Jesse James Track Info Please

I've been trying to track down a record called "I'm falling in love for the first time" by Jesse James. There is a YouTube clip, showing the Sam Dees "Show must go on" LP cover, with no other info.

In the previous JM guide 5th Edition, it is listed under Jesse James as Buddah 315 ( at £40) with "Sweetest little thing (this side of heaven)" on the flip side.

However, on the JM web-site, I find the Buddah 315-DJ listed at Jesse & The James Boys, with Sweetest Little thing..." On both sides, suggesting that there may be a Buddah 315 issue, with "Falling in love..." On the other side. (1972)

Do any of you knowledgable chaps have any info on this record?

Which Jesse James is it ?

What's more, does anybody have a copy for sale ?

Cheers

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

However, on the JM web-site, I find the Buddah 315-DJ listed at Jesse & The James Boys, with Sweetest Little thing..." On both sides, suggesting that there may be a Buddah 315 issue, with "Falling in love..." On the other side. (1972)

Yes, there is an issue/stock release of this 45 with "Falling In Love For The First Time" as the b-side.

I don't own it, but found a scan of it from a 2012 eBay sale of the 45.

Jesse James And The James Boys - Sweetest Little Thing / Falling In Love For The First Time - BUDDAH 315

post-1392-0-16378500-1405586577_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Reviving this two and a half year old thread with an update:

Up to now the only (few) copies I've seen have been of the later dark brown style label - as shown in the above scan.

I've just come across a copy with the earlier label design, which from what I can make out changed over around July 1972.

According to info I've got from 45Cat, it seems to have started around the 300th release, although this would now be the earliest one I've seen up to date.

This 45 seems to be from August of that year, so would be in the middle of the changeover period when the older labels were being used up I guess?

Has anyone else got or seen this record on this label before, as I haven't!

Jesse James and the James Boys Falling in love the first time.jpg?

By the way, I've also realised that the correct title is actually "Falling in love the first time" - The word 'for' isn't on either of the label designs!

Social source share

Around that time (June / July 72) Buddah were having more success with distributed label releases than with their own output .... Sussex (Bill Withers),  T-Neck (Isleys), Hot Wax (Laura Lee, Honey Cone, 100 Proof) & Curtom (Curtis, Impressions, Donny H & June C) stuff was keeping them really busy.

Most of their own summer releases got little or no promotional push & those 45's just seemed to have been put out in promo format, sent out to radio stns and forgotten about (& no radio DJ's picked up on them at the time). They were however still getting chart action on the Trammps & Barbara Mason's earlier 45's (#306 & 296). Both artists had follow ups released in Sept 72 (#319 & 321) and those releases got some push.

I guess the Jesse James 45 was put out to keep Jesse happy as his artists Chee Chee & Peppy had some small success with their Buddah 45's following their 71 big hit "I Know I'm In Love". The Chee Chee & Peppy tracks were cut by Jesse at Sigma Sound, so I guess his own stuff was also laid down there.

Social source share

On 12/01/2017 at 12:11, John Benson said:

Up to now the only (few) copies I've seen have been of the later dark brown style label - as shown in the above scan.

I've just come across a copy with the earlier label design, which from what I can make out changed over around July 1972.

According to info I've got from 45Cat, it seems to have started around the 300th release, although this would now be the earliest one I've seen up to date.

This 45 seems to be from August of that year, so would be in the middle of the changeover period when the older labels were being used up I guess?

By the way, I've also realised that the correct title is actually "Falling in love the first time" - The word 'for' isn't on either of the label designs!

Hello John, my copy is the same as above the multi coloured design. From memory I think I got it from Butch. ATB Steve 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 1/14/2017 at 10:16, Roburt said:

Around that time (June / July 72) Buddah were having more success with distributed label releases than with their own output ....

To back up my previous post ... here's two things Buddah Records management were working hard on that June / July ....

They provided Sussex / Hot Wax artists with major support on a big NY show (see below) ... . . . . AND ...

They commenced a major campaign to launch a whole new project that seemed to almost instantly fail in a massive way.....

the CELEBRITY AUDIO MAGAZINE (LP) .. 

BuddahCurrentLP2.jpg

BuddahCurrentLP.jpg

CurrentLP.jpg

BuddahRecs2.jpg

BuddahActsJuly72b.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 12/01/2017 at 12:11, John Benson said:

Hi John, I’ve got a copy of this one on this label, what a great song, has it proven tough to acquire? 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Ian Williams said:

Hi John, I’ve got a copy of this one on this label, what a great song, has it proven tough to acquire? 

Hi Ian, no it didn't really, but I just dropped on it rather than actually searching for it!
But on saying that, since then I haven't been taking notice how often it turns up.

Social source share

20 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

Ive had mine a few years.. its the multi coloured earlier type design. i bought a load of stuff from an overseas friend of mine and it was in there. might give it a spin at some point as i put it in alternate box 2 which i will take out this month on my little tour lol

I wonder why the silhouette of a Shiva statue (publishing) was originally on the labels and then replaced with a Buddha (which made sense) ?

Jesse was writer with Cliff Nobles, but I can't find out much about Curtis Wilson(Writer) 

Cliff.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

12 hours ago, John Benson said:

Hi Ian, no it didn't really, but I just dropped on it rather than actually searching for it!
But on saying that, since then I haven't been taking notice how often it turns up.

there was one on discogs this week..the brown label design..was in the usa tho and i`ve found that it does crop up on this design from time to time but not so much on the multi coloured label

Social source share

• 7 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 02:49, Blackpoolsoul said:

I wonder why the silhouette of a Shiva statue (publishing) was originally on the labels and then replaced with a Buddha (which made sense)

Cliff.jpg

Buddah was started as a subsidiary of the Kama Sutra label. I believe they reused the Shiva as a reminder they were owned by Kama Sutra and then later just went with the Buddah image.

Kama.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!