Streaming your soul?

What's the members choice to stream your soul

As the msm services catalogs get bigger, fresher and wider

such as all of numero uno's  catalog on spotify,  current kent releases on deezer etc etc

wondering what's the members take on the various streaming services available nowadays

I jump around a lot, Deezers been attracting my interest at the moment

what's the view/take/use out there?

ask keep it to legal services talk only please

Social source share

6 minutes ago, mike said:

such as all of numero uno's  catalog on spotify,  current kent releases on deezer etc etc

wondering what's the members take on the various streaming services available nowadays

I'm stuck on CD's still Mike! :huh:

I really don't get all this streaming stuff. I did have a look at Deezer on my phone the other night but don't get it.

Apologies for the crap reply - I'm sure I've set the low bar and the replies will pick up!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a free lifetime membership of Tidal (don't ask) it's OK, the search facility is a bit clunky.

If I was paying, I'd go for Spotify, better platform, seems like there's more choice than Tidal, but that maybe down to clunky search facility on Tidal

Social source share

Most of the music I play at home is now streamed mainly from Spotify .

Cannot remember the last time I played any vinyl my collection is in limbo, and I am also finding that my cds are gathering dust now.

I find it so easier to stream music, I cannot be bothered to go through the f**k about with vinyl especially,  all I do now is stream off the laptop to my Bose speaker and that's enough for me at this moment in time.  Technology rules OKEH !  

Social source share

3 minutes ago, shinehead said:

Most of the music I play at home is now streamed mainly from Spotify .

Cannot remember the last time I played any vinyl my collection is in limbo, and I am also finding that my cds are gathering dust now.

I find it so easier to stream music, I cannot be bothered to go through the f**k about with vinyl especially,  all I do now is stream off the laptop to my Bose speaker and that's enough for me at this moment in time.  Technology rules OKEH !  

I bought some decent wireless head phones to play stuff off my lap top but can't get them to work. They're just gathering dust.

Technology - defeats me every time!

:(

Social source share

3 minutes ago, shinehead said:

Bluetooth headphones Pete ? 

Yes mate. Proper bins. Charged them all synchronized with blue lights etc but just cannot get them to work without being hard wired. it's a shame cos the sound quality is great. My problem is I don't have a great deal of patience or nouse Graham.

Peer

Social source share

I have been subscribing to spotify for years and I am amazed at the fantastic 60's/70's soul music available. I use Sonos and link all my music together, including all the music I've ever bought off Amazon through their streaming facilty. I also use the android app on my phone so I can listen to it all in my car or out walking the dog. Ive never had it so good and still buy vinyl. My 19 year old daughter has finally got into proper soul music and so has started following me and sharing my playlists through spotify. Students only pay £4.99.

Kev

Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Yes mate. Proper bins. Charged them all synchronized with blue lights etc but just cannot get them to work without being hard wired. it's a shame cos the sound quality is great. My problem is I don't have a great deal of patience or nouse Graham.

Peer

Bluetooth can be a bit temperamental I would assume you managed to pair your 2 devices if so give it another try .  

Social source share

1 minute ago, shinehead said:

Bluetooth can be a bit temperamental I would assume you managed to pair your 2 devices if so give it another try .  

Yep managed that mate. I might have another go at the weekend. i just got a new lap top so worth trying again.

Cheers Graham

Peter

Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Yep managed that mate. I might have another go at the weekend. i just got a new lap top so worth trying again.

Cheers Graham

Peter

Got admit Pete Bluetooth seems to be one of the most annoying things I have come across but a bit of perseverance usually pays off .

Good luck .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Honestly never heard of Deezer until I opened this thread, but I already like the name, so thanks for that.

Subscribe to i-music rather than Spotify but rarely use it as just seem to be constantly catching up on Podcasts, Mixcloud things posted up by members on here and the superb weekly shows like Mark Merry's Soul Sermon Mix up / Mick O'Donnell's Soul Discovery & Steve G's Solar radio shows etc..and then Soundcloud / Bandcamp, not forgetting good ole you tube surfing now and then.

Love the way that phone / tablet / laptop etc sync the same music and I still think the Bluetooth invention is amazing (car / portable speakers / headphones). It's never been so easy to listen to music and hear as many new sounds as time allows, but then occasionally I do like to play a record, tape or CD or two and never fail to be amazed at how those old inventions still work, sound, feel...cost!

I do often wonder how long before it all contracts...too many services and choices?, less is more?, so diluted but then so good too if you want so much? In the end I'll use whatever is easiest to use and works well but can't help always being drawn to the iTunes side of things.:thumbsup:

Social source share

15 hours ago, Scotters said:

Honestly never heard of Deezer until I opened this thread, but I already like the name, so thanks for that.

Subscribe to i-music rather than Spotify but rarely use it as just seem to be constantly catching up on Podcasts, Mixcloud things posted up by members on here and the superb weekly shows like Mark Merry's Soul Sermon Mix up / Mick O'Donnell's Soul Discovery & Steve G's Solar radio shows etc..and then Soundcloud / Bandcamp, not forgetting good ole you tube surfing now and then.

Love the way that phone / tablet / laptop etc sync the same music and I still think the Bluetooth invention is amazing (car / portable speakers / headphones). It's never been so easy to listen to music and hear as many new sounds as time allows, but then occasionally I do like to play a record, tape or CD or two and never fail to be amazed at how those old inventions still work, sound, feel...cost!

I do often wonder how long before it all contracts...too many services and choices?, less is more?, so diluted but then so good too if you want so much? In the end I'll use whatever is easiest to use and works well but can't help always being drawn to the iTunes side of things.:thumbsup:

deezer was good as it had a 3 month free trial - maybe still avail ?

microsoft groove is yet another one, a good point for me is it integrates with your onedrive music folder

hard to keep up at times with all the various services and what they offer

though seems to be merging into the following options

free: 30 sec clips free

free: full clips with adverts

subscription: full tracks no adverts

-------------------------------------------------------

deezer and spotify both embed on here

and should display tracks/clips depending on your sub -

eg if not logged in - 30 seconds clips

logged in either full clips with or without adverts depending on your subscription

spotify link as in 

https://open.spotify.com/album/1A7X9BaDZLIzyUDx6pkhZC

deezer different album

https://www.deezer.com/album/12323286

becomes

though do note the number of tracks seems to be limited 12 rather than 24 in the first case and similar in the second ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mixcloud / Spotify for me - lots of hidden gems on Spotify and masses of material on Mixcloud - I always find something new and interesting to listen to by looking at who others are following. One click leads to another... I enjoy regular shows from Coops ("Sharing the Soul") Ady Pountain, Richard's "Rare and Well Done" , Rhythmic Freedom ("Them") for starters...Chalky's ever expanding archive is definitely worth a follow too...So much music and so little time...Peter if you do go down the Bluetooth route I would recommend a JBL mini speaker - unbelievable quality and so portable too..

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Mixcloud / Spotify for me - lots of hidden gems on Spotify and masses of material on Mixcloud - I always find something new and interesting to listen to by looking at who others are following. One click leads to another... I enjoy regular shows from Coops ("Sharing the Soul") Ady Pountain, Richard's "Rare and Well Done" , Rhythmic Freedom ("Them") for starters...Chalky's ever expanding archive is definitely worth a follow too...So much music and so little time...Peter if you do go down the Bluetooth route I would recommend a JBL mini speaker - unbelievable quality and so portable too..

Thanks Robin.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

On 10 May 2016 at 19:32, mike said:

Streaming, Spotify, ITunes,Deezer! I have my number sellotaped to the back of my mobile phone!!!!! 

Regards.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

I use GooglePlay Music (free subscription) which I have all my CDs, vinyl and old CDrs from Pete Smith and others ripped into.  I have it tagged by artist, album, soul style etc with covers and it looks great.  I then stream to Chromecast audio devices over WiFi, no Bluetooth needed.  It works brilliantly, no audio drop outs, supports high end audio and such as MP3.  It is fantastic and I can p!ay off phone, laptop, tablet wherever I am via GooglePlay. I have 47000 songs in the library with only the best master of each song and variants.

Every CD I get is immediately put into my library, uploaded to Google and put on a 200gb MicroSD card to play on an iBasso music player I carry around with two cards inserted (better than trying to stream on trains and planes).  I tend to carry around Crossover / Modern Soul as better on headphones being stereo more often and stream earlier mono NS, funk, blues, jazz and of course all the MS, soulful disco etc again.

Chromecast Audio is cheap and great and completely removes need for Bluetooth.  Anyone using Bluetooth, this is worth checking out.  We haven't looked back and all our family connect to three of the little devices around our home via phone and tablet devices as needed.

For non collection listening I use MixCloud, Solar Radio, RS shows but try to get anything new I hear and then put into my own library.  I don't like the idea of music disappearing as services change or are withdrawn so keep backup masters of everything across a load of hard drives!

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

1 hour ago, ThinkSmart said:

I use GooglePlay Music (free subscription) which I have all my CDs, vinyl and old CDrs from Pete Smith and others ripped into.  I have it tagged by artist, album, soul style etc with covers and it looks great.  I then stream to Chromecast audio devices over WiFi, no Bluetooth needed.  It works brilliantly, no audio drop outs, supports high end audio and such as MP3.  It is fantastic and I can p!ay off phone, laptop, tablet wherever I am via GooglePlay. I have 47000 songs in the library with only the best master of each song and variants.

Every CD I get is immediately put into my library, uploaded to Google and put on a 200gb MicroSD card to play on an iBasso music player I carry around with two cards inserted (better than trying to stream on trains and planes).  I tend to carry around Crossover / Modern Soul as better on headphones being stereo more often and stream earlier mono NS, funk, blues, jazz and of course all the MS, soulful disco etc again.

Chromecast Audio is cheap and great and completely removes need for Bluetooth.  Anyone using Bluetooth, this is worth checking out.  We haven't looked back and all our family connect to three of the little devices around our home via phone and tablet devices as needed.

For non collection listening I use MixCloud, Solar Radio, RS shows but try to get anything new I hear and then put into my own library.  I don't like the idea of music disappearing as services change or are withdrawn so keep backup masters of everything across a load of hard drives!

47,000 songs by my calculations if you could stay awake 24 hours a day for 98 days you could hear them all Thinksmart??????????????????????

Kirsty

Social source share

7 hours ago, ThinkSmart said:

I want to access any of my songs from any device without needing to carry them around with me.

Can you do this without storing to an sd card. Most of my songs are on one ipad but running out of space and thought about storing in the 'cloud' and then accessing them over wifi?

Would that be possible with Google play?

Social source share

9 hours ago, Gold Band said:

47,000 songs by my calculations if you could stay awake 24 hours a day for 98 days you could hear them all Thinksmart??????????????????????

Kirsty

Soul music knows no limits.  I travel continually so get lots of listening on the go.  That sounds the session to end them all!

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

4 hours ago, yargevets said:

I want to access any of my songs from any device without needing to carry them around with me.

Can you do this without storing to an sd card. Most of my songs are on one ipad but running out of space and thought about storing in the 'cloud' and then accessing them over wifi?

Would that be possible with Google play?

Yes that is how it works so long as you have a connection to access the songs.  You can also set it to Store some music locally by tagging it if you won't have any connectivity over phone or WiFi temporarily.  With GooglePlay they are accessible in or out of the house, via WiFi or phone connection, on computer browser or mobile apps.  It is free so you can have a no-risk go at it.  Only paid aspect is if you want their channels which I found turned up obvious rather than much rare NS oriented Soul.  Happy to help if you message me directly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!