There Are Not Many Black People On The Scene?

ImberBoy

Guest Blackwingedangel

Brilliant...not seen that before

Check out Sir Norman haha laugh.gif

Check out Billy (the Scorpion King) more like! We had that on a huge screen Fri night....was ace to see this docu again while dancing (ooh another 'thing' beginning with 'd'....? Darge? laugh.gifinnocent.gif )

Social source share

• Replies 111
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Lloyd Bogle from Huddersfield was a great dancer - we used to go to the Wheel together and he used to come to Lord Jim's in Huddersfield when I was DJing.

Oh, and he was black.

Julian

.....and following Lloyd there was Al Horseford - co-founder of the Taurus Club in Huddersfield in the early 70's (his Dad, Babbs owned The Reggae Club on Venn Street), Del Johnson who was the best-dressed female on the scene and anyone remember Clayton and Kelly - both regulars on the scene in the mid 70's and killer dancers the pair of 'em.....

...and of course Caesar from Leeds (now in London) who I bump into regularly and conversely Cockney Steve from Leeds who I've seen out and about twice in the last 4 weeks! Also Mopsy from Sheffield who used to knock out Emidiscs of all the top tunes when I was a lad.......

All 70's stalwarts, all black. Few and far between generally though - I applaud their courage 'cos it wasn't all roses back then if I remember rightly.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

My girlfriend is mixed race and she hates Northern soul, but get this loves motown and funk lol. Strange i know g.gif . The one thing i would say from experience is there is racism in all walks of life and it can be found on the northern Scene and nearly every other scene. I have witnessed many a remark in the toilets of the 100club and various other do's even at our own the capitol soul club. The worse one i came across was a skinhead at the 100club who i offered out for his uneducated remarks re one of the bouncers winston. These things happen unfortunatley but we must stamp it out straight away....run at it not away from it.

Greg

Oddly enough ive never encountered much unpleasentness on the ns scene as opposed to the scootering scene where ive had it turn ugly many times ,though i did encounter one half wit at peterborough in the late 80s who did his self no favours wanker.gif , other than that i had a drink & a grown up conversation - debate with some skinheads - boneheads with right wing tendencies at diferent nighter again in late 80s, which really now when i think back 20 years later a really strange situation with how much respect & politeness was shown on that night, when normally it was always fists & boots quite sureal ,but that was as far as it goes northern soulwise , scooterwise well i could be here all night

Social source share

Oddly enough ive never encountered much unpleasentness on the ns scene as opposed to the scootering scene where ive had it turn ugly many times ,though i did encounter one half wit at peterborough in the late 80s who did his self no favours wanker.gif , other than that i had a drink & a grown up conversation - debate with some skinheads - boneheads with right wing tendencies at diferent nighter again in late 80s, which really now when i think back 20 years later a really strange situation with how much respect & politeness was shown on that night, when normally it was always fists & boots quite sureal ,but that was as far as it goes northern soulwise , scooterwise well i could be here all night

boxing.gifThe last timeI met anyone who was not around in 68/9 was Spider John a well known Boot Boy around 15 years ago, he even tried to have ago at me when I was DJing at (see Flyer) he did have the old Spirit of 69..a very unpredictable lad. I wonder what happened to him? the last I know he was running up the Pentiville Road. thumbup.gifpost-13241-12573005621586_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12573005621586_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Maybe they don't associate with American black cultures as the majority of black U.K. residents are West Indian and have their own musical heritage.

Pretty much how it was in the South in the 70s, the London black community was either into ska/bluebeat/reggae or funk

when I were a lad. They never really connected with Motown type soul. That doesn't mean that it's a completely

"white" scene after all 99% of the artists, musicians, labels are performend etc by black people, albeit Yanks yes.gif

Social source share

boxing.gifThe last timeI met anyone who was not around in 68/9 was Spider John a well known Boot Boy around 15 years ago, he even tried to have ago at me when I was DJing at (see Flyer) he did have the old Spirit of 69..a very unpredictable lad. I wonder what happened to him? the last I know he was running up the Pentiville Road. thumbup.gifpost-13241-12573005621586_thumb.jpg

I know Spider and yes he was an unpredictable lad. The last time i saw Spider was at Chelsea a few months back. He is still unpredictable but a football pal from years ago and is now one of the faces at Chelsea, well if you can be a face these days or is it a bully boxing.gif

Greg

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

My girlfriend is mixed race and she hates Northern soul, but get this loves motown and funk lol. Strange i know g.gif .

Blimey Greg that IS strange - you've got a girlfriend. laugh.gif

You SHS on Friday?

Social source share

I know Spider and yes he was an unpredictable lad. The last time i saw Spider was at Chelsea a few months back. He is still unpredictable but a football pal from years ago and is now one of the faces at Chelsea, well if you can be a face these days or is it a bully boxing.gif

Greg

boxing.gif Nice one, I think we have some mutial friends with Wolfy Dave Chriss & Belinda and so on. we should revive the pub nights on the Grey Friers Road, that used to happen 15 years ago??memoriesph34r.gif DAVE (MORE THAN SKIN DEEP) KIL

Social source share

boxing.gif See Lads I thought I told you that in 68/9 Skinhead as a word came from a "red top" and if you look at the photo of the Tiles Club in 66 there really is not a lot of difference style. I think that if had not been for 1967 there would never been "Boot Boys" and its a fact most BB,s went on to be Borstal Boys have The BB is not chosen as accidental the Gangs of the day were CREWS and like the underworld Firms most crews were made up with a big criminal element but for every 100 I will call them Skinheads, only about 10 were the hard core crew members or Faces to use a London term, most people just loved the Fashion like yourselves, somehow I cant see you with a razor or knife ready to fight while your mates ran away?? I think we are getting of the subject here..however if you are interest in the development of the Boot Boy and in a very short space of time under 24 months and it had gone as quick as it came please contact myself, you girl is a looker I have Just the right 2 Shirts for her and a BIG E Levi jacket almost bespoke to her (by looking at Photo) she is dressed like a West Ham Sort???ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

boxing.gif See Lads I thought I told you that in 68/9 Skinhead as a word came from a "red top" and if you look at the photo of the Tiles Club in 66 there really is not a lot of difference style. I think that if had not been for 1967 there would never been "Boot Boys" and its a fact most BB,s went on to be Borstal Boys have The BB is not chosen as accidental the Gangs of the day were CREWS and like the underworld Firms most crews were made up with a big criminal element but for every 100 I will call them Skinheads, only about 10 were the hard core crew members or Faces to use a London term, most people just loved the Fashion like yourselves, somehow I cant see you with a razor or knife ready to fight while your mates ran away?? I think we are getting of the subject here..however if you are interest in the development of the Boot Boy and in a very short space of time under 24 months and it had gone as quick as it came please contact myself, you girl is a looker I have Just the right 2 Shirts for her and a BIG E Levi jacket almost bespoke to her (by looking at Photo) she is dressed like a West Ham Sort???ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

boxing.gifph34r.gifSorry Baza I got a bit mixed up in my reply, The Notts scene for Black Music was as good as London all be it on a much smaller basis. In fact the first real Northern Soul person that I met came fromNottingham JOHN WILKINSON, He lived not far from myself for a few months, and he turned me on to "at the Dicspteqque Jackie Lee ect, A good bloke, and as for Jamacan Music there were a few Blues clubes in the area which ran from the 6ts until the 8ts with local sound men and people playing the tunes from Wolverhampton Mr Macguiness & from London Duke Vinn I no for sure played tunes in Notts also Laural Aikin lived around that area, so it was the exception to the rule, plus it had loads of crumpet?? ph34r.gif DAVE (MORE THAN SKIN DEEP) KIL
Social source share

:boxing::ph34r:Sorry Baza I got a bit mixed up in my reply, The Notts scene for Black Music was as good as London all be it on a much smaller basis. In fact the first real Northern Soul person that I met came fromNottingham JOHN WILKINSON, He lived not far from myself for a few months, and he turned me on to "at the Dicspteqque Jackie Lee ect, A good bloke, and as for Jamacan Music there were a few Blues clubes in the area which ran from the 6ts until the 8ts with local sound men and people playing the tunes from Wolverhampton Mr Macguiness & from London Duke Vinn I no for sure played tunes in Notts also Laural Aikin lived around that area, so it was the exception to the rule, plus it had loads of crumpet?? :ph34r: DAVE (MORE THAN SKIN DEEP) KIL

Wilko still gets to the 100club now and again.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert