Cracked Up Over You

Patto

Last week got into a Soul Discusion with an old mate about the Classic Northern Anthem CRACKED UP OVER YOU.The crux of the banter was which version do you prefere LEE ROGERS, Or DANNY WHITE.My mate went for Danny White but my choice is the rawer(to my ears) Rogers version on WHEELSVILLE .

Then the questions of which got plays first and which venues and DJs.I Know the Danny White is a very early scene days tune and i remember it getting played in my youth club days.But i only remember hearing the Rogers version much later.

Any comments guys

Edited by Patto
Social source share

I have both but like you I prefer Lee Rogers on Wheelsville

I played it back in march at Denton Soul Club in my guest spot and a few people asked me who it was

I also played Bunny Sigler - Will you still love me tomorrow and some people thought it was the Len Barry version !!

and to compound the confusion I played Ray Whitley - I`ve been hurt and an argument ensued near the bar as some thought it was Guy Darrell !!!!!

but they all generated a lot of interest and I sometimes think that is the point of doing a guest spot , so thanks to Mike and Pete for letting e loose on the decks for an hour

so deffo Lee Rogers in my book :)

ps:- forgot to say, I have a spare copy on Wheelsville too

Edited by soundsOKEH
additional info
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its deffo one that splits opinions.Rogers for me by a whisker and my copy has the bonus of the storming How Are You Fixed For Love,on the flip

Were both versions played around the same time does any of the early scene Torch,Wheel,Cats crowd recall

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Lee Rogers for me although I only heard it many years after Danny White.  Took me a while to find a decent copy of the correctly spelled version instead of "Craked Up..."

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!