10 Tunes To Listen To

Sebastian

Just prepared this part-quiz part-sharing thingie for another soul/funk forum I'm on and thought that perhaps someone here is interested as well...

I just threw up ten MP3s on my server of some 45s (and one album cut) that I've been playing a lot lately. I'm not claiming that these are my "discoveries", that they're the best things since sliced bread (not that I'm a big fan of sliced bread, I prefer to slice it myself, but you get the point...) or anything like that. Just some tunes I enjoy. Not much of it, if any, is straight "northern", but it's all soul in some shape and well... Here they are if you'd like to check them out:

01. Moody, moody, big voiced Chicago soul. [HERE]

02. Frantic r&b with proto-funk breaks. [HERE]

03. More frantic southern stuff. [HERE]

04. Instrumental, organ-heavy mayhem. [HERE]

05. Mellow, mid-tempo crossover. [HERE]

06. Moody, deep soul from a well known artist on a tiny label. [HERE]

07. Uptempo, slightly funky early 70s with a slightly annoying intro. [HERE]

08. Pounding early 70s soul dancer out of Ohio. [HERE]

09. One of the most influential soul/r&b artists ever. You need to hear this if you haven't. [HERE]

10. Moody, brooding gospel ballad. [HERE]

That's it.

Hope you like some of them.

I'll post the artists/titles later if you're interested

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Sabastian,

Just played track 1 - City light's. Fantastic, perfect for the R & B room & what a voice she has. Who is she & what label?

Haven't forgotten the Mike Pedicin, their still looking. ranting_1.gif

Download somemore track's later, broadband fitted end of week, so they take forever at mo.

Karen.

Social source share

As you say, Sebastian, certainly all soul in one form or another.And a great demonstration in fact of just how versatile and varied the genre can be.The live Sam Cookish 'Bring it on home to me' is a gem, as are many of them. Have only just downloaded all ten and have listened to the first few seconds of them all. I'm now thoroughly enjoying the above. Thanks a lot. Let's have some details!

On listening agion I'm almost certain that this is not only Sam Cookish, but the man himself. First time I have heard a 'live' Sam Cook. Much earthier than studio Sam.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Hi Sabastian,

Just played track 1 - City light's. Fantastic, perfect for the R & B room & what a voice she has. Who is she & what label?

\

It's Cleo Randle-City Lights on Sta-Set. On JM's site for 40.00, seen on ebay for less. Also, she performs it on "The Beat" dvd that Pete-S sells(free plug, Pete!).

Social source share

\

It's Cleo Randle-City Lights on Sta-Set. On JM's site for 40.00, seen on ebay for less. Also, she performs it on "The Beat" dvd that Pete-S sells(free plug, Pete!).

Thank's for that, I'll check Ebay first. If you read this Pete, you can send me detail's of Dvd.

Social source share

Thanks for the comments! :P

Track 01 is indeed Cleo Randle on Sta-Set, and that clip of her on "The!!! Beat" is great, definitely check it out.

Track 06 is not James Carr.

The Sam Cooke track is taken from his newly re-released and remastered "One Night Stand - Live At The Harlem Square Club" CD on RCA/LEGACY. It's a truly revelatory and absolutely excellent listen and one of my favourite albums of all time. It's got that same kind of energy all the way through and it sounds nothing like his studio recordings from that time. Just full-on bust-it-open screaming and shouting for 35 minutes. Definitely do check it out. I love it!!! Can be had cheap from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...9699114-8657206

OK, so far:

01. Cleo Randle - Big City Lights - STA-SET

09. Sam Cooke - You Send Me / Bring It On Home To Me (live) - RCA LP/CD

Some more guesses/suggestions or shall I reveal the rest?

Social source share

Paul is totally right (apart from Moses being dreadful... :P ). 06 is Johnny Copeland's fine flipside to "Danger Zone" on Boogaloo (a Huey P. Meaux label and a quite obscure 45 it seems). No cash prizes, I'm afraid... :( But here's an updated list:

06. Johnny Copeland - Slow Walk You Down - BOOGALOO

07. Moses - I Got My Mind Together - PIEDMONT

08. Willie Rogers - Everything You Touch (Turns To Love) - AMG

09. Sam Cooke - You Send Me / Bring It On Home To Me (live) - RCA LP/CD

:P

Social source share

Here's the complete list of tunes for those of you who are interested:

02. Gino Parks - Fire - TAMLA

03. Al Johnson - Soul Time - BURT

04. Jon Thomas - Tizzy - JUNIOR