Don Varner: Power Of Love

Guest Paul

Guest Paul

DON VARNER - Power Of Love / Masquerade

Shotgun SHOT 108

Distributed by: SELREC

Release date: May 31st

Available from all the leading outlets in the UK, Europe and Japan from May 31st.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Nick Harrison

What a great output - reaches the parts many on here will fail to see or identify with............................thanks for engaging.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

As a storming dance record "Power of Love" knocked me out first time I ever heard it on the South Camp/Quinvy "High On The Hog" album. I thought to myself then that if this had a been an original rare 45 it would have had a really high price tag to it.

Not wishing to steer away from the subject of the thread which is "Power of Love" I just have to mention another unissued track from the South Camp/Quinvy sessions is Varner's wonderful "He Kept On Talking". I always liked Dee Dee Warwick's cut "She Didn't Know (She Kept On Talking)" on Atco but Varner's take on it is just so much better, more powerful and more emotional especially about two-thirds through when he opens up on it.

Not a dancer so wouldn't get the sales as a release but still a great record for a flip side IMO.

Don Varner - He Kept On Talking - South Camp/quinvy (unissued)

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I suggest if you were not already aware of this previously unissued track recorded September 1967 to get on it as soon as it's released, I first became aware of it when it appeared on the 1989 Charly LP - Rare Soul From The Quinvy/Broadway Sound Studio Volume Five "Rainbow Road" - CRB1225 which featured recordings by Don Varner, Ruby Winters, Tony Borders, Bill Brandon and Joe Perkins, another stunning Don Varner unissued track also features on Volume One - Tear Stained Soul - CRB1219 'When It's Over' which would also be well worth putting out as a 45? Just wondered if this is also in the pipeline for release Paul?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I suggest if you were not already aware of this previously unissued track recorded September 1967 to get on it as soon as it's released, I first became aware of it when it appeared on the 1989 Charly LP - Rare Soul From The Quinvy/Broadway Sound Studio Volume Five "Rainbow Road" - CRB1225 which featured recordings by Don Varner, Ruby Winters, Tony Borders, Bill Brandon and Joe Perkins, another stunning Don Varner unissued track also features on Volume One - Tear Stained Soul - CRB1219 'When It's Over' which would also be well worth putting out as a 45? Just wondered if this is also in the pipeline for release Paul?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark, I don't know why when listening to the albums that one passed me by..

Listening to it now, I think it's great and just the sort of track I like hearing out. thumbsup.gif

Don Varner - When Its Over

Social source share

Mark, I don't know why when listening to the albums that one passed me by..

Listening to it now, I think it's great and just the sort of track I like hearing out. thumbsup.gif

Don Varner - When Its Over

Don't get out to soul do's much anymore but totally with you on that one, pure class and well worth a 45 release...over to you Mr Mooney lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I love all four versions of 'Power Of Love' that I know about, but I'm v. pleased that Paul's taking the plunge and putting this particularly good one out on a 45...

Social source share

those quinvy LPs are stunning (essential) there is an unissued mid tempo by bill brandon as good if not better than any of his issued stuff.

nice to see 45s like this getting released and hopefully appreciated by more people as a result.

I can't help singing "my girl" whne I hear this particular track the structure is very similar but more southern and punchy with it.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Thank everyone,

I'm encouraged by these comments and I'm proud to control these wonderful Quinvy / South Camp recordings and songs via Selrec and Millbrand.

I've already licensed some Quinvy / South Camp tracks to other companies, including Ace, and will soon issue a series of Quinvy / South Camp albums on Selrec / Shotgun but first I want to release a few 45s to focus on some individual tracks that deserve special attention - such as 'Power Of Love'.

It was overlooked by many when it appeared on one of the Charly LPs back in 1989 but now I hope it will reach more people. For the Shotgun single I've remastered 'Power Of Love' from a 2-track stereo mixdown tape and I'm very pleased with the quality. It's rich, warm and punchy and should sound great in the clubs.

It would have been easy to issue 'Tear Stained Face' on Shotgun but it's always more of a challenge to create interest in something new or different. I chose 'Masquerade' for the flip side of this one but it was a difficult choice because Don cut so many great tracks at Quinvy - and I welcome any suggestions for future 45s and flip sides.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

As a storming dance record "Power of Love" knocked me out first time I ever heard it on the South Camp/Quinvy "High On The Hog" album. I thought to myself then that if this had a been an original rare 45 it would have had a really high price tag to it.

Not wishing to steer away from the subject of the thread which is "Power of Love" I just have to mention another unissued track from the South Camp/Quinvy sessions is Varner's wonderful "He Kept On Talking". I always liked Dee Dee Warwick's cut "She Didn't Know (She Kept On Talking)" on Atco but Varner's take on it is just so much better, more powerful and more emotional especially about two-thirds through when he opens up on it.

Not a dancer so wouldn't get the sales as a release but still a great record for a flip side IMO.

Don Varner - He Kept On Talking - South Camp/quinvy (unissued)

Great taste.

I considered 'He Kept On Talking' for the flip side of SHOT 108 (difficult choice) but it will be issued in the album series and I'll think about it for a flip side of a future 45.

Thanks,

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

I love all four versions of 'Power Of Love' that I know about, but I'm v. pleased that Paul's taking the plunge and putting this particularly good one out on a 45...

Thanks Tony,

It's a wonderful song, I rate Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham as high as Isaac Hayes and David Porter.

I also have the Hour Glass version on Liberty, issued in 1968 I think, probably recorded after Don Varner's version.

Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks Tony,

It's a wonderful song, I rate Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham as high as Isaac Hayes and David Porter.

I also have the Hour Glass version on Liberty, issued in 1968 I think, probably recorded after Don Varner's version.

Paul

...yes, that's one of the other three versions I know and like. The others are Double Image on Mala, and Dan's own version...:rolleyes:

Double Image was recorded at American sometime in 1967. Dan's original, which we hope will be coming your way on a Kent CD soon, was cut in 1966 at FAME,

Very nice they both are, too...

Social source share

Guest Paul

...yes, that's one of the other three versions I know and like. The others are Double Image on Mala, and Dan's own version...:rolleyes:

Double Image was recorded at American sometime in 1967. Dan's original, which we hope will be coming your way on a Kent CD soon, was cut in 1966 at FAME,

Very nice they both are, too...

It will be nice to hear Dan's own version, that's another album to look forward to.

Keep them coming.

Social source share

It would have been easy to issue 'Tear Stained Face' on Shotgun but it's always more of a challenge to create interest in something new or different.

I think you'll find there are a couple of different mixes on the tapes of that classic thumper...the one on the Charly albums mentioned throughout this thread features beefed up brass etc. Can't recall the instrumental being there, but maybe your tapes were different to the ones Cliff White had access to once upon a time at Quin Ivy's place? I still see the Charly albums over here from time to time (they were cleared out over to these shores loooong ago)...timeless stuff.

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Paul

I think you'll find there are a couple of different mixes on the tapes of that classic thumper...the one on the Charly albums mentioned throughout this thread features beefed up brass etc. Can't recall the instrumental being there, but maybe your tapes were different to the ones Cliff White had access to once upon a time at Quin Ivy's place? I still see the Charly albums over here from time to time (they were cleared out over to these shores loooong ago)...timeless stuff.

:lol:

Hello Flynny

You're right there are two different mixes and I also have mono and stereo mixdowns.

If I ever issue 'Tear Stained Face' on a Shotgun single I'll probably issue the 'other' version but I'll probably issue it via another company, I've had a few license request for that track again recently.

I don't think I've heard an instrumental version but I could make one from a stereo 2-track but it would have backing vocals on it.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

I'm encouraged by these comments and I'm proud to control these wonderful Quinvy / South Camp recordings and songs via Selrec and Millbrand.

I've already licensed some Quinvy / South Camp tracks to other companies, including Ace, and will soon issue a series of Quinvy / South Camp albums on Selrec / Shotgun but first I want to release a few 45s to focus on some individual tracks that deserve special attention - such as 'Power Of Love'.

It was overlooked by many when it appeared on one of the Charly LPs back in 1989 but now I hope it will reach more people. For the Shotgun single I've remastered 'Power Of Love' from a 2-track stereo mixdown tape and I'm very pleased with the quality. It's rich, warm and punchy and should sound great in the clubs.

Paul,

The album series sounds mouthwatering, what format are you considering, LP, CD or both? Is there more unreleased stuff which didn't see the light of day when Charly released their LP series?

Cheers,

John

Social source share

Guest Paul

Paul,

The album series sounds mouthwatering, what format are you considering, LP, CD or both? Is there more unreleased stuff which didn't see the light of day when Charly released their LP series?

Cheers,

John

Hello John,

How are things?

It will probably be three CD albums (maybe four) and maybe a limited vinyl LP. I'll do more 45s too, maybe a June Edwards EP for example, and I'll also continue to license things to other companies so everything will become available one way or another.

And I'll do digital downloads too but not until physical product has been issued.

There isn't anything special which hasn't been heard previously but everything wil be superior quality. Technology has improved a lot since 1989 when those LPs were released and we have more photos etc.

I'll probably start a Quinvy / South Camp thread at some stage so I can get some input and opinions, rather than just use my own taste. These things are subjective so I don't want to be too self-indulgent when I do the final tracklistings etc.

So any help will be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Guest noss

"When It's Over" is a great track and was a spin down at George Jackson, which must be getting on for ten years ago now.

Social source share

Guest Paul

"When It's Over" is a great track and was a spin down at George Jackson, which must be getting on for ten years ago now.

Agreed, great track.

:sweatingbullets:

Social source share

It will probably be three CD albums (maybe four) and maybe a limited vinyl LP. I'll do more 45s too, maybe a June Edwards EP for example, and I'll also continue to license things to other companies so everything will become available one way or another.

There isn't anything special which hasn't been heard previously but everything wil be superior quality. Technology has improved a lot since 1989 when those LPs were released and we have more photos etc.

I'll probably start a Quinvy / South Camp thread at some stage so I can get some input and opinions, rather than just use my own taste. These things are subjective so I don't want to be too self-indulgent when I do the final tracklistings etc.

I'm doing fine.:sweatingbullets:

A June Edwards EP seems a great idea and I'll have to start putting the pennies away for these future releases.

Everybody probably knows about this, but for those who may not. Pete Nickols has written various indepth articals on the Norala and Quinvy studios for John Ridleys Sir Shambling website https://www.sirshambl...articlelist.htm

I hope you get significant sales, which I think sadly the Charly set didnt. :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert