Swan Label & Global In M/c

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Are we talking masters or vinyl stock?

If its masters, John Beecher certainly doesn't own them according to the names listed below.

Following lengthy discussions with Sheila Ferguson, Tony Galla, General Johnson and Chris Biehler, the consensus is Tony Mamarella owned the label following Dick Clark's departure.

Bernie Binnick and Ed Balbia bought certain parts of the stock and tapes that were not in dispute.

Product such as The Showmen, Tony Galla reverted back to the outfits that created them.

Vinyl stock wise, maybe Rick from Stockport has a few answers.

Social source share

The Global stock ended up with John Beecher...initially stored in a truck trailer in a field!

They were then moved to the relative comfort of a store room located under a womans clothes shop in Cirencester!

At least, that is where I had the pleasure of going through them...didn't find much though...obviously picked to shreads.

I wonder if they are still under that same shop!?

:g:

Social source share

Right, here's my pennyworth, to the best of my knowledge, john beecher(roller coaster records), had the rock and roll pop stuff, ie sun, phillips etc, and roger banks had the related r&b, soul stuff, ie king etc, plus all shelf stock. Unless I'm told differently, ther weren't many major items left, although, styles do change. Mind you though, as has been reported before, there's been some mighty fine records, come out of there. Is Ed Balbier, still alive?.

Social source share

The Global stock ended up with John Beecher...initially stored in a truck trailer in a field!

They were then moved to the relative comfort of a store room located under a womans clothes shop in Cirencester!

At least, that is where I had the pleasure of going through them...didn't find much though...obviously picked to shreads.

I wonder if they are still under that same shop!?

:g:

Flynny , did you go through the womens clothes :wicked: or the records :g:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Flynny , did you go through the womens clothes :wicked: or the records :g:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Sorry matey, only the records so no point you sending me your womaen's clothes wants list! :P

There were plenty of James Brown discs down there...which was handy as the sampling phenominum was just kicking off in London at the time! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Are we talking masters or vinyl stock?

If its masters, John Beecher certainly doesn't own them according to the names listed below.

Following lengthy discussions with Sheila Ferguson, Tony Galla, General Johnson and Chris Biehler, the consensus is Tony Mamarella owned the label following Dick Clark's departure.

Bernie Binnick founded Swan and was involved in the label's operation right up to its demise, I believe.

He rowed Dick Clark and his 'American Bandstand' producer Tony Mammarella in for a piece of the label at its incorporation - just as the people at Cameo-Parkway and several other important 50s Philly labels did - in exchange for what might politely be termed 'prominent product positioning' on 'Bandstand'.

Dick Clark gave up his interest in Swan (and all the other labels he had a 'interest' in) at the insitence of his emplolers ABC TV after the Paypla commiission of 1959 and 1960 had somehow managed to find him innocent of any wrongdoing (yeah, right...)

Far as I know, whatever some former Swan acts may have claimed to the contrary 'my very good friend' John Beecher owns the whole Swan catalogue, and its subsidiary Lawn - apart from the obvious things that were licensed in (e.g. the Beatles and several other things that Swan got from EMI) and all of Freddy Cannon's masters, which Freddy got back several years ago and possibly even before John bought the rights to the catalogue. He's very meticulous with his licensing, and won't license something out unless he has contractual paperwork confirning his absolute ownership...

I know that some producers of certain Swan Records have claimed in the past that Swan's bankruptcy nullified its ownership of certain masters, but I doubt if too many claims stand up to close scrutiny other than JB's.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert