Capitol Magnetics Winchester Va

KevH

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm not sure I understand the question. All acetates were premanufactured blanks - a lot of places that had cutting lathes also made custom labels that they stuck over the Audiodisc or Transco 'blanks'. In some cases the same labels were used from the 1960s into the 1980s. I have unused stock of labels from operations in Ohio and Oregon that were printed way back when. The links are pretty interesting.

One of the things that gets misunderstood pretty often is the recording source for acetates, ones that have labels from recording studios. The recording may have been cut somewhere else and taken to the studio where they had the cutting lathe for the acetate and acquired the label for the place with the lathe. During the switch from mono to stereo starting in the late 1960s, a stereo cutter was much more expensive than a mono one, so only one or two places in the area would have one and get all the stereo acetate cutting jobs even though the recording could have been done at any number of places.

- George

Social source share

I'm not sure I understand the question. All acetates were premanufactured blanks - a lot of places that had cutting lathes also made custom labels that they stuck over the Audiodisc or Transco 'blanks'. In some cases the same labels were used from the 1960s into the 1980s. I have unused stock of labels from operations in Ohio and Oregon that were printed way back when. The links are pretty interesting.

One of the things that gets misunderstood pretty often is the recording source for acetates, ones that have labels from recording studios. The recording may have been cut somewhere else and taken to the studio where they had the cutting lathe for the acetate and acquired the label for the place with the lathe. During the switch from mono to stereo starting in the late 1960s, a stereo cutter was much more expensive than a mono one, so only one or two places in the area would have one and get all the stereo acetate cutting jobs even though the recording could have been done at any number of places.

- George

Hi George,you've partly answered the question.I asked if its possible for releases in the 80's/90's using these labels.So if the labels are around,its possible.

To be a little more specific,would it make any sense to put out an Audiodisc 3 style label, with different artists each side,and release dates (some years apart).?

Social source share

Hi George,you've partly answered the question.I asked if its possible for releases in the 80's/90's using these labels.So if the labels are around,its possible.

To be a little more specific,would it make any sense to put out an Audiodisc 3 style label, with different artists each side,and release dates (some years apart).?

I've come across Audiodisc acetates (the 3 style you mentioned) with completely different artists on the sides as you described. I don't know why, other than I assume that someone wanted to make copies of sons to play on a turntable, such as a mobile DJ perhaps, and didn't have access to a commercial copy of the record. At one time records that weren't current hits were hard to get, even if they had been a big seller in the past. I remember seeing an acetate to use for a school production.

I hope this helps

George

Social source share