Soul Sam's 70Th Birthday @ The Clarendon Club

BIG THANKS TO SAM FOR LETTING ME HOST IS PARTY @ HINCKLEY

WOW GREAT NIGHT, FIRST WE PICKED SAM UP FROM HIS HOTEL IN A PORSCHE, THEN IT WAS FOR TO THE VENUE FOR A GREAT NIGHT WITH SAM AND ALL HIS FRIEND, GREAT TO SEE CHRIS DOLTON BRING MARY AND COLIN CHAPMAN ALONG, :hatsoff2: SAM WAS TAKEN BACK BY IT ALL, THANKS TO ALL THE DJ'S ANDY, MARK, SEAN, JOHN. AND SPECIAL GUEST GARY BELCHER. AND ALI NIGHTINGALE FOR DOING THE BIRTHDAY CAKE :thumbup: AND ALL THE SOUL FAMILY FOR A GREAT NIGHT, :thumbup:

SOULFUN AND LOVE SAM

Edited by XSS
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest sharmo 1

Sam and Andy you both deserve a medal for last night , do you know i never heared one bad comment about any thing and everything was perfect for "The old boy" as you know Sam that club means a hell of a lot to a lot of people who were there last night and some who were not.The stage in the smaller area where i was sellling records has seen loads of northern soul action over the last twenty years or so and I could imagen the souls of some of our late friends were there last night I'm thinking of the likes of Derek Allen and Niall from coventry celibrating Sam's birthday thank you for last night it ment a lot to see tina havng a dance and enjoying her self it's just what she needs at the moment.Sam told me that he was moved very deeply by everyones out pooring of affection for him , see you soon simon.XXXX.

Sam and Andy you both deserve a medal for last night , do you know i never heared one bad comment about any thing and everything was perfect for "The old boy" as you know Sam that club means a hell of a lot to a lot of people who were there last night and some who were not.The stage in the smaller area where i was sellling records has seen loads of northern soul action over the last twenty years or so and I could imagen the souls of some of our late friends were there last night I'm thinking of the likes of Derek Allen and Niall from coventry celibrating Sam's birthday thank you for last night it ment a lot to see tina havng a dance and enjoying her self it's just what she needs at the moment.Sam told me that he was moved very deeply by everyones out pooring of affection for him , see you soon simon.XXXX.

THANKS SIMON

YOU ARE A TRUE GENTLEMAN HOPE TO SEE AND TINA SOON

SOULFUN AND LOVE SAM AND ANDY

Guest sharmo 1

Sam don't know about the Gentleman bit i could think of a few ex girlfriends that mighn't not agree with you !!!! have a great day regardsSimon.XXX.

What a great night! A big well done to Sam and Andrew for getting it all together...........it ran like clockwork.

DJ times were out of the hat on the night, except Sam the man who had the 10pm-11.30pm spot. I drew the 11.30pm-12.30am spot, and like I said on the mic as I took over from the birthday boy, words like LEGEND are used far to often in all walks of life, but SOUL SAM is most definitely a LEGEND of our music (and that's not just Northern Soul in Sam's case!). To be a DJ at the TOP of your game for 40+ years (and counting......) is an amazing feat, and let's not forget he is also one of life's gentlemen.

It was a pleasure to be involved in this night...........an honour in fact. It wasn't a night for us to concern ourselves with playlists really, but I'm gonna post mine, as I felt it was very much in the spirit of Sam, in that it wasn't completely "safe" when considering it wasn't an upfront modern soul crowd which is what I'm more used to. So, here goes.......there are a few "Sammy" bits in there of course........

Prince Phillip Mitchell – I’m So Happy

Melvin Moore – All Of A Sudden

Charles Johnson – Never Had A Love So Good

Soul Brothers feat. Joi Cardwell – Let It Go (Deep Soul Vocal Mix)

Gregory Porter – 1960 What? (Opolopo Mix)

Flame ‘n’ King & The Bold Ones – Ho Happy Day

The O’Jays – I Love Music

Jeff Perry – Love Don’t Come No Stronger (Than Yours And Mine)

Otis Clay – The Only Way Is Up

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes – Prayin’

Ivan Matias – Somebody Knows How You Feel

The Sunburst Band – Everyday (Joey Negro Club Mix)

Larry Houston – Let’s Spend Some Time Together

Cheers,

Mark R

Guest Garry-C

Me and Rolly had a great night dancing to some cracking tunes, my favourites were

Mark IV - If you can't tell me something good

Exportations - I want you

Good to catch up with my old mates John Fisher and Gary Belcher and nice to see Sam dancing all night....... Sam Evans that is, good to see you again x

Can't forget to mention the guy who it was all for Soul Sam, who still had a big smile on his face when we had a last natter with him at the bar just before we left.

Superb :thumbup:

Well done to all involved

BIG THANKS TO SAM FOR LETTING ME HOST IS PARTY @ HINCKLEY

WOW GREAT NIGHT, FIRST WE PICKED SAM UP FROM HIS HOTEL IN A PORSCHE, THEN IT WAS FOR TO THE VENUE FOR A GREAT NIGHT WITH SAM AND ALL HIS FRIEND, GREAT TO SEE CHRIS DOLTON BRING MARY AND COLIN CHAPMAN ALONG, :hatsoff2: SAM WAS TAKEN BACK BY IT ALL, THANKS TO ALL THE DJ'S ANDY, MARK, SEAN, JOHN. AND SPECIAL GUEST GARY BELCHER. AND ALI NIGHTINGALE FOR DOING THE BIRTHDAY CAKE :thumbup: AND ALL THE SOUL FAMILY FOR A GREAT NIGHT, :thumbup:

SOULFUN AND LOVE SAM

Well done Sam and Andy you sound to have done him proud with all the organisation. Proper gentleman and soul god is Sam, can't believe its about 35 years since I first saw him on Cleethorpes Pier twiddling with the knobs and getting the same accolades then as he gets now. Best thing about it he never appears to have aged. I'm sure he'll still be around hitting the decks when he's 100.

Well done Sam and Andy you sound to have done him proud with all the organisation. Proper gentleman and soul god is Sam, can't believe its about 35 years since I first saw him on Cleethorpes Pier twiddling with the knobs and getting the same accolades then as he gets now. Best thing about it he never appears to have aged. I'm sure he'll still be around hitting the decks when he's 100.

hi paul

funny you say that about 100 i said that on the night ?

love sam and andy

I to would like to thank Sam & Andy for all the organization and hard work, that they put into this event. If it had't been for them then obviously the night wouldn't have taken place.

Personally, it was an honour and a privalige to be involved in this celebration of Sams life and career in Soul music.

His achievements over the past 40 years are truly magnificent and with his enthusiasim for all things soulfull showing absoulutley (sic) no signs of slowing down I am sure this will not be the last time we honour him.Thank you Sam for being an all round nice bloke and an inspiration to 100's of progressive soulies both past, and present.

It was also nice to see one of the soul worlds unsung heroes Mary Chapman, joining the hundreds of others in wishing Sam a happy 70th.

Musically we had everything from Marvin Gaye's classic Little Darling (SOUL SAM) thro to Gregory Porter's "1960 What" (MARK RANDALL) all of which were played to an enthusiastic dance floor.

As Mark said it wasn't an easy call when it came to selecting the play box for a night like this, but I thought that the Djs excelled in covering all the musical base's. It was particullarly pleasing to see my good friend Gary Belcher behind the decks after nearly six years, is he going to make a come back ???

For what its worth, here is what I played between 8 and 9 o'clock in no particular order

ZZ & COMPANY - GETTING READY FOR THE GET DOWN - COLUMBUS

MANDRILL - TOO LATE - ARISTA

RUFUS AND ROOTS - CAUGHT UP - T- JAYE

EXPORTATIONS - I WANT YOU - VIR-RO

GARY TOMS EMPIRE - LOVE ME RIGHT - P.I.P

MICHEAL PROCTER - LOVE DON'T LIVE - SOUL FURIC 12"

UBP - WE ARE ONE - SOUL FURIC 12"

SIR HENRY IVY - HE LEFT YOU STANDING THERE - FUTURE DIMENSION

BITS 'N PIECES - KEEP ON RUNNING AWAY - NASCO

JAMES BROWN - MONEY WONT CHANGE YOU - KING

FRANKIE NEWSOME - COMING ON STRONG STAYING LONG - SAGPORT

CANDI STATON - ONE MORE HURT - KENT

COOKING ON THREE BURNERS - THIS GIRL - FREE STYLE

ARETHA - ONE STEP (REMIX)

100% PURE POISON - YOU KEEP COMING BACK - EMI

WILLIE HUTCH - WHEN A BOY FALLS IN LOVE (pt 1) - RCA

ALMETA LATIMORE - THESE MEMORIES - MAINSTREAM

Edited by local

Thought it was a good night..Some different tunes but a good night.. Only thing was need to get some more ventillation in room... Thanks to all involved

The Indian down the roads not bad but slow...

Jon

Hi Jon good to see you saturday, sorry about the heat somthing to do with it being summer :sweatingbullets: and i did put 3 large fans in the room, and as for the indian thats out of my hands :rofl::hatsoff2:

soulfun and love sam and andy

Source Advert