2010-07-10: Soul In The South Bournemouth Allnighter

Guest Bearsy

THERE YOU GO A BRIEF BUT HONEST REVIEW FROM PPL IVE HAD CONTACT WITH

MOLDIE

blimey i didnt realise you had sooo many contacts telling you about everything what happens in the soul scene, you must be bored shitless of peeps letting you know how their night went at events you dont attend :thumbsup:

• Replies 66
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Seems I was quoted on here with regard to a debate and in order not to be mis represented and definatley happy with what I wrote here is the review in full..............:lol:

Soul In The South - 10 07 2010

4791022474_d011dd8836.jpg

I arrived for the inaugural Soul In The South Allnighter with masses of time to spare which allowed for an enjoyable afternoon along the seafront at Sandbanks and due to the excessive heat, some thirst quenching lagers in a rather swanky bistro..........

At 2pm in the afternoon, wasn't perhaps ideal preparation for an allnighter, depending on your viewpoint of course.

Lifts had been arranged and at 9pm Lindsay, Rachel and I departed for the Bonkers Nightclub in Wimborne. It was amusing to see us wedge into the Toyota Celica and even funnier trying to get out...... Lindsay already on good form, can in hand.......

I had a concern about a nightclub location as I didn't enjoy the bright lights and mirrors at the Stafford reunion, but this club, actually had a good feel to it.

Entry was reduced from £ 10 to £8 with a free drink, effectively taking the price to £5. This would become evident as to why later...............

The room itself is based upstairs, with a smoking room at the foot of the stairs, just near the entrance.

The one thing that does put you off about "normal" nightclubs is there lack of understanding about the Northern crowd. Two bouncers on the door and two upstairs, one prowling around and frequently checking the toilets etc, was a bit oppressive and over kill for the occasion. One on the door and one discrete would have been fine...................

As we ventured in Bearsy

4791021930_24f82f571f.jpg

was playing one of his usual cracking sets. I am always petitioning for him to have a later slot, and I am sure one was intended....I don't recall the whole set but he certainly played :

The Lost soul - A Secret Of Mine - Raven

Vondells - Hey Girl You've Changed - Airtown

Curtis Liggins - What It Is - Kaycee-soul

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal - Coconut Groove

The Moments - Baby I Want You - Hog

Nice to chat at length with Maria too................

The stated policy from the flyer was "rare 60ts uptempo soul, underplayed oldies and crossover"

From what I could see, the floor thinned out to the rarer tunes and the floor filled as Oldies returned.

Its led me to the conclusion, that the event would work better billed as "Oldies, Current Floor fillers with some Rare and Underplayed thrown in"

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but may be a fairer description on what will work, rather than what's maybe desired by the promotion team, but doesn't seem to get the majority of the crowd dancing.

4791021624_3986bdc53a.jpg

Numbers wise I would guess at 60 / 70 ? But can't say for sure, could do with few more in, but many events could and here was enough for reasonable "feel"

4791022636_710a668eff.jpg

Apparently the dancers amongst the night complained heavily about the floor - described as an "ice rink" by a few and this was illustrated by some poor lady hitting the deck as the night ended at 2.30am. [see above man on carpet!]

The early finish was most unfortunate and any travelling Soulies expecting an Allnighter may well have been annoyed. A soul nite often has different prep to an Allnighter. The flyer indicated last entry at 1.15am ..........that would have been a short night.

All in all I had a nice night, enjoyed some of the tunes, had great company and was chilled.

4791021740_99ce3521d6.jpg

Thanks to Pete Widdison for the lift and very thorough chat on the state of music introduced to the scene these days............

I would support the event again, if they learn from this one and tweak in the necessary areas - quiet a few but all do-able !

Important : all pictures via Mark Sargeant

Seems I was quoted on here with regard to a debate and in order not to be mis represented and definatley happy with what I wrote here is the review in full..............:lol:

hi kev

i never actually quoted you..i posted snippets from the 3 ppl that i had reports from including yourself after our chat on msn

atb moldie

Guest Bearsy

ok ok here is my playlist :lol:

My Playlist from 9-45 to 10-30 in order too lipsrsealed.gif

Dont want to be your fool - The New Yorkers, Tac-ful

A secret of mine - The lost Soul, Raven

He dont love you - Levon & the Hawks, Atco

Love built on a strong foundation - The Soul Blenders, Vanessa

Sophisticated lady - Summits, La Salle

Destruction - The peoples choice, Wood City

Dynamite Exploded - Honey & the Bees, Arctic

Baby i want you - The Moments, Hog

Baby cant you see - Little Tommy, Sound of Soul

Hey Girl you`ve changed - Vondells, Airtown

What more do you want - Gene Toones, Simco

No other way - The Cautions, Shrine

What it is - The Curtis Liggins Indications, KayCee-Soul

My Proposal - Soul Incorporated, Coconut Groove

I choose you baby - The Celebrities, Boss

Sweet thing - Rudy Mockabee, Atco

Mr Lucky - Freddie Hill, Ru Tee Hit records

Suffering wrath - Rudy Love, Canyon

Carl Holmes - C/U

didnt seem to go down too well but a couple of peeps said they liked some of them :D

Hi Moldie,

I was the only person mentioned by name of the 3 and it wasn't clear what I had said or otherwise...........you never advised that you'd be posting contents of the private conversation on msn, not that I am over sensitive - I don't have any different position in private versus publc (but should have been asked) and the review is now there for all to see :D

The review is just my view and others will have there's...................I think you said healthy debate is good......I certainly agree for event development and improvement :huh:

My playlist 12-1245 in mostly of order I played

Velours - I'm Gonna change MGM

Bobby Angelle - too much for you Money

E Rodney Jones - Peace of Mind Tuff

Hues Corporation - Goodfootin' Liberty

Buddy lamp - My Tears ATCO

Tim Rose - I got a loneliness Columbia

Lenny Williams - I could'nt find nobody fantasy

Buch Baker - Robin at the Go Go St. lawrence 12 yrs old

Paul Peek - I'm moving uptown Columbia

Jimmy Earl - Strategy Columbia

Gene Woodbury - I'll be glad Del Val

Levon and the Hawks - He don't love you ATCO

Honey and Wine lipsrsealed.gif

Joe Hinton - Got you on my mind Back Beat

The Intruders - You better check yourself Gamble

Betty Lloyd - I'm catching on BSC

The Chandlers - Your love makes me lonely Colsol

Ruby Sherry - Feminine ingenuity Take 6

YAY!!!!!! Honey and Wine! Awesome awesome track... it's just the most refreshing track I've heard in yonks. Thank you Des Parker foremost and thank you Mike for your continuance in playing it out :lol:

Guest Dave Mortimore

Calm down lads, all I wanted was an honest reveiw (all ways like reading Dave Mortimers aswell as he seems to tell it like it is) , cause, yes you're right Bearsey, theres a right rumour mill going round!!!!!!

. Hi there Fatcontroller, if you're looking for something more down to earth, then here goes.

. We arrived at 11 a.m. and were informed by two members of staff that it would only be going on until 4 a.m. and hence it was now only £8 entry with a free drink thrown in. Personally speaking this wasn't such bad news, as my wife and I had something planned for the Sunday and thus an earlier finish suited us.

. I'd seen photographs of this night club and wasn't overly impressed. My thoughts were that maybe this was a good place to begin this fledgling allnighter. But in truth, we were pleasantly surprised by the openness of the interior. I'm not sure what the numbers were, maybe 70, possibly 80? Adequate, but 50 more would have made it reasonably busy to generate a vibrant atmosphere.

. So you could say the mood was relaxed and resigned to the change in circumstances. As stated the floor had been buffed up to the extent that it was more akin to an ice rink. This was unintentional. However, it really hampered any dancing.

. Bearsy is correct in saying that there wasn't the full measure of rare and underplayed music that had been intimated prior to the event. Yet the music was consistently very good and even if there were chunks of it that had been heard before, it wasn't overly familiar and in my view very good dance music. There was non of the cheesy commercial crap or other music that veered towards modern.

. I've heard Mike Eskins play rare music once before, but it was too light weight for my liking. However, this time he played some real Northern beat numbers that were refreshingly new to my ears. Ady Pountain, Mark Sargeant also produced similar music and it is true to say that the D.J.s performed really well. The frustrating thing was that it was difficult to give these sounds a real hammering on the dancefloor for fear of ending up spread eagled flat on your backside.

. Anyway, 2 a.m. had just passed by when a friend of ours came back to our local group, somewhat very disgruntled. "You know what? I've just been prevented from going outside for a smoke! the bouncers said that if I step outside, I can't come back in!" The bouncers had then said that there was an allnight license in place for July 17th (the original date that had been muted), but not for the 10th. It raised questions of how long had this had been known? If earlier, then the night should have been pegged back to a 2 a.m. beforehand. To not know whether the license was in place until the night means there was a failure in communication. Either way, it's obvious why the rumour mill was going to kick in.

. The reasons for preventing anyone going outside was consistent with a lock-in policy for a private party. Our friend's (not Wigan Brian) final words informed us that the police were outside and telling the bouncers to turn the music off. Sure enough, moments later the lights went up and the night was over.

. Did we feel cheated? Well, yes and no. In a way I felt as if the promoters had put themselves in a difficult position. It wouldn't have done their personal standing any good and in knowing of the difficult situation, they kept a low profile. As friends, I was hoping to see them as we grabbed our bags and shuffled out.

. As I'm just a punter, without the responsibilities of a promoter, I try to be philisophical about all this. But truthfully my heart goes out to the travellers. I know I'd have been pissed off if I had come any great distance.

. My regrets are that I didn't get the details of an eccentric traveller determined to enjoy himself. He told me how he'd found the music and had been sucked in by the beat. His enthusiasm was infectious and his pressence was one of the lasting memories from the night. We hope to see him around these parts again some time in the future.

. Yours Truly, Dave (+ Jan) Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Seems I was quoted on here with regard to a debate and in order not to be mis represented and definatley happy with what I wrote here is the review in full..............:thumbsup:

Soul In The South 10 07 2010

4791022474_d011dd8836.jpg

I arrived for the inaugural Soul In The South Allnighter with masses of time to spare which allowed for an enjoyable afternoon along the seafront at Sandbanks and due to the excessive heat, some thirst quenching lagers in a rather swanky bistro..........

At 2pm in the afternoon, wasn't perhaps ideal preparation for an allnighter, depending on your viewpoint of course.

Lifts had been arranged and at 9pm Lindsay, Rachel and I departed for the Bonkers Nightclub in Wimborne. It was amusing to see us wedge into the Toyota Celica and even funnier trying to get out...... Lindsay already on good form, can in hand.......

I had a concern about a nightclub location as I didn't enjoy the bright lights and mirrors at the Stafford reunion, but this club, actually had a good feel to it.

Entry was reduced from £ 10 to £8 with a free drink, effectively taking the price to £5. This would become evident as to why later...............

The room itself is based upstairs, with a smoking room at the foot of the stairs, just near the entrance.

The one thing that does put you off about "normal" nightclubs is there lack of understanding about the Northern crowd. Two bouncers on the door and two upstairs, one prowling around and frequently checking the toilets etc, was a bit oppressive and over kill for the occasion. One on the door and one discrete would have been fine...................

As we ventured in Bearsy

4791021930_24f82f571f.jpg

was playing one of his usual cracking sets. I am always petitioning for him to have a later slot, and I am sure one was intended....I don't recall the whole set but he certainly played :

The Lost soul - A Secret Of Mine - Raven

Vondells - Hey Girl You've Changed - Airtown

Curtis Liggins - What It Is - Kaycee-soul

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal - Coconut Groove

The Moments - Baby I Want You - Hog

Nice to chat at length with Maria too................

The stated policy from the flyer was "rare 60ts uptempo soul, underplayed oldies and crossover"

From what I could see, the floor thinned out to the rarer tunes and the floor filled as Oldies returned.

Its led me to the conclusion, that the event would work better billed as "Oldies, Current Floor fillers with some Rare and Underplayed thrown in"

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but may be a fairer description on what will work, rather than what's maybe desired by the promotion team, but doesn't seem to get the majority of the crowd dancing.

4791021624_3986bdc53a.jpg

Numbers wise I would guess at 60 / 70 ? But can't say for sure, could do with few more in, but many events could and here was enough for reasonable "feel"

4791022636_710a668eff.jpg

Apparently the dancers amongst the night complained heavily about the floor described as an "ice rink" by a few and this was illustrated by some poor lady hitting the deck as the night ended at 2.30am. [see above man on carpet!]

The early finish was most unfortunate and any travelling Soulies expecting an Allnighter may well have been annoyed. A soul nite often has different prep to an Allnighter. The flyer indicated last entry at 1.15am ..........that would have been a short night.

All in all I had a nice night, enjoyed some of the tunes, had great company and was chilled.

4791021740_99ce3521d6.jpg

Thanks to Pete Widdison for the lift and very thorough chat on the state of music introduced to the scene these days............

I would support the event again, if they learn from this one and tweak in the necessary areas quiet a few but all do-able !

Important : all pictures via Mark Sargeant

Spot on posting ,

Couldn`t agrre more about the bouncers ,I had several "words" with them about being overly zealous , and repeatedly told the (dick) head doorman there was no need to stand on the door overlooking the dance floor and the one checking the toilets repeatedly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: the strange world of Northern soul strikes again !

WiganBrian.

Edited by wiganpotter

. Hi there Fatcontroller, if you're looking for something more down to earth, then here goes.

. We arrived at 11 a.m. and were informed by two members of staff that it would only be going on until 4 a.m. and hence it was now only £8 entry with a free drink thrown in. Personally speaking this wasn't such bad news, as my wife and I had something planned for the Sunday and thus an earlier finish suited us.

. I'd seen photographs of this night club and wasn't overly impressed. My thoughts were that maybe this was a good place to begin this fledgling allnighter. But in truth, we were pleasantly surprised by the openness of the interior. I'm not sure what the numbers were, maybe 70, possibly 80? Adequate, but 50 more would have made it reasonably busy to generate a vibrant atmosphere.

. So you could say the mood was relaxed and resigned to the change in circumstances. As stated the floor had been buffed up to the extent that it was more akin to an ice rink. This was unintentional. However, it really hampered any dancing.

. Bearsy is correct in saying that there wasn't the full measure of rare and underplayed music that had been intermated prior to the event. Yet the music was consistently very good and even if there were chunks of it that had been heard before, it wasn't overly familiar and in my view very good dance music. There was non of the cheesy commercial crap or other music that veered towards modern.

. I've heard Mike Eskins play rare music once before, but it was too light weight for my liking. However, this time he played some real Northern beat numbers that were refreshingly new to my ears. Ady Pountain, Mark Sargeant also produced similar music and it is true to say that the D.J.s performed really well. The frustrating thing was that it was difficult to give these sounds a real hammering on the dancefloor for fear of ending up spread eagled flat on your backside.

. Anyway, 2 a.m. had just passed by when a friend of ours came back to our local group, somewhat very disgruntled. "You know what? I've just been prevented from going outside for a smoke! the bouncers said that if I step outside, I can't come back in!" The bouncers had then said that there was an allnight license in place for July 17th (the original date that had been muted), but not for the 10th. It raised questions of how long had this had been known? If earlier, then the night should have been pegged back to a 2 a.m. beforehand. To not know whether the license was in place until the night means there was a failure in communication. Either way, it's obvious why the rumour mill was going to kick in.

. The reasons for preventing anyone going outside was consistent with a lock-in policy for a private party. Our friend's (not Wigan Brian) final words informed us that the police were outside and telling the bouncers to turn the music off. Sure enough, moments later the lights went up and the night was over.

. Did we feel cheated? Well, yes and no. In a way I felt as if the promoters had put themselves in a difficult position. It wouldn't have done their personal standing any good and in knowing of the difficult situation, they kept a low profile. As friends, I was hoping to see them as we grabbed our bags and shuffled out.

. As I'm just a punter, without the responsibilities of a promoter, I try to be philisophical about all this. But truthfully my heart goes out to the travellers. I know I'd have been pissed off if I had come any great distance.

. My regrets are that I didn't get the details of an eccentric traveller determined to enjoy himself. He told me how he'd found the music and had been sucked in by the beat. His enthusiasm was infectious and his pressence was one of the lasting memories from the night. We hope to see him around these parts again some time in the future.

. Yours Truly, Dave (+ Jan) Mortimore

Hi Dave,

Another great posting ! When you say staff did you mean club employee`s or promoters taking your money ?

see you soon, and thanks for the lift back Cheers!

WiganBrian.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Hi Dave,

Another great posting ! When you say staff did you mean club employee`s or promoters taking your money ?

see you soon, and thanks for the lift back Cheers!

WiganBrian.

. In some respects I don't mind promoters taking my money. I know that they generally do it for the love of the scene and are usually out of pocket. It's a tough life!

. Staff is a term I used for employees of the club. Who did their best to appease people as they entered the club.

. I was hoping to see you at The Crown in Southampton, but it's been cancelled. So see you at Bournemouth Railway Club on July 31st. As ever, Naughty Morty

Edited by Dave Mortimore

We would like to thank everyone for attending our first Soul in the South event and hope you had a good time and met lots of new friends.

Sorry for not getting on sooner to clarify the situation but I have been away and not able to comment, but I think we need to put the record straight.

We were informed by the club manager less than 2 weeks prior to the nite that they had applied for a temporary event notice for the wrong date - 17 July and not 10 July as originally agreed and promoted. The club reapplied and assured us the event notice would be obtained within the 10 day time frame. However this was not the case as we found out on the Saturday the event was due to take place, it must be 10 working days!

We then had a dilemma - do we pull it or go ahead. We knew that a lot of people had travelled down for the weekend and didn't want to disappoint anyone further. Also it would've been practically impossible to contact everyone in advance to let them know the situation. So rightly or wrongly we went ahead hoping for a late finish, which sadly was not to be.

We managed to negotiate a free drink for everyone and also reduced the entry from £10 to £8, so in effect the entrance was only £5 for a top dj line up.

In the future Soul in the South will be applying for the temporary event notice in plenty of time for each allnighter. We will also ensure that the dance floor is at it's best for all future events.

We hope that you will continue to support us in our efforts with the allnighters to bring great soul music to the south.

Regards

Sallie & Rod

Guest Chris B

Hi Sallie and Rob

It is tough being a promoter and a shame that it did not work out with the license, etc. Sure it caused you a lot of stress and worry.

Just like to say thanks for trying something new to keep the Northern scene promoted in the South.

Also a big thanks to all the D'J's as some good sets which I had not heard before.

I enjoyed myself and had a good time, even though the floor was a bit slippy for me.

Shame for people who had travelled hope it does not put them off in the future.

Thanks

Chris

Source Advert