Tyrone Ashley

havin a listen today to dave.l. brown's "northern side of philly soul cd. i noticed that the tyrone ashley track, " i want my baby back" has a striking resemblance to the del-larks, "job opening" in its arrangement. it was recorded slightly after job and surprise, surprise tyrone ashley is the lead vocalist but under his real name, sammy campbell. he also, just so happened to have cut solo on the same label, queen city and, although i forget the title, ive seen THAT for sale on here and on jm's auction. tyrone also worked for levine in the mid-70's around the same time as lj johnson and evelyn thomas and recorded for pye in this country.

did he ever come over here then or since and thus, is he still alive?. i'd wager he would be a good draw with his repetoire at prestatyn etc. im probably barkin' so if he's hovis forget the thread but he'd certainly got the voice.

rob.h

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

havin a listen today to dave.l. brown's "northern side of philly soul cd. i noticed that the tyrone ashley track, " i want my baby back" has a striking resemblance to the del-larks, "job opening" in its arrangement. it was recorded slightly after job and surprise, surprise tyrone ashley is the lead vocalist but under his real name, sammy campbell. he also, just so happened to have cut solo on the same label, queen city and, although i forget the title, ive seen THAT for sale on here and on jm's auction. tyrone also worked for levine in the mid-70's around the same time as lj johnson and evelyn thomas and recorded for pye in this country.

did he ever come over here then or since and thus, is he still alive?. i'd wager he would be a good draw with his repetoire at prestatyn etc. im probably barkin' so if he's hovis forget the thread but he'd certainly got the voice.

rob.h

Sammy Campbell was at Prestatyn 2008 and apparantly performed "I Want My Baby Back"

I wasn't there but read the write up on the Youtube clip

Interview---

https://www.therighttrack.org.uk/sammy_campbell.html

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Sammy Campbell was at Prestatyn 2008 and apparantly performed "I Want My Baby Back"

I wasn't there but read the write up on the Youtube clip

b b bbby eck lad,...tha grey cells are wor wor workin well!, slapped wrists, i should've remembered that dddddozy old numpty....think i need a dose of what youre gettin.....ggggladis's soothin' hands.

rob.h

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

b b bbby eck lad,...tha grey cells are wor wor workin well!, slapped wrists, i should've remembered that dddddozy old numpty....think i need a dose of what youre gettin.....ggggladis's soothin' hands.

rob.h

Met him in New York in 2006,lovely guy,saw him and the other surviving Del Lark perform "Job Opening " Then He sang "Happy Birthday" to me accompanied by Al Johnson and Rufus Wonder :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

rob.h

That's a bad stutter ya got there

It's worse than my fff f ferker biggrin.gif

Social source share

Met him in New York in 2006,lovely guy,saw him and the other surviving Del Lark perform "Job Opening " Then He sang "Happy Birthday" to me accompanied by Al Johnson and Rufus Wonder biggrin.gif

did rufus do "under the moon"? that would've been something as well!, sounds like a once in a lifetime experience old pal. ill never forget takin alexander patten and his wife round tesco24 at 3 in the morning in prestwich.....b ut he didnt sing to the staff!!

rob.h

Social source share

rob.h

Rob the Sammy Campbell 45 on Queen City was "I never thought (I'd find somebody like you)" great track & yes there's been a couple flew through here at what I thought were reasonable prices. £325 & £225 , didn't the one on manship auction go for about 550? Not saying that should be the price but I find people do normally tend to bump up the price after a manship auction, whether they get sold or not is another matter smile.gif

Del Larks Sammy Campbell & Tyrone Ashley all have a similar sound to these lug oles, love 'em all thumbsup.gif

Hope you're well mate

Dave

Social source share

Very surprised that no one has actually said on this thread that Sammy Campbell of the Del Larks and Tyrone Ashley are one and the same person.

I Want My Baby Back is on Phil-La-Of-Soul and is pure class because of Sammy's/Tyrone's Soulful delivery....

I have an article about Sammy which I'll post later.

Mick

Social source share

Very surprised that no one has actually said on this thread that Sammy Campbell of the Del Larks and Tyrone Ashley are one and the same person.

I Want My Baby Back is on Phil-La-Of-Soul and is pure class because of Sammy's/Tyrone's Soulful delivery....

I have an article about Sammy which I'll post later.

Mick

sorry if my post was misunderstood but thats what i was referring to mick, and you can see the resemblance i want my baby back and job opening as both are similarly structured.......and hi dave, alls well here, hope you're fine......can anyone remember the levine tracks cut on pye records in 76...i remember colin giving me some tomorrow demo's of tyrone's and carol woods, evelyn thomas, doris jones etc and they're probably quite unusual to come across now......just thinkin, wasnt one of tyrone's releases called "running in and out of my life"?

rob.h

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert