need stock copies of ALL four Invitations 45's!!!! 8 cracking sides (if you count Part 2 of 'Look on the good side) :lol:

And while I'm on me soap box, what about the intro to 'Living together'..............possibly the best 70's 'strings n things' intro ever???? Pity it goes off into a funky chant after that otherwise I think i'd be a classic to rival 'Look on the good side' (IMHO)

Now who was that fella that did a write up on this wonderful label :D

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Talking of double sided white demos on Silver Blue, I'd say you need stock copies of ALL four Invitations 45's!!!! 8 cracking sides (if you count Part 2 of 'Look on the good side) :lol:

Steve - 9 cracking sides :thumbsup: - you need the demo that started this thread - it is a different take with a spoken part before the vocal kicks in, you won't have a full set until you have it!!! You should buy mine off me - much less than that ebay offering :D

Mike

Social source share

Steve - 9 cracking sides :lol: - you need the demo that started this thread - it is a different take with a spoken part before the vocal kicks in, you won't have a full set until you have it!!! You should buy mine off me - much less than that ebay offering :D

Mike

Oops yes 9 sides (where's that red-faced smilie?)

I think I'll pass Mike, happy with me 4 issues mate :thumbsup:

That's a mad price though!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest soultempo

well ... i was so surprised i started a thread on ems about this 45 ... g.gif

I suspect virtually everyone on here (without much difficulty) could name a better 'sofa soul' gem for a sensible price ...

best, Shaun.

Social source share

Another query related to this....

Ive got Lets love / Love has to grow on a Silver Blue issue and its on thinnish flexible vinyl with the grip marks around the label (which seems more akin to a UK release)..its always bugged me that it looks a bit iffy somehow

Ive got virtually the whole Silver Blue label and every other release is on styrene (issues and promos)

Has anyone else noticed this? is there an explanation?

I found it in the States so it cant be iffy surely...........can it?

Gaz :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hey John, let Poserman fight his own battles :thumbup::D:g:

Although in the great man's defence, even if someone did think it was the worse of the 4, that still makes it a fookin good record cos they are all quality 70's dancers and/or ballads that blow many releases from that period out the water!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

I'm a lover, not a fighter Steve.

But he's right... I was only kiddin' biggrin.gif

All great records from a really great label.

Love 'em all.

Now, just have less... and give us a kiss!

:thumbsup:

PoserMan

Social source share

Ive got Lets love / Love has to grow on a Silver Blue issue and its on thinnish flexible vinyl with the grip marks around the label (which seems more akin to a UK release)..its always bugged me that it looks a bit iffy somehow

Ive got virtually the whole Silver Blue label and every other release is on styrene (issues and promos)

Gaz :unsure:

Hiya Gaz

I wonder if it's an 'Islands' release. Lew Kirton was from Barbados and maybe they had some Invitations Silver Blue suff issued there as he was a well known artist with the locals. The US release has a Frankford/Wayne stamp on it. Does yours have any run out markings.

Social source share

Guest s0ul45

Mine too, and bought in 1973. Look closely and you'll see the Frankford Wayne stamp on the 'Love Has To grow Side'.

Social source share

Hiya Gaz

I wonder if it's an 'Islands' release. Lew Kirton was from Barbados and maybe they had some Invitations Silver Blue suff issued there as he was a well known artist with the locals. The US release has a Frankford/Wayne stamp on it. Does yours have any run out markings.

Youre right Tommo, there is a feint but definite frankford/wayne stamp on the "love has to grow" side and a familiar machine stamped triangle...so i guess its a genuine US release...phew. Didnt fancy an 'islands' release (not sure what one is to be honest)

Strange though that the (arguably) rarest record on the label is in a different format to the rest...anyone got an issue of this on styrene?

Social source share

Youre right Tommo, there is a feint but definite frankford/wayne stamp on the "love has to grow" side and a familiar machine stamped triangle...so i guess its a genuine US release...phew. Didnt fancy an 'islands' release (not sure what one is to be honest)

Strange though that the (arguably) rarest record on the label is in a different format to the rest...anyone got an issue of this on styrene?

Gaz :)

Hi Gaz

Like they say above, there's no need to worry, they're legit and there's more than just this one with the UK style grip round the label. I can't name them but i've definitely had or got other Silver Blue's with grips.

There were other US labels that tinkered with this in the 70's to methinks?

Maybe someone will know the reason why the yanks tried this?

I do agree though, they do look and feel funny and I normally replace them with 'proper' US style pressings if and when I ever get them!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I'm a lover, not a fighter Steve.

But he's right... I was only kiddin' :ohmy:

All great records from a really great label.

Love 'em all.

Now, just have less... and give us a kiss!

:)

PoserMan

mmmmmmwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

How's that wink.gif

Hope you're well Poserman, just off to peruse your clips!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Gaz :ohmy:

my white demo of they say the girls crazy has a smaller label with the anti slip rim on it wink.gif . also anybody seen a copy of `they say` on silver top. i think its a reissue of some sort as it has a different artist on the other side but i saw it sell on ebay for more than a silver blue copy has ever gone for ohmy.gif . i used to have it but when it went in the sale box i couldnt give it away.

ps.. the lets love and find demo went for $512........ absolutely incredible :)

dave

sunday chill out 7th june, horse and groom pub with twins, joe lakin ,mick wad + guests russ steele and don kitchen

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

anybody seen a copy of `they say` on silver top. i think its a reissue of some sort as it has a different artist on the other side but i saw it sell on ebay for more than a silver blue copy has ever gone for ohmy.gif . i used to have it but when it went in the sale box i couldnt give it away.

dave

Think its a 'Beach' Reissue, Dave. One on eBay now for 12 Bucks!

Love the tune. Used to hammer it, back in the day, at the Windmill!

Class!

:)

Sean

post-4120-1244198014_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

And while I'm on me soap box, what about the intro to 'Living together'..............possibly the best 70's 'strings n things' intro ever???? Pity it goes off into a funky chant after that otherwise I think i'd be a classic to rival 'Look on the good side' (IMHO)

Cheers

Steve

I can only agree with you on the above intro Steve - Bobby Martin's finest arrangement ever. Was there ever a Invitation's album on Silver Blue. I have checked the 3 x diffrent 45's, but no mention of any LP, yes/no anyone.

Didn't Robert Martin leave the music industry around 1978ish to become a preacher in a New York church.

Social source share

Like they say above, there's no need to worry, they're legit and there's more than just this one with the UK style grip round the label. I can't name them but i've definitely had or got other Silver Blue's with grips.

There were other US labels that tinkered with this in the 70's to methinks?

Maybe someone will know the reason why the yanks tried this?

Don't know exactly why they chose that way of pressing their records, but lots and lots of Polydor and Capitol distributed 45s has got those anti-slip grip marks. The Silver Blue label was distributed by Polydor.

Social source share

I can only agree with you on the above intro Steve - Bobby Martin's finest arrangement ever. Was there ever a Invitation's album on Silver Blue. I have checked the 3 x diffrent 45's, but no mention of any LP, yes/no anyone.

Didn't Robert Martin leave the music industry around 1978ish to become a preacher in a New York church.

Hi Nick

Hope you're well mate?

There isn't an Invitations Silver Blue LP but how good would it have been eh?

The 8 single sides (& the 9th version especially for Mike :( ) plus another 5 or 6 what they would call fillers but what we would call LP-only gems wink.gif ................could possibly have been up there with the all time greats I reckon!!!!!???

Don't know about Bobby Martin maybe someone knows?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Think its a 'Beach' Reissue, Dave. One on eBay now for 12 Bucks!

Love the tune. Used to hammer it, back in the day, at the Windmill!

Class!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

MISSED OUT THERE SEAN. WHEN THE CLIFTON HALLS AND WINDMILL WERE GOING ON IN THE EARLY 8OS JUST UP THE ROAD FROM US I WAS STUCK IN HERFORD GERMANY WITH THE ARMY. WHEN ON LEAVE I NEARLY GOT THERE A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT ALWAYS SEEMED TOO BUSY. SHAME ON ME :(

DAVE

SUNDAY CHILL OUT 7TH JUNE HORSE AND GROOM IN DONCASTER WITH THE USUAL SUSPECTS AND GUESTS RUSS STEELE AND DON KITCHEN

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hi Nick

Hope you're well mate?

There isn't an Invitations Silver Blue LP but how good would it have been eh?

The 8 single sides (& the 9th version especially for Mike :lol: ) plus another 5 or 6 what they would call fillers but what we would call LP-only gems wink.gif ................could possibly have been up there with the all time greats I reckon!!!!!???

Don't know about Bobby Martin maybe someone knows?

Cheers

Steve

Would have been one hell of a album, like you say Steve an all time great in the making without any fillers. I am of the understanding or the belief that the 1977 Red Gregg outing -We Dont Allow (No Sitting Down) is the same The Invitations group, going by the sound ?

I do recall reading in 1977/78 about Bobby Martin in Echo's letter page (the melting pot) - leaving to pursue a church career. Didnt take much notice at the time, like most of us, we only read Brady Beat and the Rambler...... :( .

Thanks for the recent Rance Allen Group LP it's found a good home and a not too bad an owner.

Cheers - The White Knight shhh.gif .

Social source share

Right, I missed seeing the copy on e-bay so don"t know if its the same as mine so bear with me pleases and any info is appreciated

My "Lets Love (And Find Together)" promo has printed under the Silver Blue logo "reservice-new version"

The mono side is 3:33 and the stereo 3:18..................was that the one?

Cheers Paul

PS Also have a Canadian Silver Blue SB 806 Don Goodwin "This Is Your Song"...................unfortunatly its a Paul Anka written/produced load of country/pop tosh sad.gif

Social source share

Right, I missed seeing the copy on e-bay so don"t know if its the same as mine so bear with me pleases and any info is appreciated

My "Lets Love (And Find Together)" promo has printed under the Silver Blue logo "reservice-new version"

The mono side is 3:33 and the stereo 3:18..................was that the one?

Cheers Paul

PS Also have a Canadian Silver Blue SB 806 Don Goodwin "This Is Your Song"...................unfortunatly its a Paul Anka written/produced load of country/pop tosh :unsure:

I BELIEVE SO :thumbsup:

DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!