Anything Known About Roy Tempest?

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

In the Elton John/Danny Baker interview (separate thread) EJ mentions the Roy Tempest agency who "brought over all those R&B acts in the 60's."

Just got me wondering who this guy was? . . . how influential? . . . what artists he represented? etc. etc.

Through Google I found a cryptic reference that in 1973 a Roy Tempest became Sales and Marketing Manager of BBC Records.

Same guy??!!

MB

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest MBarrett

Hadn't realised what major players the Roy Tempest Organisation were - as per this ad from 1965.

gallery_6836_1066_12154.jpg

And this ad from 1968

gallery_6836_1066_10695.jpg

Seems that some of the bands they supplied - Original Drifters etc. didn't have the line-up that the punters expected!!

MB

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

l just remember him from 'Stingray!' thumbup.gif

You know what i nearly did that, and then i thought nah... webby will do it laugh.gif

Apparently he was also responsible for some of the original tribute bands, like the Fabulous Drifters and the Tempting Temptations. Not the real thing but doing their songs, these groups that often only contain one original member. Also responsible for the 'Original Platters' and 'Original Temptations'.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

You know what i nearly did that, and then i thought nah... webby will do it laugh.gif

Apparently he was also responsible for some of the original tribute bands, like the Fabulous Drifters and the Tempting Temptations. Not the real thing but doing their songs.

here he is,unsure.gifph34r.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

post-9436-12624794825532_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hadn't realised what major players the Roy Tempest Organisation were - as per this ad from 1965.

gallery_6836_1066_12154.jpg

And this ad from 1968

gallery_6836_1066_10695.jpg

Seems that some of the bands they supplied - Original Drifters etc. didn't have the line-up that the punters expected!!

MB

The RTO brought in many black US vocal groups to tour the UK in the 60s , advertising / promoting them under the guise of being either " The Original Platters " , " The Dynamic Isley Brothers " , " The Fabulous Temptations " or whatever .

I once saw " The Original Drifters " at The Bid Lid in Dewsbury , finding out years later that they were The Invitations .

In the obituary for Bill Pinkney ( a member of the original Drifters ) following his death in 2007 , the

" activities " of Roy Tempest are mentioned from which the following paragraph is taken .

The original Drifters toured the UK three times in 1966 , which included Pinkney , Gerhart Thrasher and Bobby Hendricks . The following year , Pinkney was over in the UK again touring with three singers who had never been Drifters at all . When their agent , Roy Tempest , was challenged by a reporter for the pop weekly " Disc " , he argued , stating that " Promoters know only too well they are not getting the real group . As far as I know , there are five sets of Drifters "

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 13 years later...

Her's a link to an article regarding Ray Tempest exploits.These artist regularly appeared around Manchester in the late 60s not at The Wheel but other ballrooms and clubs.We use to tell people at the time they were fakes they even appeared at The  New Century Hall which was a big venue that had well  known artists on such as Jimmy Hendrix .He originally Brough over the real artist but when they demanded large fees he resorted to using fake artist.

https://readysteadygone.co.uk/the-soul-deceiver/

Edited by bri phill
Social source share

There have (supposedly) been two documentary teams working on making TV progs about Roy Tempest and his activities in the 60's. The results of both teams efforts should have been out by now.

Roy started off as a fully legit booker of UK beat groups and visiting US soul & blues acts but changed tack in 1967. He had brought over the likes of Solomon Burke, Spellbinders, Billy Stewart, the Coasters, Edwin Starr, the Vibrations & many more.  From then he realised he could book New York based soul groups quite cheaply, fly them to the UK for next to nothing and book them on UK tours under false names. So we got the Original Drifters (Invitations) Fabulous Temptations (Velours), Fabulous Marvelettes (Gypsies), Isley Bros (Diplomats), Original Impressions (Topics), Fabulous Platters (Steinways), Fantastic Little Anthony & Imperials (The Puzzles), etc. He then got even more greedy & started passing off US & UK based fakes as solo artists such as Chuck Jackson, Carla Thomas, James Brown Jnr, etc.

I was contacted in the past by members of both documentary teams & led to believe their projects would have been ready for screening before now. Alice Rose Popplewell & Adam Glenn were the last folk to get in touch with me. There questions started about a year ago & ended around 9 months ago (when I was led to believe they had just about everything they needed. Last summer, I was told they were about to head out to the US to interview some of the surviving group members who were involved with Roy back in 67/68/69. 

RoyTempestSept67j.jpg

Social source share

Roy Tempest eventually had to 'face the music' as UK record companies sued him for advertising fake versions of the groups they released records on. EMI had the 1st go on behalf of Motown acts but others soon waded in.

By mid 69 the game was up for him & he had to agree to get out of the music biz or be sued for many thousands. He went into London property and then (I believe) banking.

His exploits certainly allowed many UK soul fans to witness live shows by many lesser acts who's 45's would later be chased by NS types. The Steinways (ex Laddins) got just about the highest praise for their shows here. But the experiences they had to endure while over here led to the group breaking up on it's return to the US.  

He changed the name of his agency from Roy Tempest Org. and Global Promotions to London Attractions in 69, but by then people knew who he was & what he was up to.

RoyTempestGroup65c.jpg

RoyTempestVibrationsMont.jpg

RoyTempestDec67e.jpg

RoyTempestInvtatnsDec68.jpg

RoyTempestMalvern4y.jpg

RoyTempestAgencyFeb69.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!