Baby Lloyd - something on your mind LOMA

Ljblanken

I just got this  down-tempo cheapie on ebay (Loma #2014) and noticed it is a "James Brown Production". Two questions: who is Baby Lloyd? Did James Brown produce a lot of west coast labels like this? I know he did a bunch of production work for King and Smash, but west coast?

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Lloyd Eugene Stallworth ('Baby Lloyd') was originally from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He hooked up with JB initially as his valet / driver but when lots of the Famous Flames quit in the late 50's, he became one of the replacement members of JB's backing singers. He had 3 solo 45's out (all on different labels, his 1st solo recording being for Dade / Atco) and stayed a member of the Famous Flames till 66.

I believe he's one of the backing singers on this clip ... 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

James Brown's involvement with the Loma record label extends to just three 45s, all released in 1965. That came courtesy of the legendary Bob Krasnow, who'd been closely involved with the King record label and had headed up their San Francisco operations before taking on the mantle of general manager with the newly launched Loma in 1964. Those three 45s are:

Loma 2014: Baby Lloyd - There's something on your mind Pt 1 & 2 - April 1965
(James Brown as producer on both songs)

Loma 2016: Bobby Bennett & the Dynamics - Soul jerk Pt 1 & 2 - July 1965
(James Brown as producer and writer on both songs) 

Loma 2018: Walter Foster - Waitin' / Your search is over - Aug 1965
(James Brown as producer on both songs and writer of "Waitin'"). 

A bit more info on the Baby Lloyd 45 here:

https://www.lomarecords.com/loma2014-baby-lloyd.html

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!