The Chicago Review/ Roadshow

Evelyn Thomas......Barbara Pennington......L.J. Johnson.....anyone else?

l never seen them there and l can't remember just why......was it 76?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

They were on at the Ritz in 76,

Barbara did "24 hrs a day"

Evelyn did "Weak Spot"

L J did " Your Magic"

This was the time that LJ Johnson put is stool on the non revolving part of the stage,And his piano on the revolving part of the stage,Half way through his set the stage starts to revolve,leaving him trying to chase his piano and pull his stool around at the same time with his legs,TRUE

I was stood on the right hand staircase next to the stage and opposite the Dj console and saw it all in its glory,It was the time of the "Funk Off Levine" escapades,

Social source share

Guest mickmac

I remember talking to L.J. Johnson on the balcony, just outside the entrance to Mr. M's at Wigan one Saturday night.

Social source share

They were on at the Ritz in 76,

Barbara did "24 hrs a day"

Evelyn did "Weak Spot"

L J did " Your Magic"

This was the time that LJ Johnson put is stool on the non revolving part of the stage,And his piano on the revolving part of the stage,Half way through his set the stage starts to revolve,leaving him trying to chase his piano and pull his stool around at the same time with his legs,TRUE

I was stood on the right hand staircase next to the stage and opposite the Dj console and saw it all in its glory,It was the time of the "Funk Off Levine" escapades,

It was true Grant , and sadly to say it , but this incident with LJJ for me , was the highlight of a very lacklustre PA exercise for IL's artists that day .

It is a pity that it was not captured on video , as it would have become a classic on Youtube :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

It was true Grant , and sadly to say it , but this incident with LJJ for me , was the highlight of a very lacklustre PA exercise for IL's artists that day .

It is a pity that it was not captured on video , as it would have become a classic on Youtube :thumbsup:

Malc

Talking about video a bit off track I know,But the event in question at the Ritz was it the same one were they had a home cinema type screen up,Just behind where the Dj's worked,

I remember it really well they were showing the American "Soul Train" show,No sound just the images,

Not sure if it was the same event though

Social source share

I was there, but can't remember much about the performance. Got on the stage, & Levine was giving out orange Tomorrow label demos of the next releases. I got a Doomsday, that I got autographed by ET(the singer, not the alien). I had to tell dear Ian that I was a local DJ to get a copy :)

Paul

Social source share

Wasn't Doomsday the follow-up to Weakspot?

Think LJ's follow up to YMPASOM was Dancing On The Edge Of A Dream

Were Carol Woods or Doris Jones part of this review as well?

1 yes

2 yes

3 no

Anybody willing to admit that they still like any of these records.

I do my fav's where the Barbara Pennington tracks.

LJ Johnson did a great reworking of "24 hours a day" on a 12" in 79 or 80.

Social source share

1 yes

2 yes

3 no

Anybody willing to admit that they still like any of these records.

I do my fav's where the Barbara Pennington tracks.

LJ Johnson did a great reworking of "24 hours a day" on a 12" in 79 or 80.

[/qu

Still think that the Barbara Pennington track is worth a play out any time of day

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

Evelyn Thomas......Barbara Pennington......L.J. Johnson.....anyone else?

l never seen them there and l can't remember just why......was it 76?

All of the records were hits in 75 so more likely to be late 75?

(24 Hours A Day was 1976 - what a fantastic record that is)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!