Cleaning Fluid For Wet- Played 45 Required

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Found this as well... (sorry i've never heard of it before)...

https://www.discomusic.com/101-more/6193_0_7_0_C/

Wet Playing Your Records

Never "wet play" your vinyl records. Thoroughly clean AND dry them before playing. "Wet playing" sounds like an ideal solution-at first. In reality the liquid starts to evaporate as the record is played and the needle just starts to dig the junk further into the grooves and now contaminates the entire disc. It clogs up the styli muddying the sound and can cause damage to the styli and cantilever as water seeps into the cracks and erodes the glue that holds it together.

As this crud starts to dry it just makes it more difficult to now properly clean the record. Once a record is "wet played" it needs to be played that way again to sound acceptable.

With thousands of records in our music collections the last thing one wants to do is ruin them. Please don't "wet play" a record unless you know that you are going to discard the disc and want to get one last shot at archiving / restoring it to a digital medium.

Social source share

Found this as well... (sorry i've never heard of it before)...

https://www.discomusi...e/6193_0_7_0_C/

Wet Playing Your Records

Never "wet play" your vinyl records. Thoroughly clean AND dry them before playing. "Wet playing" sounds like an ideal solution-at first. In reality the liquid starts to evaporate as the record is played and the needle just starts to dig the junk further into the grooves and now contaminates the entire disc. It clogs up the styli muddying the sound and can cause damage to the styli and cantilever as water seeps into the cracks and erodes the glue that holds it together.

As this crud starts to dry it just makes it more difficult to now properly clean the record. Once a record is "wet played" it needs to be played that way again to sound acceptable.

With thousands of records in our music collections the last thing one wants to do is ruin them. Please don't "wet play" a record unless you know that you are going to discard the disc and want to get one last shot at archiving / restoring it to a digital medium.

Yep, mate. That´s what I´m on about.

There´s special liquids you can play records wet with and they sound better. Prob is, once this shitty stuff dries in the grooves, the record beginns to sound really naff if played the normal dry way. I´m quite sure that´s the problem with a 45 I acquired.

I know there´s special cleaning stuff out there which removes the remainder from the grooves...

Thanks btw for taking your time with my question :)

Edited by hermanthegerman
Social source share

Yep, mate. That´s what I´m on about.

There´s special liquids you can play records wet with and they sound better. Prob is, once this shitty stuff dries in the grooves, the record beginns to sound really naff if played the normal dry way. I´m quite sure that´s the problem with a 45 I acquired.

I know there´s special cleaning stuff out there which removes the remainder from the grooves...

Thanks btw for taking your time with my question hatsoff2.gif

Gerd did you get sorted mate? let me know if you need anything from England my old friend.

Social source share

...just if somebody else wondered what I´m on about :rolleyes:

I've seen record cleaning fluids that claim to clean wet played records.

I think the method you refer to in your initial post is just covering it with wood clue and peeling it off, you can try it, pretty harmless if you don't get the label as once it dries it will come off.

I think another thing you can try is to wet play it with something like glass cleaner on an old fisher price but put enough on it to KEEP IT WET so that the gunk stays dug up, then either use a record vacuum like a VPI or a lint free cloth to quickly soak up, clean off the solution. Then clean with water. I've gotten some wet played records playable this way before. I think most of the other sites that specifically say once a record is wet played it can only ever be wet played again refer to LPs, because it's almost impossible to keep it wet the entire time and then remove the solution so that the gunk is cleaned off before it sets back in. With a 45 it's much smaller and plays quickly so it's not as hard.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Hi Boba

already tried glass- cleaner with no success

If you accidently stumble across one of those cleaning fluids you were talking of it would be kind to leave me a note, might save Tobi Legend from the dustbin

Tia :(

PVA school or craft glue but not the wood glue.

There's a whole thread dedicated to it here

Social source share

PVA school or craft glue but not the wood glue.

There's a whole thread dedicated to it here

I would have said "elmer's school glue" but I didn't know if that was a known thing in the UK so I just said "wood glue". I swear it says "wood glue" on it though.

I was talking about wet playing it with glass cleaner, by the way, not just cleaning it with glass cleaner.

Social source share

I would have said "elmer's school glue" but I didn't know if that was a known thing in the UK so I just said "wood glue". I swear it says "wood glue" on it though.

I was talking about wet playing it with glass cleaner, by the way, not just cleaning it with glass cleaner.

yes, that´s what I understood, have successfully done that with really dirty 45´s for years, didn´t work on that 45....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert