The Northern Line

On behalf of Moz Arnold, John Griffiths and myself I'd like to say a massive 'Thank You' to everyone who supported The Northern Line at our inaugural event on Saturday. With well over 200 in attendance the room was extremely busy and right at the upper limits of its capacity. The positive feedback and kind words (and dance floor reaction) was reward in itself for the last 4 months hard work identifying, organising and promoting the event.

After 2 hours in the afternoon setting out the room and setting up the equipment we were ready for what we had hoped would be a reasonable turn-out and level of interest, but nothing could have prepared us for the support we received (the first half dozen Soulies arrived before the doors officially opened). With around 100 people in the room by 9pm and us very nearly having to close the doors entirely from around 10pm it seems that most took advantage of our 7.30pm start on a Saturday night to make a full evening of it.

I started proceedings with a few records that I thought those who I knew that'd come in early would appreciate. Moz followed on by stepping up the tempo and delivering a solid set comprising his hallmark stompers and a number of requests and dedications before handing over to John 'Biff' Griffiths. I've been pleased to work with John at The Birchfield for many years and as ever he seems to judge the tone perfectly, keeping the floor busy before handing over to Pat Brady and John Parker. Playlists for Moz, Biff and I will be posted shortly (when we've found the lists we were supposed to be writing...guys...did you remember?) For this first event we'd asked Pat and John to focus on rare classics and boy, did they deliver. With their playlist (see below) it's little wonder that there was a full floor for nearly the whole of the 1 ½ hours they double-decked for us. Whilst there are a few gaps in the list below it's largely in the right order:

Lenny Curtis - Nothing Can Help You Now

Duke Browner - Crying Over You

The Chandlers - Your Love Makes Me Lonely

Rita & The Tiaras - Gone With The Wind

Vicki Baines - Country Girl

Wade Flemmons - Jeanette

Jessie Johnson - Left Out

Joann Courcy - I Got The Power

Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Baby's Heart

Barbara McNair - You're Gonna Love My Baby

The Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl

The Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep My Loving You

Otis Lee - Hard Road To Hoe

Holly St James - That's Not Love

Gerri Granger - I Go To Pieces

Al Williams - I Am Nothing

The Salvadors - Stick By Me Baby

Bill Bush - I'm Waiting

The Hytones - You Don't Even Know My Name

The Velvelettes - Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I

Joey Delorenzo - Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl

Rubin - You've Been Away

Tomangoes - I Really Love You

Stanley Mitchell - Get It Baby

Sam Ward - Sister Lee

Jay Traynor - Up And Over

Lou Pride - I'm Comin' Home In The Mornin'

Walter & the Admirations - Man Oh Man

Jackie Day - Naughty Boy

Pat and John 'did us proud' and we are immensely grateful for lending their support to our first night. How do you follow a set like that?

Moz, Biff and I then shared the last hour until sadly (and all too quickly) it was time to spin the last record and turn the lights on.

There were a couple minor things we learned from this first event that we need to address in advance of the next one in May these are:

· Experiment with the lighting (some parts of the room were a little too bright) and if possible remove some bulbs / obtain gel-type filters to dim the light

· Experiment with the room layout to fit a few more chairs in (with a little jiggery pokery we envisage getting another 20 - 30 chairs into the room for next time)

· Turn the ceiling fans on sooner

· Ask for 1 - 2 additional bar staff just to make getting served a little quicker

That said, these seemed to be relatively minor issues that are relatively easy to resolve and other than that the reaction was extremely encouraging. So once again 'Thank You' to those who came along for your support, we hope to see you again in May (and based on our first experiences it might be a good idea to come early). For those of you who couldn't get down to the first event but fancy trying us out you'll be assured to a very warm welcome, great music and...if you get there early enough...a seat!

Moz, Biff and Chris

PS. Our play lists are to follow.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Folks,

I hope that all of you reading the write up spotted my er, erm, deliberate error!

For 'These Things Will Keep Me Loving You' it should have been the Blue Sharks I accredited and not the Velvettes!

My only defence (and it's thankfully a legitimate one) is that I was outside having a cigaratte at the time and could only just about make out the tune, so I took a punt on the Velvettes...and got it wrong! Bugger! I am now hanging my head in shame... unsure.gif

Many thanks to John for emailing the correction and to Pat and John for their enthusiastic emails to Moz, John and I after the event.

Chris

We can only reiterate what Chris has already written. A simply superb night from the onsetgood.gif . Arrived before the doors officially opened, to be overwhelmed by the sheer size of the room! Couldn't wait to have a dance on that dancefloorthumbup.gif , and it was certainly worth the wait especially to the music being played by each and every DJ. Music for all tastes. Atmosphere, amazing. Extremely warm welcome and friendly fellow soulies.

Definately will be backbiggrin.gif.

Stockport Crew

Can I add my thanks to everyone who turned up and made this a great first night.

As Chris said the floor was full all night, the music played was across the board by all the DJ's

with classic and rare 60's, 70's RnB all getting played at sometime.

I cant remember everything I played so in no particular order here are some of them.

Biff

Percy Wiggins That's Loving You ABET

Marvin Gaye Lucky Lucky Me TAMLA MOTOWN

Otis Smith Let Her Go PERCEPTION

Bits & Pieces Keep On Running Away NASCO

Nina Simone Touching And Caring BELLAPHON

Holland Dozier New Breed Kinda Woman INVICTUS

Ann Sexton You've Been Gone Too Long SEVENTY SEVEN

Decisions I Can't Forget About You A&M

Miss Madeline Lonely Girl MARVALUS

Arabians (Please) Take A Chance On Me LE MANS

Tempests Someday SMASH (LP)

Ronnie Walker On And On IMPACT SOUND

Mighty Lovers Mighty Lover BOOGALOO

Temptations That'll Be The Day UNISSUED MOTOWN

Dorothy Berry & Jimmy Norman I'm With You All The Way LITTLE STAR

RL Burnside Its Bad You Know FAT POSSUM (LP)

Linda Jones My Heart Needs A Break LOMA

Dee Clark That's My Girl CONSTELLATION

Beverly Ann You Got Your Mind On Other Things RCA

Guest HindleyPhil

Agree the night was a good night just a couple of little things - lighting, dance floor needed polishing ( never mind what they do at Salsa - we Soulies are different )

More bar staff required

The venue is good one, music policy up there

Good luck with the future ones

see Moz at the next Tetley Walker

We can only reiterate what Chris has already written. A simply superb night from the onsetgood.gif . Arrived before the doors officially opened, to be overwhelmed by the sheer size of the room! Couldn't wait to have a dance on that dancefloorthumbup.gif , and it was certainly worth the wait especially to the music being played by each and every DJ. Music for all tastes. Atmosphere, amazing. Extremely warm welcome and friendly fellow soulies.

Definately will be backbiggrin.gif.

Stockport Crew

As Stockport is now my adopted home town I was absolutely thrilled to bits to see so many of you had made the trip over. There were a large number of people who had travelled a fair distance to support us from across the North West, down from the North East and up from the Midlands and in addition there was also a strong local turnout. We were overwhelmed by sheer number of people who collectively made the atmoshpere what it was.

On the night we can only try and do our best to spin the right discs and keep everyone happy - it was great to have so many people to try and please!

Chris

Agree the night was a good night just a couple of little things - lighting, dance floor needed polishing ( never mind what they do at Salsa - we Soulies are different )

More bar staff required

The venue is good one, music policy up there

Good luck with the future ones

see Moz at the next Tetley Walker

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for your comments and support; I'm chuffed that you enjoyed the night.

We'll be addressing the lighting and bar staff points you raise in advance of the next event in May. In general the comments about the floor were very positive as it's a proper ballroom type floor, but nonetheless we'll discuss the issue with the Manager.

All the best and thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

Chris

As promised, please find below a list of what I played (as I stuck them in the back of my record boxes to remind me) during my early 7.30 - 8.20 spot and the last hour's shared spot with Moz & Biff. I think there may be a couple more but I must have put those back where they belonged. They're not quite in the right order and requests are indicated.

Mavis Rivers - Footsteps Of A Fool

Beverley McKay - Say It With Feeling

Diane Payne - What Side Your Bread Is Buttered On

Jimmie Reed Jr - I Ain't Going Nowhere

Johnny Hunter - If The Things In The Room Could Talk

Johnnie Hoyle - What About Me

Betty Wilson - I'm Yours

James Conwell - The Trouble With Girls

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me

Timothy Wilson - Hey Girl Do You Love Me

Blue Jays - Point Of View

Martells - Where Can My Baby Be

Chandlers - Your Love Makes Me Lonely (request)

Kenny Gamble - Standing In The Shadows

Clydie King - Only The Guilty Cry

Chubby Checker - You Just Don't Know (request)

Ellusions - You Didn't Have To Leave

Cleveland Robinson - Love Is A Trap

Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You (request)

Kenny Carlton - Lost & Found (request)

Adams Apples - Don't Take It Out On This World

Little Tommy - Baby Can't You See (request)

Nabay - Believe It Or Not (request)

Ralph Graham - She Just Sits There

Chris

Big dancefloor,Good tunes,Great venue apart from the big hike when you want a smoke

The first soul night my 23 year old daughter has ever been to....after a lifetime of listening to her dads soul music (maybe my choice of the soul spectrum) and always saying that she would eather chew her own leg off than spend a night listening to that shite

anyway

She and her husband came to the Northern Line and were very pleased with the night

so much they want to know hen the next one is

Anywhere that plays little tommy is rockin for me:thumbup:

Edited by Darren

Big dancefloor,Good tunes,Great venue apart from the big hike when you want a smoke

The first soul night my 23 year old daughter has ever been to....after a lifetime of listening to her dads soul music (maybe my choice of the soul spectrum) and always saying that she would eather chew her own leg off than spend a night listening to that shite

anyway

She and her husband came to the Northern Line and were very pleased with the night

so much they want to know hen the next one is

Anywhere that plays little tommy is rockin for methumbup.gif

Hi Darren,

Not sure if my response will upload properly as my laptop is playing me up....(I tried to respond yesterday and nothing's been uploaded)

Many thanks for your support (and for your continued support of The Birchfield for may years).

I'm glad that you enjoyed Little Tommy (and I managed to slip in Chubby Checker 'You Just Don't Know' for you later on).

I'm glad that your daughter and her husband and now 'converts' - have you got any other family members you can be working on in time for the next Northern Line? (which in answer to your question in on May 22nd when we have Roger Banks as our special guest).

There should have been an event in March but there was some confusion over whether a wedding was suppsed to be taking place and, despite being told we could have the room in March, the rug was pulled from under us the day before the 5,000 flyers we'd had printed arrived. Grrrrrrrrr........

I hope to see you at The Birchfield in the next few months, but if you can't get down it'd be great to see you at the next Northern Line in May.

All the best.

Chris

post-3739-12649452928916_thumb.jpg

post-3739-12649453538648_thumb.jpg

Congratulations to Biff Moz & Chris on a great first night. Fabulous venue, great crowd & music to die for!!!

Well worth the 140 mile round trip & looking forward to the next one

Alan & Pat (Wolverhampton)

Pat and Alan

Thanks for making the long trip up from the Midlands.

We are made up you enjoyed the night as much as we did.

250 plus through the doors was more than we could have ever imagined.

Pat and John did us proud, so heres looking forward to Roger Banks in May and another top night.

All the Best on belhalf of us all

Biff

Hi Folks,

Moz Arnold's playlist included the following:

the artistics - hope we have

the charades - the key to my happiness

the jokers - soul sound

larry wright - sweet sweet kisses

turley richards - i feel alright

the vel-vets - i got to find somebody

tobi lark - sweep it out in the shed

laura lee - to win your heart

youth opportunity program - of hopes and dreams and tombstones

fabulous apollos - determination

edward hamilton & the arabians - baby dont you weep

the enchantments - i'm in love with your daughter

That's all for now, we've got nearly 4 months until the next one so we hope to see you there.

Chris

Source Advert