Northern Soul On Johnny's Vaughan's Show On Capital

Davemac3

This morning Johnny Vaughan was banging on about NS on his radio show. He featured it in his "windows down" bit just before 9am. After a big build up with the usual factual errors (e.g. the term northern soul was introduced by Dave GRodin- never heard of him) he played SOS-Edwin Starr, Ghost in My House -R Dean Taylor and Nowhere to Run - Martha Reeves and The Vandellas - mmmm

Got me thinking, If you wanted the masses to get a feeling for Northern Soul what 3 tunes would you have played

How about

Salvadors - Stick By Me baby

Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't you Weep

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You

DM

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:D Heard him plugging this on Tuesday on the way to school/work; He was singing "Our love will grow" and saying "yeah northern soul, winders dah'n". I was grinning I'm ashamed to say! blush.gif

Hi

I saw this and thought KFC Adverts, gotta have the records featured on them, did the masses realise that this was Northern Soul that they were listening to.

However

I settled with these 3, the first because Soft Cell was so Incredibly successful with it, Gloria Jones should be recognised as the inspiration for them covering it in the first place.

Even Marilyn Manson has now covered it, so I had to Include It

Tainted Love - Gloria Jones

Too Darn Soulful - Morris Chestnut

I Worship You Baby - The Glories

If they don't rush to the dance floor, check their pulse.

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

JV also did that thing on his tv show, where a load of mods in parkas would turn up somewhere odd like your office, roll out the lino and start dancing. like mods. to soul.

someone needs to point out the northern soul is a scene in its own right, not a mod 'add-on' or sub-division. :lol:

biggrin.gif

having said that, exposure is good.....i guess.

But i don't like JV much.

Paul.

oh, nearly forgot....3 records....

certainly not ghost in my bloody house anyway.

tainted love is a decent shout - incidentally - did y'all know that gloria jones was marc bolan's missus? she is mom to zolan bolan (or whatever his name is, no disrespect intended)

emmmmm epitome of sound?

something 70s? carstairs?

and just coz it's my fave song just now - bobby reed - i'll find a way. omg WHAT a song!! (mp3 on this site if you search for it).

Paul.

Social source share

JV also did that thing on his tv show, where a load of mods in parkas would turn up somewhere odd like your office, roll out the lino and start dancing. like mods. to soul.

someone needs to point out the northern soul is a scene in its own right, not a mod 'add-on' or sub-division. ranting_1.gif

biggrin.gif

having said that, exposure is good.....i guess.

But i don't like JV much.

Paul.

oh, nearly forgot....3 records....

certainly not ghost in my bloody house anyway.

tainted love is a decent shout - incidentally - did y'all know that gloria jones was marc bolan's missus? she is mom to zolan bolan (or whatever his name is, no disrespect intended)

emmmmm epitome of sound?

something 70s? carstairs?

and just coz it's my fave song just now - bobby reed - i'll find a way. omg WHAT a song!! (mp3 on this site if you search for it).

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I seem to remember a recent thread on this site discussing JV's Northern soul Patrol with some video clips. The debate was whether he was taking the piss or a fan - I think both.

DM

Edited by davemac3
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

if that was me i would have played (Not my total fav's but songs that would get people noticed on what Northern soul is)

1. Frank Wilson - Do I Love You

2. JJ Barnes - Our Love Is In The Pocket

3. Beverly Ann - You've Got Your Mind On Other Things

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

didn't johnny vaughn do time for serving-up gear?

i don't think that he's a positive role model for new people coming onto the scene! huh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert