Ponds Forge, Sheffield City Centre

Just like to say within the last 2 weeks i have had the honour (a rather daunting one to) to play on the same event as Pat Brady and now tonight the legendary John Vincent. I'm just a punter with the odd vinyl record, so thanks to my man Jamie and of course the Vault Of Souler Mr Etheridge.

ps we have the run of S/Source today as a bunch of regs will be deciding as we talk whos gonna sleep where at Blackpool :D

link

Good luck tonight my friend (not that you'll need it), gutted we can't make it..... :D
  • Replies 98
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just like to say within the last 2 weeks i have had the honour (a rather daunting one to) to play on the same event as Pat Brady and now tonight the legendary John Vincent. I'm just a punter with the odd vinyl record, so thanks to my man Jamie and of course the Vault Of Souler Mr Etheridge.

ps we have the run of S/Source today as a bunch of regs will be deciding as we talk whos gonna sleep where at Blackpool :D

link

Good luck tonight my friend (not that you'll need it), gutted we can't make it..... :D

link

You play the sort of stuff you played at Soulsville and you won't go far wrong Brett.

Knock 'em dead mate :P:D

Just to say I hope all our poor cousins in South Yorkshire have a fantastic night tonight.

And I really mean that. Honest.

He He :lol:

Seriously, you've got a cracking line-up tonight and I'd love to put all your Soul-Source names to faces.

Hopefully meet you all soon, have a stormer! :thumbsup:

Jamie beer.gif

Ha Ha.....Nice wind up Jamie & Rich, yes they both turned up after all.

Had a great night, first visit to the venue, Top Drawer spots from Brett & Glynn Sissons, really enjoyed it......... Will be back next month, thanks also to Mark for offering me the chance to spin some tunes in the new year.. :thumbsup:

JM

Great night!

The D.J's did make a difference last night and Bretts spot was great at times. Good idea Mark to mix it up a bit more than usual. I know it's difficult at Ponds Forge to please everyone.

Good to see the Leeds lads Jamie and Rich. Thanks for the CD Rich! Also nice to see John May again.

I felt like Cilla Black introducing all the soul-sourcers. I think lots of friendships were forged last night and it was a great atmosphere early on.

Some people also believe that the identity of Pikeys Dog was revealed but I wouldnt bank on it yet lads! :thumbsup:

Shane

Ha Ha.....Nice wind up Jamie & Rich, yes they both turned up after all.

Had a great night, first visit to the venue, Top Drawer spots from Brett & Glynn Sissons,  really enjoyed it......... Will be back next month, thanks also to Mark for offering me the chance to spin some tunes in the new year.. :thumbsup:

JM

link

Nice to finally put a face to a name John.... glad you thought night was okay.... and are planning a return...

Will sort a date out with you soon.... beer.gif

Edited by vaultofsouler

I had to 'paws for thought' then Mark.

I think the person accused may have had some 'woof justice' that's all can say.

Now the secrets out of the bag he may have to come back bigger and stronger and fool us all.

Shane

Yep, a jolly good night indeed.

Big thanks to Mark, you made Rich & I very welcome and I'm sure he'll echo my sentiments when he next switches the machine on.

What a cracking venue, just the right size.

As you said Shane, good to meet everyone.

So, Mr Dog is not Mr Chops, but infact Stan Collymore - Damn I'm confused beer.gif

Mr Boot & Mr Blade a pleasure to meet you both.

Mr Boot, please STOP bidding on everyfuckingthing on ebay - there's nothing left for us lot :lol:

John & Di May, your company was a pleasure as always, and your mate Wayne is a top fella.

Can't help thinking we'll be doing this again sometime soon........

Your Rich & Decadent West Yorkshire Cousin,

Jamie :thumbsup:

Yep, a jolly good night indeed.

Big thanks to Mark, you made Rich & I very welcome and I'm sure he'll echo my sentiments when he next switches the machine on.

What a cracking venue, just the right size.

As you said Shane, good to meet everyone.

So, Mr Dog is not Mr Chops, but infact Stan Collymore - Damn I'm confused :)

Mr Boot & Mr Blade a pleasure to meet you both.

Mr Boot, please STOP bidding on everyfuckingthing on ebay - there's nothing left for us lot  ph34r.gif

John & Di May, your company was a pleasure as always, and your mate Wayne is a top fella.

Can't help thinking we'll be doing this again sometime soon........

Your Rich & Decadent West Yorkshire Cousin,

Jamie  :)

link

I'm assuming you both slept well due to the hospitality of Brett.... and that you recovered your car with no fee payable :thumbsup:

Great to meet all the "sources" in attendance that I didn't already know.... :lol:

I'm assuming you both slept well due to the hospitality of Brett.... and that you recovered your car with no fee payable :thumbsup:

Great to meet all the "sources" in attendance that I didn't already know.... :lol:

link

We slept well indeed, after playing several thousand records back at Brett's ranch.

Managed to squeeze about 4 hours in before we were introduced to the beautiful Ruby Franklin, who used her feminine ingenuity on Rich & I, which, as a token gesture left us both feeling deceived. :)

Made our quick getaway from the car park, thanks Mark, and back up to the big city. ph34r.gif

J :)

Edited by Jamie

Looking at all the soul sources viewing this topic at the moment we're all a bunch of saturday night stay in sado's...... Casualty is on in a bit !    Oh God No....... I cry.

Wonder what's happening at Fleetwood.

link

Speak for yourself, Mr May.

I'm now going to jump into my motor car and go & collect a beautiful young lady, who is waiting on me as I'm talking to strange men in chatrooms.

And then it's back to mine for cocktails :lol:

Or is it tails of..........

Nah, leave it beer.gif

J :thumbsup:

Speak for yourself, Mr May.

I'm now going to jump into my motor car and go & collect a beautiful young lady, who is waiting on me as I'm talking to strange men in chatrooms.

And then it's back to mine for cocktails  :)

Or is it tails of..........

Nah, leave it  :lol:

J beer.gif

link

Don't they charge more if you take them home? :thumbsup:

Shane

Had a tremendous night, massive thanks to Mark E for giving me the chance to play a few out of my box,i was absolutley made up to see my two big mates from "Soulsville" turn up (Rich B and Jamie H), and well done to Shane and Mark for keeping me in the dark (Much E-mailing about their surprise visit! :thumbsup: ). Fantastic to see John and Di May, special award to Di for dancing to just about everything i played thumbsup.gif , nice to meet other soul sources like Billy the Boot,Bladefor life etc. Gotta say that Ponds Forge has one of the best "Dancer" friendly surfaces in Western Europe, pure Maple sprung Wooden floor cut from Mighty North American Trees. After my foray which included the likes of "Mitty Collier/The Symphonics/Freddie Houston/Ruby/Carl Hall/Voicemasters and few other Killer cuts, i eagerly danced to Glynn Sissons who started off with the incredible Bobby Kline, well there was no looking back,sweat ridden and close to tears we made the trip home and had a brilliant time back at "Team Franklin",and f*** the neighbours we are the "Real Deal" Soul Brothers, and proceded to totally mix up my meticulously ordered collection, big thanks to My missus who sent the Leeds boys home with a fab full English Breakfast. Have posted some pics up in my album (made it public, not certain if everyone can see them though?)

Brett :good:

Link to Photos https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p..._album&album=15

Edited by Brett

I think we should have a full & concise playlist from you Mr Franklin.

Mark, any chance you could get Glynn & John Vincents????

J

link

Can but try Jamie .... can endevour to make a few fone calls to all the guests for their lists...

Not too sure about my "last hour" though.... think I lost "my head" a bit halfway through Errol's 12-1 spot.... too many tongue.gif 's throughout the nite.... so decided to leave car packed up with the gear for collection Sat morn at some stage of the nite.... only done once before and should've learnt from that thumbsup.gif .... put that "brill idea" down to the "source'ers" there buying each other the stuff....

Must have sounded like a total wanker.gif as just "grabbed" the nearest cover with a 45 in that was pulled up in the box, as if I knew what they were at that time :) , and lobbed it on the deck.... plus, I've been told by fone on Sat afternoon by a mate, that my "selection" must have been "some of those" with the "jumps" in.... that serves me right for "trying" to untangle the "fones" and "mike" leads inbetween BUT keep standing on them which "bounced" the decks on the table :lol:wacko.gif:P

Note to self.... only have :) 's when not supposed to be the "promoter" at a nite :) .... only when a "punter"

The "packing up" (soul content) is a whole new story.... let's just say that by the time I got out the taxis were a plenty after the "soulies" and "townies" had got theirs :thumbsup:

Just had a quick scan of your photos Brett.... good job you took most of these early on with a firm hand before the beers, i.e. pre 9pm blink.gif .... explains your "dance floor" shot and the "static" tune in play that's not "blurred" wacko.gif .... noticed a "later" one from the nite was from within the bar area looking dance floor bound.... is that because this is your usual "perch" whilst decided to "boogie" or not :lol::lol:

Just curious who's "pint of orange" I had on one of them.... could be one of those where the missus thought I'd "got lost" whilst fetching hers before she departed at about 12.30ish to go :lol:

Hi Guy's Glynn's round mine this afternoon, Unfortunatly due his failing memory, he can't remember what he played, so we've got him under deep Hypnosis.. blink.gif

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, Not around the eyes, the eyes, the eyes...1, 2, 3 your under.......

Bobby Kline .... Say something nice .....MB

Arabians.... Baby, take a chance on me .... Le mans

Garland Green .... Ain't that good enough... Revue

Rhonda Davis..Can you remember...Duke

Brothers of Soul.....I'd be Gratefull... Boo

Delegates of soul..I'll come running back...uplook

Ellusions...You Didn't have to leave...lamont

Willie Kendricks...Change your ways ... RCA

Eula Cooper ...Let your love grow higher...Super Sound

Kenni Lewis...What's her name...Buddah

Marvin Gaye... This love starved heart of mine .... Tamla

Major Harris...Call me tomorrow...okeh

Dynells ..Call on me..Atco

Sam Fletcher...I'd think it over...Tollie

Majestics... I love her so much it hurts...Linda

Velours...I'm gonna change...MGM

Enchantments...I'm in love with your daughter..Faro

Calvin Williams..Lonely you'll be...Dalla

Sam Dees...I'm lonely for you...SS int

Ad Libs...New york in the dark... AGP

Herb Ward....Strange change...Argo

Chubby Checker... you just don't know....London

Think there all there now, great spot Glynn.............

JM

Edited by JohnMay04

Brett Franklin : playlist

Check Yourself - I.A.P. co (Colossus)

You'll Wake Up Wiser - Betty Lavette (Atco)

Steppin' Stone - Little Mary Staten (GME)

Fragile, Handle With Care - Sam Dees (Atlantic jamaican)

What About You - Carl Hall (Columbia demo)

Tell Me You Love Me - Bobby Hill (LoLo demo)

Don't Let Me Lose That Dream - Aretha Franklin (Atlantic UK) * request

Whoever You Are - California Rock Choir - (Cyclone)

You've Hurt Me Baby - The Voicemasters (Bamboo)

I Don't Want To Take A Chance - Wee Willie Walker (Kent UK)

One More Chance - Margie Joseph (Volt)

Hold On - Jackey Beavers ( SS7 Demo)

Ain't Gonna Run - The Royal Esquires (Prix)

No More - The Symphonics (Brunswick)

Better - Ruby Winters (Diamond demo)

If It's For Real - Porgy/Monarchs (Musicor)

If I Had Known - Freddie Houston ( Bell Acetate) * request for Di May

Can You Qualify - Ozz/Sperlings (Goldenway demo)

A Whole New Plan - Jo Ann Garrett (Chess)

Genie - Terri Bryant (Verve demo)

My Heart Needs A Break - Linda Jones (Loma)

Down and Out - George Freeman (Valiant demo)

Decieved - Ruby (Gold Token)

Git Out - Mitty Collier (Chess)

It's Everything About You - Lee Williams/Cymbals (Carnival)

From Out Of Nowhere - George Wydell (Tangerine)

Edited by Brett

John there is a link on this thread you'll have to scroll up/down,left/right 20 pics in all, think there is a slide view facility.

keep looking plenty of you, Glynn and Di out there.

Had a tremendous night, massive thanks to Mark E for giving me the chance to play a few out of my box,i was absolutley made up to see my two big mates from "Soulsville" turn up (Rich B and Jamie H), and well done to Shane and Mark for keeping me in the dark (Much E-mailing about their surprise visit! :lol: ). Fantastic to see John and Di May, special award to Di for dancing to just about everything i played blink.gif , nice to meet other soul sources like Billy the Boot,Bladefor life etc. Gotta say that Ponds Forge has one of the best "Dancer" friendly surfaces in Western Europe, pure Maple sprung Wooden floor cut from Mighty North American Trees. After my foray which included the likes of "Mitty Collier/The Symphonics/Freddie Houston/Ruby/Carl Hall/Voicemasters and few other Killer cuts, i eagerly danced to Glynn Sissons who started off with the incredible Bobby Kline, well there was no looking back,sweat ridden and close to tears we made the trip home and had a brilliant time back at "Team Franklin",and f*** the neighbours we are the "Real Deal" Soul Brothers, and proceded to totally mix up my meticulously ordered collection, big thanks to My missus  who sent the Leeds boys home with a fab full English Breakfast. Have posted some pics up in my album (made it public, not certain if everyone can see them though?)

Brett :good:

Link to Photos https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p..._album&album=15

link

Just want to echo what's already been said as I've just logged on!

Big thanks to Mark & Errol - quality venue and as Brett says, one of the best sprung dancefloors I've seen - thanks for having us, we had a blinding night!! Great to see Shane, John May and Di, great to meet other Soul Sourcers - Blade, Billy The Boot and Pikey's Dog and Brett's mate Tony.

Big Big thanks to Brett and Claire (and the lovely Ruby!) for putting me and Jamie up for the night (with full english in the morning!!) so that I could actually have a couple (!!) of pints and dump the car (ta to Mark for sorting the car park ticket too - cheers mate). All of the DJs played some blinding tunes from Baz, right up to Mark's final spot - quality all the way through without exception. Glyn started his spot with my all time fave of Bobby Kline so I was up like a shot and wasn't seated too much after that!!

Brett, great photos you've posted there mate and your spot on Mark Bicknell's Rhythm & Soul Shack on Solar Radio last night was brilliant, even though you did sound like Sean Beam :lol: - quality!!!

We'll certainly be coming back to Ponds Forge!!

Rich

Brett Franklin : playlist

After seeing your playlist Brett, even more sorry that I was late. Nice to meet you, Soulsville, Rich and Billy. Can't recall meeting John though ? :lol:

See Shane has gone with the new avatar theme. I assume he's gone for 'nutter' wink.gif

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE

Just want to echo what's already been said as I've just logged on!

Big thanks to Mark & Errol - quality venue and as Brett says, one of the best sprung dancefloors I've seen - thanks for having us, we had a blinding night!! Great to see Shane, John May and Di, great to meet other Soul Sourcers - Blade, Billy The Boot and Pikey's Dog and Brett's mate Tony.

Big Big thanks to Brett and Claire (and the lovely Ruby!) for putting me and Jamie up for the night (with full english in the morning!!) so that I could actually have a couple (!!) of pints and dump the car (ta to Mark for sorting the car park ticket too - cheers mate). All of the DJs played some blinding tunes from Baz, right up to Mark's final spot - quality all the way through without exception. Glyn started his spot with my all time fave of Bobby Kline so I was up like a shot and wasn't seated too much after that!!

Brett, great photos you've posted there mate and your spot on Mark Bicknell's Rhythm & Soul Shack on Solar Radio last night was brilliant, even though you did sound like Sean Beam  :D   - quality!!!

We'll certainly be coming back to Ponds Forge!!

Rich

link

Thanks for your comments Rich.... glad you enjoyed it, especially as you were able to have a "gargle" or two :P ....

Nice comments there Rich, I was suprised at the quality of music played throughout the night, it would be nice if you could guanentee hearing quality music at soul nights every week like that.......... Sadly not the case.

Gonna try for Wilton on Friday, hopefully see you there. :D

JM

link

Kind words John.... becoming :P ....

Might try Wilton myself.... it's been a while, maybe a year since last managed it.... :D

Nice comments there Rich, I was suprised at the quality of music played throughout the night, it would be nice if you could guanentee hearing quality music at soul nights every week like that.......... Sadly not the case.

Gonna try for Wilton on Friday, hopefully see you there. :P

JM

link

Yeah, the music was quality all the way through. May well see you at the Wilton where another Soul Sourcer is starring - cue Trevski!

Don't know if this thread is completely dead yet but as a newie to soul-source I just thought I'd get my two penth in about Ponds Forge. :D

I've been attending Ponds Forge regularly for the past few years and it just gets better every time.

Never stopped dancing to Baz's set, Brett's was playing whilst I was trying to look through the record sales, kept having to drop the records and leg it to the dance floor to chuck myself about to the storming favorites (royal esquires, linda jones).

Decided to dance to just about every record until 2pm (ooh my poor feet and legs).

Look forward to meeting some of you at Ponds Forge again. :D:D:P

Don't know if this thread is completely dead yet but as a newie to soul-source I just thought I'd get my two penth in about Ponds Forge. :D

I've been attending Ponds Forge regularly for the past few years and it just gets better every time.

Never stopped dancing to Baz's set, Brett's was playing whilst I was trying to look through the record sales, kept having to drop the records and leg it to the dance floor to chuck myself about to the storming favorites (royal esquires, linda jones).

Decided to dance to just about every record until 2pm (ooh my poor feet and legs).

Look forward to meeting some of you at Ponds Forge again. :D   :D   :P

link

Welcome aboard Mark, and a nice positive comment to start with..........

JM

Edited by JohnMay04

Thanks John, shame I we didn't meet as I've bought records from you on ebay before now. It would have been nice to have put a face to the name.

Don't know if you remember but we had a bit of an email conversation once about 'The Originals - Suspicion'!!!! :P

Look forward to meeting some of you at Ponds Forge again. :D   :D   :P

link

Stocksbridge Mark? The guy who looks about 10 years younger than he is?

Welcome aboard mate

Shane

tallish speccy geeky record dealer!

Thanks John, shame I we didn't meet as I've bought records from you on ebay before now.  It would have been nice to have put a face to the name.

Don't know if you remember but we had a bit of an email conversation once about 'The Originals - Suspicion'!!!! :P

link

Yes I remember now, great to have you aboard.........Gonna be putting some stuff on ebay during the next week or so.

JM

Source Advert