Detroit Or Chicago - Which City Had The Right Groove Going On?

Both Detroit and Chicago have given the rare soul scene IMO the sound we now call Northern Soul, yes there were other cities in the States who produced some wonderful records but the motor and windy cities are without question head and shoulders above the rest, outside of Motown in Detroit and Chess in Chicago both cities had hundreds of small mom and pop labels all trying to emulate and find their success in commercial terms and as we now know failed for whatever reasons.

I thought it would be interesting to compare the two cities, their contribution to our scene in terms of the huge number of records we collect, play and dance too. So which do you favour and why? i like both cities for a number of reasons and if this thread creates interest then perhaps we can debate in detail.

If i'm pushed Detroit just has the edge mainly down to the volume of labels and the pure quality of the likes of Ric - Tic, Thelma, D - Town, Revilot etc. but i guess the same can be said for the likes of One - derful, M-Pac, St Lawrence etc. So Detroit or Chicago???? over to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Both Detroit and Chicago have given the rare soul scene IMO the sound we now call Northern Soul, yes there were other cities in the States who produced some wonderful records but the motor and windy cities are without question head and shoulders above the rest, outside of Motown in Detroit and Chess in Chicago both cities had hundreds of small mom and pop labels all trying to emulate and find their success in commercial terms and as we now know failed for whatever reasons.

I thought it would be interesting to compare the two cities, their contribution to our scene in terms of the huge number of records we collect, play and dance too. So which do you favour and why? i like both cities for a number of reasons and if this thread creates interest then perhaps we can debate in detail.

If i'm pushed Detroit just has the edge mainly down to the volume of labels and the pure quality of the likes of Ric - Tic, Thelma, D - Town, Revilot etc. but i guess the same can be said for the likes of One - derful, M-Pac, St Lawrence etc. So Detroit or Chicago???? over to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Sorry it would help if i spelt Detroit right...lol...now should be spelt correctly...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Both Detriot and Chicago have given the rare soul scene IMO the sound we now call Northern Soul, yes there were other cities in the States who produced some wonderful records but the motor and windy cities are without question head and shoulders above the rest, outside of Motown in Detroit and Chess in Chicago both cities had hundreds of small mom and pop labels all trying to emulate and find their success in commercial terms and as we now know failed for whatever reasons.

If i'm pushed Detriot just has the edge mainly down to the volume of labels and the pure quality of the likes of Ric - Tic, Thelma, D - Town, Revilot etc. but i guess the same can be said for the likes of One - derful, M-Pac, St Lawrence etc. So Detriot or Chicago???? over to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Oh, shut up!! I vote for Accrington.

ROD

Social source share

Chicago for me, has much more of a raw sound to it compared to Detriot, its only a very very fine line between the both though, Chicago is a head by a nats nacker for me though :yes:

Social source share

Im sorry. It's hysterical relief. My wife was abducted on her way to work on Tuesday but the kidnappers have just phoned to ask how much I want to take her back.Obviously I pretended to be the local Chinese take-away

ROD

Rod....you need some serious professional help mate....lol

Oh i'll have a portion of no 6, no 23, no 56 and a fried rice please.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

whats a nats nacker, exactly?

er....Chicago. I do love me some Detroit though-No doubt about that. Chicago is really first and foremost a blues/r&b town. I think thats reflected in a lot of the soul music from here, especially early on-and def throughout the one derful-mar v lus-M Pac catalog. So many crossover artists as well, Harrold Burrage, Otis Clay etc....yes, Chicago. Place of my birth. Warmth of my heart. Frosbite on my ass.

Social source share

Detroit or chigago

black or white

male or female

philli or whatever

muslim or christian

uk or usa

ken(me) or keb.... :lol:

wigan or cleethorpes

north or south

for me none of this makes any sense ph34r.gif i dont care where its from,as long as its good....i like to think i am as broad as i am wide,if that make any sense................. :ohmy:

:ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Detroit or chigago

black or white

male or female

philli or whatever

muslim or christian

uk or usa

ken(me) or keb.... :ohmy:

wigan or cleethorpes

north or south

for me none of this makes any sense :lol: i dont care where its from,as long as its good....i like to think i am as broad as i am wide,if that make any sense................. ohmy.gif

:ohmy:

Oh bollocks Ken...i give up...lol Pontificate all you like mate...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share