Rare, In Demand And Just Plain Nice Soul And Funk Records For Sale

Guest marco

Guest marco

The Soul Stirrers - Don't You Worry - Checker M- Forget Salem Travellers, Sacred Four etc., this is a class northern-style soul record performed by an amazing gospel line up. Very rarely turns up on 45. Been playing it out covered up as the Tempests for the last two or three years and it always does the business. £150 SOLD

The Holidays - All That Is Required Is You - Revilot VG+ (some very light surface noise that doesn't interfere with the music). £200. How to describe this record? For a start I've only had 2 and seen one other in the last 15 years or so. If you're into traditional northern scene sounds only, this record is probably not for you. For a more broad-minded kind of soul fan it's mix of low down, off-beat guitar-and-organ-led funk and killer minor harmonies has made it something of a cult record. Always goes down well at parties. George Clinton at his eccentric best. Grab it while you can.

Winston 'Flook" Richards - Let Us Get Together/Got To Have Your Love - Trex M- £400. Great Island soul mid-tempo double-sider from Barbados that's been picking up plays recently by the likes of Dean Anderson and Des Parker. Great record that very rarely comes along. Couldn't find a sound clip for this one!

The O'Jays - The Choice - Bell. Been playing this out for a year or two now. Just amazed at how many very knowledgeable people didn't know it (and how many still don't know it) given all it's credentials. My favourite O'Jays record of the moment that just grows and grows into a minor key, group harmony powerhouse nighter-tune of truly gargantuan proportions (ok I'll stop now). Find it on You Tube and give it a listen - sounds even better pitched up a notch or 2! £20 SOLD

Hugh Boynton - We're Gonna Make It - Soul-Po-Tion. Wait a minute! When was the last time you saw a blue first issue of one of these? Actually the same copy I listed last year then bottled out of selling. How many of these are there out there? 5? 10? Top draw, evergreen 70s dance soul that hits the spot .M- Given quality and rarity £850 seems like a more-than-reasonable asking price.

SOLD

Tony Matthews - My Wish - Convoy M- £500. Decent price for this chugging, soulful niter spin of the last few years.

Chuck Colbert & Viewpoint - Stay - Caillier. Current spin for the likes of Dave Ripoles and that young Maslin fellow from London. Nice early 70s minor-key, wah wah, funky soul. M £150 SOLD

Martha Star - Love Is The Only Solution/I'm Lonely - Thelma. Small chip on run-in (that doesn't affect play) light surface marks and some label damage to 'solution' side mean this would have to be graded somewhere between VG and VG+. Having said that it plays really well, with one small mark that creates 3 tiny 'pops' about a third of the way in being the only noticeable interference. 'Lonely' side looks and plays even better. Two Don Mancha masterpieces on one disc. £600 SOLD

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=Sk_EJ081Gp4

Frank Foster - Harlem Rumble - Triode M- £300. Possibly the most monstrous instrumental ever to grace a set of decks! SOLD

Vernon Garret - We People In The Ghetto - Kapp Ex £20. Great driving bass on this with a guitar-and-horn-stab-led rhythm section that really gets down to business, Conscious soul from the early 70s. Would sound great played over a big system to a big crowd!

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ntmsug-oVus SOLD

Marion Javius - Waiting In The Wings - Encore. M £100. Kind of overlooked after a few copies turned up a few years back, This record just oozes class and is yet to have it's proper spell in the sun. Watch it take off when it starts getting some consistent plays.

Sue Ann Jones - I'll Give You My Love - TCB. Ex £90. Cult sister soul-funk cut on great Dave Hamilton backing track out of Detroit. SOLD

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=ADMDekf3YHk SOLD

The Summits - It Takes Two - DC International M £10. Whisper it... could this be their best ever record? It's certainly their cheapest. Dreamy atmospheric crossover with a funky backing that seems to have come of age. Have been playing it out for a while at the right venues - another cheapie that slipped under the radar for years.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=lYHpqugdG-U

The Summits - I Just Can't Get Over Losing You - Dontee. Probably their best ever record. Male group crossover heaven. SOLD

Endeavors - I Know You Don't Want Me - Stop. Big spin for Mr Heard over the years (off the studio disc no less!). This record sums up the new direction in soul of the last few years. Fast and funky but proper ghetto group soul with great lyrics and superb harmonies - what more does a man need? M £50 SOLD

Bobby Wommack - Find Me Somebody - Atlantic. When Bobby comes in on the middle eight over those layered backing girls this really is pure northern heaven. A great, great 60s northern record that gets the occasional spin from the more discerning jocks out there... M-/Ex+ £75

Otto & The Sensations - Girl We Can Make It/Keep On Lovin You - CTI SOLD

Jimmie Ellis - I Gotta See My Baby/Looking Through The Eyes Of Love - Hip-Delic M- £50. Two great blues-tinged loping soul funk tunes with some tidy horn and rhythm guitar work. An old George Mahoud spin if I'm not mistaken.

Jimmy "Preacher' Ellie - I'm Gonna Do It By Myself - Movin. M- £90. Funky RnB that's stood the test of time. Rarer first label.

Matt Brown - Sweet Thing/Thank You - Jar Val M- £400. Two tremendous sides. Guy Hennigans old Stafford dancer on one, mid-tempo crossover perfection on the other.

Oliver Morgan - The La La Man - Seven B. M- £100. This hypnotic slab of New Orleans aggro soul will have it's day as a big nighter sound yet. Little known and great 60s Northern with nailed-on drums courtesy of the great Mr. Edwin Bocage . SOLD

Paul (Guiter Red) Johnson - That I Love You - Kellmac. M- £100. Could this be the next Tony Matthews? Notched up a level or two? Superb chugging Detroit complete with great harmonies that doesn't often turn up. Great wailing on the outro too!

Al Gardner - Sweet Baby - Googamooga. M- £50. French picture sleeve of this tremendous Detroit 60s rarity. Sleeve not in the best of nick but the record is. SOLD

Little Charles and The Sidewinders - It's A Heartache - Decca demo. Probably their best? Great oldie that still fills a floor or two. Ex £100

The Fabulous Peps - My Love Looks Good On You/peak Your Piece - D-Town. Two fantastic Detroit sides. M- £100

George Kirby - What Can I Do - Cadet. Old 80s fave of mine. Atmospheric nighter sound or what! M- £250

Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over - Tollie w/d M- £275. Thanks for the memories Sam!

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back On Me - Barracuda. Ex+. 2 or 3 light surface marks only. £300. Possibly THE killer beat ballad. Listen to those strings!

The Enchanted Five - Have You Ever/Try A Little Love - CVS. Have played 'Have You Ever' out over the years. Two very very classy male 60s crossover sides out of Chicago if I'm not mistaken? M- £40

Eloise Laws - Love Factory - Music Merchant M- £100. Still sounding so good.

The Electrifying Cashmeres - What Does It Take - SS7 M- £65

Roosevelt Grier - Pizza Pie Man - D-Town M- £100. Old Ady Croasdel spin from the 100 club mid-eighties. I was going to say RnB, but it isn't really RnB at all. Soaring big-band production and girls make it more of a D-Town foray into the Big City Sound.

Annetta Archibal - Clip My Wings - Swift M £250. Bargain price for this jazz-tinged dancer. SOLD

Emotions - Do This For Me - Vardan. slight label tear on one side stops this from being mint. £80. Don't let the slightly doo wop into fool you. This sounds like the Impressions! Class group soul. ON HOLD

Will listen to decent offers and recorded postage is free in the UK

Edited by marco
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 9
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest marco

Endeavors back for sale.

I know of two Hugh Boyntons - this one and Butch's. Anyone know of any others out of interest? Would be interesting to know how many are out there...

Social source share

Guest marco

Here's a pic of the Martha Star Nick. It plays really well - I'd have happily given it a good VG+ if it wasn't for the little chip on the right and label damage:

post-1374-0-08816200-1302093592_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert