Lynn Varnado

Wash and Wear Love on gator, had it since 74 through it was a boot until an hour ago, alligator is green and the lettering gator is red, never played it bit to poppy for me, well known record dealer and DJ i will not mention his name very good friend of mine he played it one allnighter i had a look at it, and all i could see the red marking above the lettering and a red line going down the alligator's back, i said 'oh mine looks difference to that, he said you got the second issue to found that i haven't so what issue was he playing? Billy

Social source share

Blimey - in the JM guide for £2K. Only 2 label scans in the guide - boot is plain yellow with black script/logo so don't know what your collector/DJ friend was spinning Billy.

i been told theres green copy also,the one i saw ,have red marking above the lettering , also downs its back  , 2k no way  billy ps hope u r keeping well mike

Social source share

Thanks Rupert, thats not the one i see playing at one of the top allnighers

, it was yellow and black will red markings above the lettering and down its back, looks like its been made up to look like the real thing cheers Billy

Social source share

does the one on popsike look like yours  ?

The shades of colour is different but its gone on the picture, its a bit more orangery and the green is abit lighter, but i would say yes, it was not the same as that DJ played.Cheers Billy ps theres a chip on the run in

Social source share

I didn't realise "Wash and wear love" was played as early as '74? I know "Second hand love" was known, but I can't recall hearing "WAWL" until much later, after Dave Godin had mentioned it in his column. Who was the dj playing it in '74?

Social source share

I didn't realise "Wash and wear love" was played as early as '74? I know "Second hand love" was known, but I can't recall hearing "WAWL" until much later, after Dave Godin had mentioned it in his column. Who was the dj playing it in '74?

It might have been Russ Winstanley (really) it was a fav of his. It was certainly played before 76 as I remember dancing to it, but can't remember exact date

Social source share

It might have been Russ Winstanley (really) it was a fav of his. It was certainly played before 76 as I remember dancing to it, but can't remember exact date

i first heard it around 75 prob mecca..then maybe at samanthas..i remember later that Kev roberts had a copy for sale at a Notts palais all dayer..£30..which i thought was a bit steep at the time...just shows you...

Social source share

Billy put a picture or scan up so we can what yours is like,cheers.

Dave f..........

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I'm not into pictures or scans, can't get my head around it. I'm not too bothered if it's Ovo or a boot, I had it that many years, it ain't going nowhere. As I said in the first posting, when he played that sound which i haven't heard over 10 years or more. I went and had a look at it and it definitely had a red mark down it's back and above the lettering, but after seeing Popsike, his is different. The Colour of Mine is slightly different but it's definitely got red-lettering coming out of it's mouth and the back is a light green. I don't understand why it doesn't get played on a regular basis, still a bit poppy for me but overall a good sound.

Cheers Billy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Wash and wear love was a one off Ian Levine spin at the Mecca in 1975. I remember selling Colin Curtis the second copy around that time for cash and swaps to the value of 100 pounds, which was a lot of dosh in those days. Its always been a hard record to turn up.

John

Social source share

Guest martyn

Why?  Good singer but rubbish lyrics, barely danceable, in other words, crap.  

Disagree, I remember it packing the floor with dancers. I love it - always have.

Social source share

Wash and wear love was a one off Ian Levine spin at the Mecca in 1975. I remember selling Colin Curtis the second copy around that time for cash and swaps to the value of 100 pounds, which was a lot of dosh in those days. Its always been a hard record to turn up.

John

WHY SO MUCH MONEY,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!