Johnny Thunder - I'm Alive - Calla

Pete S

JOHNNY THUNDER - I'M ALIVE / VERBAL EXPRESSIONS OF TV - CALLA 161 NEAR MINT £40.  I nicked this description from an Ebay sale as I'd never set eyes on it until I found it 2 minutes ago.

JOHNNY THUNDER
A: I'm Alive
B: Verbal Expressions Of T.V.
[CALLA 161, US]

Listen to this below if you don't know it! When it all comes down to it, this is the ULTIMATE and only version of "I'm Alive" that matters. All other versions (Don Fardon, The Clique, Tommy James, Blue Swede, Claude Francois, E.R. & The Rough Riders etc.) are weak, wimpy and pale into insignificance when compared to this version. Johnny Thunder screams his head off over a fuzz-drenched punchy backing track. Truly essential stuff that always fills the dancefloor. Equally good flipside as well. Don't miss out! In absolutely jawdropping M- condition.

Vinyl condition: M-

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Think i have a copy of this somewhere, weird release for him, wasn't he a sort of soul crooner?.I like the don fardon version, great uk production.

Social source share

Think i have a copy of this somewhere, weird release for him, wasn't he a sort of soul crooner?.I like the don fardon version, great uk production.

I honestly thought he was white, I might be thinking of someone else, did a load of singles on Diamond Records, some pretty good beat ballads.

Social source share

The hype text above is from one of my old eBay listings. The Johnny Thunder version of "I'm Alive" is one of the best pieces of music ever recorded in my opinion.

Interesting piece about it in an interview with Bob Dylan from a 1968 issue of "Rolling Stone" magazine:

WENNER: Is there anything happening on the current rock and roll scene that strikes you as good?

DYLAN: Yeah, I heard a record by Johnny Thunder. It’s called “I’m Alive.” Never heard it either, huh? Well, I can’t believe it. Everyone I’ve talked to, I’ve asked them if they’ve heard that record.

WENNER: Is it on the radio right now?

DYLAN: I don’t know. I heard it on the radio a month ago, two months ago... three months ago. It was one of the most powerful records I’ve ever heard. It’s called “I’m Alive.” By Johnny Thunder. Well, it was that sentiment, truly expressed. That’s the most I can say... if you heard the record, you’d know what I mean. But that’s about all...

:thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert