Ray Pollard Drifter - Booted?

Guest Okeh
Go to solution Solved by Guest Okeh,

Sorry if this has been asked on here before but if it has I can't find the thread.

Being such a classic I would have expected that at some time this would have been booted?

According to JM's guide it hasn't but I have a white demo which has a different label design to any of the copies listed on popsike.

Could it just be different due to the East Coast, West coast thing and different pressing plants or could it be a boot?

Any help appreciated

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I think there was a release on stardust but not aware of an actual boot

Thanks Dave, seen the Stardust reissue but seems strange that it never got booted like Jimmy Radcliffe Long after tonight.

Sure mines an original press but so far I can't find a label scan with the same design.

Social source share

Just loaded the two designs up, might make it a bit clearer.

The one on the left is the label design found on Popsike and on all google label scans and my copy is on the right.

The difference can easily be seen in the layout of the fonts.

post-19760-0-25292100-1388840848.jpg

post-19760-0-70920100-1388840877_thumb.j

Edited by Okeh
Social source share

Just loaded the two designs up, might make it a bit clearer.

The one on the left is the label design found on Popsike and on all google label scans and my copy is on the right.

The difference can easily be seen in the layout of the fonts.

The different fonts could well be something as simple as different pressing plants. Major labels, could use as many as 5 or 6 pressing plants for bigger runs of some 45's. But wouldn't surprise me to see a bootleg from more recent years, as nothing seem to be beyond their reach now days. Used to be a time when they wouldn't do major label stuff. But seems most major labels gave up chasing them years ago, as it was so hard to get convictions.

Social source share

The different fonts could well be something as simple as different pressing plants. Major labels, could use as many as 5 or 6 pressing plants for bigger runs of some 45's. But wouldn't surprise me to see a bootleg from more recent years, as nothing seem to be beyond their reach now days. Used to be a time when they wouldn't do major label stuff. But seems most major labels gave up chasing them years ago, as it was so hard to get convictions.

Thanks Dave,

Definitely not a recent boot and hopefully a variation between pressing plants.

Would be interested if anyone on here has a copy with the same label design as the one on the right.

Social source share

There's no boot of this, it wasn't played hardly in the 70's so that's why there's no release of it from then.

Thanks Pete, You've hopefully confirmed what I wanted to hear.....phew, it's a minefield!

Social source share

Those shown above are two legitimate original issues.  The one on the right looks to be a styrene pressing from Monarch Pressing Plant in L.A., while that on the left looks like from Columbia New York.

Thanks Rob,

My copy on the right is Styrene and does have a Monarch stamp so looking like a West coast copy.

Social source share

• Solution

Cheers Dave,

Not only does it confirm that like I have an original copy but the Monarch table shows that Delta 58293 was pressed between At the latter end of 1965.

Amazing the amount of knowledge on this forum.

Thanks everyone

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert