What !? Jeff Floyd

Been talking about this period a lot with Stuart Norfolk as he's one of the only fella's I see out regularly of late from the old days (although it was great to play these records to Jacko snr&jr and the Hull folk at the bethnal green soul club the other week). 
On Friday we were praising records such as Bill Sugar Bear Jones 'Step Away' which would probably clear floors at current soul events. 
I have quite a few flyers in the loft (including the dom polski) will try and dig them all out when I can. 

Social source share

Cripes! Sat on a copy of that with pic sleeve for years. Went in a job lot a few years back.

But, I only paid a pound for it out of curiosity out of a very well known dealers' bargain bin at Soul Essence about 15 years ago!

You win some.....

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Stuart Cosgrove's articles at the time gave an insite into a few of the artists , was it not Richard C on a whole page in Echoes some time in 1984 ?

Hello Simon,

Hope all is well for you. It was a whole article about the current( at the time) resurgence in the Memphis Soul scene with an in depth piece on Richard Carl Watson ( Richard C)..... That Sho boat label 45 still sounds great ! Stuart Cosgrove did some great pieces in Black Echoes. There were Northern and Indie soul special articles as well from the same period. Good times. It was only Echoes and Steve G's Blackbeat magazine that even mentioned this stuff.....

Anyone remember Jay Strongman flirting with indie soul in the mid 80s too ?

Social source share

Hello Ivor,

I don't remember Jay Strongman doing it, but I do remember Robbie Vincent having a brief dance on his Radio 1 show with Indie Soul......I even sent him some records to play (Johnny Dean etc.) which he duly did....Steve

He used to call it the little label collection.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hello Ivor,

I don't remember Jay Strongman doing it, but I do remember Robbie Vincent having a brief dance on his Radio 1 show with Indie Soul......I even sent him some records to play (Johnny Dean etc.) which he duly did....Steve

Sitting Around My Table : good 45 still dig it out now and again ,his best - not sure an album ever came out despite it being cited on the label.

i have got some Jay Strongman shirts from Rok a Cha - I think that was his anyway.

RV little label collection - I remember him playing Linda Tillery Secrets, Perry Sisters Maybe Tomorrow,Thomas & Taylor before it got UK release......happy daze !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I remember Danny Rampling having a dabble pre 1987 . Do you remember the Broadstairs weekender Ivor ? lol

I do remember it well Simon...... Great days indeed.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hello Ivor,

Yes Steve...... Robbie V used to play the odd I dependant Soul record in the little label spotlight on his radio show. Jay Strongmans flirtation with this stuff was around the mid 80s when he was doing the Electric Ballroom ( Camden) just after the Gogo stuff was popular.... I was surprised because the stuff he was playing was identical to the type of tunes being played at Modern Soul venues of the time. Didn't last though.....!

Social source share

Sitting Around My Table : good 45 still dig it out now and again ,his best - not sure an album ever came out despite it being cited on the label.

i have got some Jay Strongman shirts from Rok a Cha - I think that was his anyway.

RV little label collection - I remember him playing Linda Tillery Secrets, Perry Sisters Maybe Tomorrow,Thomas & Taylor before it got UK release......happy daze !

Charles Beverly was another :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

RV little label collection - I remember him playing Linda Tillery Secrets, Perry Sisters Maybe Tomorrow,Thomas & Taylor before it got UK release......happy daze ![/quot

Hello Neil,

Yes...... Rock A Cha was part owned( I think) by Jay Strongman. It's weird because I know this as my mates had a stall directly opposite theirs in Kensington Market. My mates used to sell clothes and records on the stall. I spent many an afternoon with them and we used to talk to the Rock A Cha people. It wasn't until years later that I realised who he was. They were so into the the whole fifties look whereas we were young moddy types back then. My mate used to order 100 packs from Soul Bowl and there were loads of good stuff in them then. Kensington market was a fantastic place for anyone who wanted to dress apart from the mainstream.....

Great days.

Social source share

Hi Ivor

i had a few shirts - didn't get all 50's and didn't have a clue who's stall it was till years later. I agree it was a proper treasure trove just like the soul bowl packs. Anytime I had a trip to London I'd head there and Record Corner, Hanway Street. Mid 80's ish.

good stuff

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!