Velours On Mgm

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I found 2 copies of this bootleg in Subway records in New York in 1979--they look just like the real thing--pre scanners and good photocopiers as well--suspect they were booted for the US market ?

Not seen one since then--but as I recall may not be as Crisp printing--a rare boot !!!

Rob

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Doctor Manship says:it has been booted twice on MGM

The print definition on the boot is not as clear the original

matrix reads k13780103,021 with a matrix stamp that looks like (bed)1/8 of a turn before the numbers

the (bed) stamp turns up a lot on MGM and Verve releases

Social source share

This is a scan of the bootleg.

I bought this around 1979, assuming it to be an original.

As stated above, the print isn't quite as sharp as a real one, although it's plenty good enough to fool the ill-informed. The sound quality is very good, although it does deteriorate slightly as the song progresses - it was the sound quality that first suggested to me that it was a boot.

post-18549-0-25287900-1326651189_thumb.j

Social source share

As stated above, the print isn't quite as sharp as a real one, although it's plenty good enough to fool the ill-informed. The sound quality is very good, although it does deteriorate slightly as the song progresses - it was the sound quality that first suggested to me that it was a boot.

See what you mean, the original (on the right) has much clearer numbers and letters, and is much sharper.

post-18549-0-25287900-1326651189_thumb.jpgpost-5890-12602723020401_thumb.jpg

Also, this may be just a coincidence, but weren't the Eddie Regan and Yum Yum's booted in a similar way at around the same time, and what market were they aimed at, UK or US?

Regards Bob

Social source share

I suppose in 79 you would think it to be an original, as there perhaps weren't many proper ones to compare against, plus at the time we were all still learning, whilst still being duped (perhaps thats how we learned - the hard way)

Regards Bob

Social source share

When examined closely, the print quality lacks the sharp definition of the original, or any other MGM demo for that matter. There's not much in it, but it is there. It's more obvious when my posted scan is enlarged.

I may be wrong, but I've always assumed that they were aimed at the UK market.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert