• Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Ivor Jones

Can anyone tell me which is the best mix?:thumbsup:

Andy

I always used to play it from the LP when it came out. Brilliant record........Still sounds superb as well. The 45 version ,[which was released quite a bit later ],from memory ,is slightly different and the US 12" is an extended version of the Lp mix....I think they are all good Andy but if i had to choose i`d go with the LP........Its probably by far the cheapest too. Pm me if you need any more info,

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Can anyone tell me which is the best mix?:thumbsup:

Andy

So you got one then Andy, the mix I play at Pilsley is the D.M Classic Club, but of course its your choice to which you like best.

ps played it Saturday, hope you & Jo had a great break, see you in November.

Barry

Social source share

So you got one then Andy, the mix I play at Pilsley is the D.M Classic Club, but of course its your choice to which you like best.

ps played it Saturday, hope you & Jo had a great break, see you in November.

Barry

Same here Barry, the 12" DM Classic Club mix does it for me but like Ian say's if you're playing it in a Northern room (& why not?) probably the 7" version.

Bet you didn't realise it's now nearly 20 years old as was released in 1991 :thumbsup:

Just a timeless piece of quality Soul music IMO.

Social source share

Same here Barry, the 12" DM Classic Club mix does it for me but like Ian say's if you're playing it in a Northern room (& why not?) probably the 7" version.

Bet you didn't realise it's now nearly 20 years old as was released in 1991 :ohmy:

Just a timeless piece of quality Soul music IMO.

Thats right Martin 20 years old, I was just looking at the notes and was thinking the same, so does that mean this is no longer a modern tune:lol: but what a track, up there with the best IMO.

Barry

Social source share

Proud to say I played this as a new release @ local house nights, it was big at the Hacienda on saturdays at the time, the LP he did is good, Rainfalls is even better for me though.

7" like Ian says ok for northern scene

12" is thee best version love the wailin on the intro then it kicks

bit spooky just played this tonight on a white 12" not sure of origin but looks good on the 1210,s

got this from Oxfam in Mirfield where Hard Times resided forget The Hacienda

Tune

Martyn

Social source share

7" like Ian says ok for northern scene

12" is thee best version love the wailin on the intro then it kicks

bit spooky just played this tonight on a white 12" not sure of origin but looks good on the 1210,s

got this from Oxfam in Mirfield where Hard Times resided forget The Hacienda

Tune

Martyn

I couldn't believe that the Mirfield Pentagon became the epicentre of UK club culture when Hard Times kicked off. I went to the same venue when it was called The Ginza Strip as a 14 year old circa 1969. Some bastard from Mirfield Modern chinned me and welcomed me to the realities of surviiving in Mirfield whilst trying to be a flash twat. Served me well throughout the future as it happens.....:ohmy:

On the Frankie Knuckles record, I'm pretty certain that the 7" mix is a totally different mix from the 12" (i.e, not just an edited version of the 12"). I'll go back to it over the weekend and check, but I seem to remember that the 7" sounded just perfect and would have easily fitted with a Modern/Northern crowd perfectly, whereas the 12" was too far the other way towards the House crowd.

It wouldn't surprise me though. The best evidence is the 7" UK single mix of Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr's "Shine On Silver Moon" which is a HUGE Soul anthem of the highest order but ONLY on the UK 7" mix. But unfortunately no one's heard it 'cos it's rare as hell! The 12" is an absolutely wonderful kinda campy Disco monster but far too way out for Modern/Morthern ears. But the 7" mix is a totally different kettle of fish and almost sounds like a totally different song. Has anyone else heard this?

So when the Frankie Knuckles question came up it made me wonder how many great 'made for radio' 7" mixes of great House tunes would work for the Northern/Modern audiences?

For instance, I'd love to hear a 7" mix of "Back Together" by Hardsoul ft Ron Carroll or "Someday, Somehow" by Deep Sensation. If ever there were a couple of 'House' records that would hit the spot for the Northern crowd then those two would be in with a shout I reckon.

I'm basically willing myself to spend a weekend going through all my UK 7"'ers (several thousand unfortunately) to see if anything else jumps out and zaps me...........:thumbsup:

Ian D :D

Social source share

I couldn't believe that the Mirfield Pentagon became the epicentre of UK club culture when Hard Times kicked off. I went to the same venue when it was called The Ginza Strip as a 14 year old circa 1969. Some bastard from Mirfield Modern chinned me and welcomed me to the realities of surviiving in Mirfield whilst trying to be a flash twat. Served me well throughout the future as it happens.....:ohmy:

Ginza Strip Ian new one on me sounds a bit Gangsta but yeh still makes me smile drivin past The Salvation Army Drop In now charity shop ex Hard Times ex mirfield Pentagon

what would Sacha think

Martyn

Social source share

I couldn't believe that the Mirfield Pentagon became the epicentre of UK club culture when Hard Times kicked off. I went to the same venue when it was called The Ginza Strip as a 14 year old circa 1969. Some bastard from Mirfield Modern chinned me and welcomed me to the realities of surviiving in Mirfield whilst trying to be a flash twat. Served me well throughout the future as it happens.....:lol:

On the Frankie Knuckles record, I'm pretty certain that the 7" mix is a totally different mix from the 12" (i.e, not just an edited version of the 12"). I'll go back to it over the weekend and check, but I seem to remember that the 7" sounded just perfect and would have easily fitted with a Modern/Northern crowd perfectly, whereas the 12" was too far the other way towards the House crowd.

It wouldn't surprise me though. The best evidence is the 7" UK single mix of Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr's "Shine On Silver Moon" which is a HUGE Soul anthem of the highest order but ONLY on the UK 7" mix. But unfortunately no one's heard it 'cos it's rare as hell! The 12" is an absolutely wonderful kinda campy Disco monster but far too way out for Modern/Morthern ears. But the 7" mix is a totally different kettle of fish and almost sounds like a totally different song. Has anyone else heard this?

So when the Frankie Knuckles question came up it made me wonder how many great 'made for radio' 7" mixes of great House tunes would work for the Northern/Modern audiences?

For instance, I'd love to hear a 7" mix of "Back Together" by Hardsoul ft Ron Carroll or "Someday, Somehow" by Deep Sensation. If ever there were a couple of 'House' records that would hit the spot for the Northern crowd then those two would be in with a shout I reckon.

I'm basically willing myself to spend a weekend going through all my UK 7"'ers (several thousand unfortunately) to see if anything else jumps out and zaps me...........:thumbsup:

Ian D :shades:

Some great points raised there Ian (don't get too bloody smug LOL).

Don't forget that the ffrr label did release several things on 7", Satoshie Tommie (obviously) & Arthur Miles (both sides) spring to mind.

Have said for years that all 12" Soulful house tracks should always include a short (around 4 mins) radio edit. Spoke at great length to Mr Barnfather on this very subject on several occasions. Can even remember him stating in Manifesto that Soulful House has no place on the Northern scene & that very same night heard him playing as you mentioned above Ron Carroll - Back Together in a classic Northern room :shades:

Just to back up my point have a listen to the radio edit off the 12" of Cunnie Williams (nicked mi name the shop front !!!) Come Back To Me.

Now if that ain't Northern I don't know what is....

Social source share

Some great points raised there Ian (don't get too bloody smug LOL).

Don't forget that the ffrr label did release several things on 7", Satoshie Tommie (obviously) & Arthur Miles (both sides) spring to mind.

Have said for years that all 12" Soulful house tracks should always include a short (around 4 mins) radio edit. Spoke at great length to Mr Barnfather on this very subject on several occasions. Can even remember him stating in Manifesto that Soulful House has no place on the Northern scene & that very same night heard him playing as you mentioned above Ron Carroll - Back Together in a classic Northern room :lol:

Just to back up my point have a listen to the radio edit off the 12" of Cunnie Williams (nicked mi name the shop front !!!) Come Back To Me.

Now if that ain't Northern I don't know what is....

Yep, that's Northern alright Martin! Are L.A. producers suddenly discovering Northern or something?

Co-incidentaly, have you heard "Reach Out" by Jimmy James 'cos that's what the Cunnie Williams reminded me of?

By the way, that O'Jays re-edit is zinging it's way over to you as we speak........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

you pillocks got me thinking

just gone and looked at 400 different or so 12s to find in my opinion the best mix

frankie knuckles its hard sometime 12 (fk classic dub)virgin records

Serves you right for calling us pillocks LOL. :lol:

And that Francois K dub mix, brilliant as it is, would undoubtably clear the floor at a Northern/Modern gig but fill the floor at a retro House gig.......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep, that's Northern alright Martin! Are L.A. producers suddenly discovering Northern or something?

Co-incidentaly, have you heard "Reach Out" by Jimmy James 'cos that's what the Cunnie Williams reminded me of?

By the way, that O'Jays re-edit is zinging it's way over to you as we speak........

Ian D :lol:

The Jimmy James - Jimmy Ruffin bastardisation thing below. Does a bit but with a Barry White style vocal I suppose.

Got the O'Jays mate & sounds great so many thanks again Ian. Would make a great double a side 12" with the JC don't you think?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I couldn't believe that the Mirfield Pentagon became the epicentre of UK club culture when Hard Times kicked off. I went to the same venue when it was called The Ginza Strip as a 14 year old circa 1969. Some bastard from Mirfield Modern chinned me and welcomed me to the realities of surviiving in Mirfield whilst trying to be a flash twat. Served me well throughout the future as it happens.....:thumbsup:

I'm basically willing myself to spend a weekend going through all my UK 7"'ers (several thousand unfortunately) to see if anything else jumps out and zaps me...........:shades:

Ian D :shades:

Hello Ian, hope your keeping well mate.........

The UK 45 released was a David Morales Remix,which,though slightly "chunkier" in the drums dept ,was ,for me anyway, inferior to the Lp version. Just too needlessly repetitive in parts i think, even though its shorter than the the Lp mix[which runs in at 4 mins13 ] The 12" mix in comparrison i think is around 6 mins plus. Thats nice. .......I think the LP version is the one on Refosoul by the way....

I can vividly remember feeling well pissed off when this came out on 45 after realising that it was not the LP mix . Even then,we were the only people interested in 45`s !

Having listened again to the 45 last night,it is ok and decent enough but just not as good as the Lp mix..........You cant improve on perfection so why bother !

Fair comment too on both the other house tracks mentioned,ive used them on and off since new releases in deejay spots. Both killer Soul tracks....They shouldnt be too hard to edit down,both pretty straight forward i`d say.And theres more potential biggies where they came from too as you know Ian,:lol:

Yours Sincerely,

Ivor Jones

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert