Help Identifying Song/artist

Guest MrRe

Hello!

Hopefully I have found somewhere that can help me with a problem I have had for the past 20 years!

Summer of 86 - Life is good. At a party. I am young. Beer flows. Women find me attractive(probably the alcohol or the fact its dimly lit!). A song is played on the cassette deck that starts with a thundering base line. Get goose bumps. That moment is forever etched in my memory. Problem is I have never discovered who the artist was or what the song was called. The guy that did the tape was going to lend it to me but due to events beyond my control (got arrested!) I never got the tape. Told you it was a memorable night!

Anyway, the only thing about the song that I can recall are some of the lyrics. The verse ended with:

,,,we've got to hurry before it too late

The chorus was something like:

What are we going to do about it girl

Need some(or your) lovin, yeah!

Thought it might have been someone like Leroy Burgress but not the case. Despite Googling all the permenations of the lyrics, I just can't find a lead.

So if anyone has any ideas, I would be eternally grateful!

Robin.

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello!

Hopefully I have found somewhere that can help me with a problem I have had for the past 20 years!

Summer of 86 - Life is good. At a party. I am young. Beer flows. Women find me attractive(probably the alcohol or the fact its dimly lit!). A song is played on the cassette deck that starts with a thundering base line. Get goose bumps. That moment is forever etched in my memory. Problem is I have never discovered who the artist was or what the song was called. The guy that did the tape was going to lend it to me but due to events beyond my control (got arrested!) I never got the tape. Told you it was a memorable night!

Anyway, the only thing about the song that I can recall are some of the lyrics. The verse ended with:

,,,we've got to hurry before it too late

The chorus was something like:

What are we going to do about it girl

Need some(or your) lovin, yeah!

Thought it might have been someone like Leroy Burgress but not the case. Despite Googling all the permenations of the lyrics, I just can't find a lead.

So if anyone has any ideas, I would be eternally grateful!

Robin.

It s not What Am I gonna do -

JG Lewis is it?

Sort of fit s the lyric s and definately right for the time. I can see how Johny Gilliam could sound a bit like Leroy B too.

Cant put a sound bite up for you ..sorry it s too technical for me.

Social source share

JG Lewis is it?

Sort of fit s the lyric s and definately right for the time. I can see how Johny Gilliam could sound a bit like Leroy B too.

Thanks for the info. Don't worry about the technical stuff. Let the Googling begin!

Memories too hazy for the exact lyrics. But that sort of matches the rather plaintive feel of the song. Sort of hit a chord (no pun indeed) with my relationship issues at the time!

Its going to be one of those song I will know instantly when I finally get to hear it again!

Although its going to bring back some hurtful memories! Hey I'm a big boy now!

Robin.

Social source share

JG Lewis is it?

Ahhh bless her.......let me help you out there Trina :thumbsup: xx

JG_Lewis.mp3

post-646-1153158410.jpg

Edited by Chunky
Social source share

Grrr...!

How frustrating. I too lack the technical ability to be able to hear this!

I'm afraid mp3 just passed me by. Still listerning to tapes from the 80's! What do i need to hear it?

So can someone who can hear it sort of see if its fits the profile in terms of lyrical content.

I'm pretty sure it should have a heavy bass hook. Thats why I liked it. Bit like hearing Slave's Touch Of Love for the first time!

I noticed it was issued in 76. Not that it matters. We often didn't get to hear things until years after. I don't recall hearing it a club. I think I heard it once on the radio.

Remember hearing Chocolate Milk in the mid 80's and thinking it was fresh. I was about a decade out of touch!

Thanks for everyones help so far!

Robin.

Social source share

Drat!

Managed to hear it and its not the song I looking for!

I can see how the lyrical comparsion was made.

I think the track I'm looking for would be an 80's track. More funky/electronic production but soulful singer. Its really difficult to categorise.

I'll check out this other lead!

Thanks!

Robin.

Social source share

"What are we going to do about it"

There's a mid 8o's song by this name. From memory there I have two versions, a UK and US one. The names have gone from my head at the moment and my 12" singles are not here but ...I may have one of the two versions on CDR. line...I'll look now and see if i can get it online. I wouldn't describe it as sounding like Slave though...more Pop/Soul.

Drat!

Managed to hear it and its not the song I looking for!

I can see how the lyrical comparsion was made.

I think the track I'm looking for would be an 80's track. More funky/electronic production but soulful singer. Its really difficult to categorise.

I'll check out this other lead!

Thanks!

Robin.

Social source share

"What are we going to do about it"

There's a mid 8o's song by this name. From memory there I have two versions, a UK and US one. The names have gone from my head at the moment and my 12" singles are not here but ...I may have one of the two versions on CDR. line...I'll look now and see if i can get it online. I wouldn't describe it as sounding like Slave though...more Pop/Soul.

Cheers Simon!

Yeah! Perhaps the Slave reference is a bit misleading. But its the hook that I remember!

You may be onto something. It was definitely commercial and not obscure.

Robin.

Social source share

Right. Found on CDR one of the two versions. Stupidly, it's not got the artist listed on it but I think I played it on The Metropolitan Soul Show a while back so I'll see if I can find a playlist.

I think this is the UK version and it's the weaker of the two (although as with all these sort of records you have to hear them on a bassy system to get the full effect !) But it'll give you the basis of the song.

what.mp3

Social source share

Simon!

You are the man!

That sounds like it to me. When I hear the lyrics I'll know for sure! You can see what I mean about the hook. Guess it was more electronic than I remember. Not sure how to classify it really.

I hope to god this isn't by some cheesy group like 5 Star( fellow Essex dwellers I recall) or something or my rare groove credentials will be shot :lol: Then again you wouldn't have played it if it was cheesy - would you :thumbsup:

Look forward to finding out the artist/group after 20 years!

Not looking forward to dreaming tonight either!

Chuffed to bits!

Robin.

Edited by MrRe
Social source share

Wish I could remember who it is ! The strange thing is I can usually visualise the label but it won't come into my head. But the name 'Milton' is ringing bells...maybe Milton Brown?

The other version is tougher sounding. I can hear the 'Slave' bassline now too. Still searching for the other version on CDR but otherwise if i get time tomorrow I'll get the 12" over here and transfer it.

Social source share

Mercy Mercy ! Thats it. Simons of the world unite !

The other version was a solo guy I'm sure. I reckon thats the one you heard Robin. I think I have Mercy Mercy on a white label 12" which is why the label wouldn't come into my head...but I think it

was on PRT.

Nope, not a white label...a black and white label....and not PRT.

Social source share

Spooky!

Too many Simons!

What can I say.

Most of all I'm relieved that my mind wasn't playing tricks. I'll see what I can find out about this group.

It's difficult to tell if the version I heard was a solo or group effort.

Was it a commercial/mainstream record?

Cheers!

Robin.

Social source share

Hmmm...

The more listen, the more it sounds Fatback influenced. Especially the way it builds up.

Ah!... Fatback, Hammersmith 86! Still got the t shirt! Not that it goes round me any more!

Edited by MrRe
Social source share

Ok!

Its amazing what you can find once you know what you are looking for. Just enough of the lyrics to confirm the song!

post-5620-1153175765.jpg

post-5620-1153175787.jpg

Social source share

Guest rachel

Isn't Soul Source great :lol:

Robin, since you're new, you might want to do a quick intro in the Intros forum here https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44, let us know a bit about yourself/musical taste/venues etc - plus it'll let you be upgraded to a 'Mint' member with full use of site (if you want to that is) :thumbsup:

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert