Orwell Two Roomer - Friday November 24th - Look Back

Big thanks to the Orwell Boys for another great night last Friday, the Northern room was a little thin on the ground regarding numbers in but downstairs was buzzing as ever, good spots from Mr Plumb, Neil Jones, Soul Sam and myself upstairs with Molly,Flanny, Sam, Mr Plumb and Mr Connor downstairs, considering there were dozens of events on last Friday the tuneage was first class at The Orwell, i'm not sure if the Northern room will become a regular feature as first planned as i would hate The Boys to compromise the already established main room, it was a joy to be invited to The Orwell with the Soul Shack room at the past couple of events and i hope it will be possible to do the upstairs Soul Shack thing real soon. Good to see Louise and Dave Taylor, Kirsty and Mick, Molly and Tracie, cheers to Mr Jones for the lift over, good night really enjoyed the company just a shame there was so much on in the North West area last Friday.

Listed below are a few selections from Friday's spot.

California Rock Choir - Whoever You Were - Cyclone DJ

The Stratoliners - What Do You Want With My Love - Federal

Pat And The Blenders - "Just Because" - Fast Eddie

Minnie Jones And The Minuettes - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar

Johnny Rodgers With The Nu Tones - Make A Change - Amon

Claude "Baby" Huey - Drifting - M.I.O.B.

Skip Jackson And The Shantons - I'm On To You Girl - Dot - Mar

Lee Williams And The Cymbols - It's Everything About You (That I Love) - Carnival

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me - Veep DJ

The Constellations - I Don't Know About You - Gemini Star

Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB

Garland Green - Ain't That Good Enough - Revue

Jimmy Burns - I Really Love You - Erica

John Bowie - You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing (Baby) - Merben

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back - Up Look

The Cashmeres - Show Stopper - Hem

Ty Karim - You Really Made It Good To Me - Senator

Steve Mancha - Friday Night - Groovesville DJ

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You - Mandingo

Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back - Alfa

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest geordiebri

Once again Lads, many thanks for a great night. As usual top tunage, by all!!

Got dragged to Burnley all nighter By Kirsty & Mick about 1am, Big mistake, I hated every minute, not my cup of tea, from now on I'll stay till the very last not of the very last record.

LONG LIVE THE ORWELL!!

Once again Lads, many thanks for a great night. As usual top tunage, by all!!

Got dragged to Burnley all nighter By Kirsty & Mick about 1am, Big mistake, I hated every minute, not my cup of tea, from now on I'll stay till the very last not of the very last record.

LONG LIVE THE ORWELL!!

Excuse me .... I think my exact words were "We're off to Burnley now". You replied "OK, then, I'll follow you". If that's being dragged whistling.gif:unsure:

Guest geordiebri

Excuse me .... I think my exact words were "We're off to Burnley now". You replied "OK, then, I'll follow you". If that's being dragged :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm easily lead ! :)

The best of it was Kirsty, that he assumed there was a modern room there, didnt think to ask :thumbsup:

I nearly died when I phoned him at 4.30 to see if he was on his way home & he announced he was at Burnley, wondering when they were going to play some modern for him :thumbsup::) .

The last time he went to a northern do, he lasted 10 minutes. I've been trying to convert him for the last 7 years, I think I'll give up!.

Edited by KirstyM

he did'nt look very well at 4.30 either Kirsty, gotta toughen up that man of yours.......I tried to lecture him about looking after himself :thumbsup:

If you think he didnt look well then, you should have seen him Saturday :thumbsup:

He wasnt doing back flips was he :)

POSTED ON BEHALF OF MOLLY WHO POSTED THE FOLLOWING TO THE 'FORTHCOMING EVENTS' FORUM........................................

Left rainy Portsmouth at 2:30pm,and got 2 miles up the road when received a txt from Flanny."Molly can you bring a few tunes up with you and do a spot for us",turned around and went back for my playbox.Arrived in rainy Wigan about 8:30pm,thinking I would be on in Mark Bicknalls Soul Shack upstairs only to find out I was in the main Orwell Room for the last 2 hours with Flanny :thumbsup: Heaven or what! So double decked with Flanny for two hours,what a privilege for me to play the type of 70's/80's & Crossover sounds that I love.I was on cloud nine :thumbsup: I had a fantastic time,many thanks to the Orwell team for the opportunity.Can't stop smiling now.....

Heres what I played-:

Universal Love - It's you girl (Glades)

Richard Caiton - I see love girl in your eyes (Caiburt)

Vivian Reed - Save your love for me (Atco)

Corey Blake - How can I go on without you (Capitol)

The Spartans - I don't need another lover (Era)

Jerry Washington - Don't waste my time (Glades)

Exportations - I want you (Vir-ro)

T.U.M.E - Love shortage (MGM Demo)

The Ultimates - Girl I've been trying to tell you (Br-roma)

Almeta Lattimore - These memories (Mainstream Demo)

Luther - Don't wanna be a fool (Cotillion)

Barbara Lynn - Trying to love two (Ichiban)

Lew Kirton - Heaven in the afternoon (Alston Demo)

Jessie James - If you want a love affair (20th Century)

Imperial Wonders - You live only once (Solid Foundation)

Darrel Banks - I'm the one who loves you (Volt)

The Temprees - My baby love (We Produce)

Art & Honey - Lets make love (Motown Demo)

Pete Warner - I just want to spend my life with you (Polydor)

The Stoppers - Come back baby (Jubilee Demo)

Anna Raye - Will you love my child (Quality Sound)

Ella Woods - I need your love (Merging)

John Gary Williams - The whole damn world is going crazy (Stax)

Many thanks again to The Orwell Team for a brilliant night.

Best

Molly

POSTED ON BEHALF OF MOLLY WHO POSTED THE FOLLOWING TO THE 'FORTHCOMING EVENTS' FORUM........................................

Left rainy Portsmouth at 2:30pm,and got 2 miles up the road when received a txt from Flanny."Molly can you bring a few tunes up with you and do a spot for us",turned around and went back for my playbox.Arrived in rainy Wigan about 8:30pm,thinking I would be on in Mark Bicknalls Soul Shack upstairs only to find out I was in the main Orwell Room for the last 2 hours with Flanny :) Heaven or what! So double decked with Flanny for two hours,what a privilege for me to play the type of 70's/80's & Crossover sounds that I love.I was on cloud nine :thumbsup: I had a fantastic time,many thanks to the Orwell team for the opportunity.Can't stop smiling now.....

Heres what I played-:

Universal Love - It's you girl (Glades)

Richard Caiton - I see love girl in your eyes (Caiburt)

Vivian Reed - Save your love for me (Atco)

Corey Blake - How can I go on without you (Capitol)

The Spartans - I don't need another lover (Era)

Jerry Washington - Don't waste my time (Glades)

Exportations - I want you (Vir-ro)

T.U.M.E - Love shortage (MGM Demo)

The Ultimates - Girl I've been trying to tell you (Br-roma)

Almeta Lattimore - These memories (Mainstream Demo)

Luther - Don't wanna be a fool (Cotillion)

Barbara Lynn - Trying to love two (Ichiban)

Lew Kirton - Heaven in the afternoon (Alston Demo)

Jessie James - If you want a love affair (20th Century)

Imperial Wonders - You live only once (Solid Foundation)

Darrel Banks - I'm the one who loves you (Volt)

The Temprees - My baby love (We Produce)

Art & Honey - Lets make love (Motown Demo)

Pete Warner - I just want to spend my life with you (Polydor)

The Stoppers - Come back baby (Jubilee Demo)

Anna Raye - Will you love my child (Quality Sound)

Ella Woods - I need your love (Merging)

John Gary Williams - The whole damn world is going crazy (Stax)

Many thanks again to The Orwell Team for a brilliant night.

Best

Molly

Was speaking to Molly sat night, he was beaming about playing here on friday and how much he enjoyed the spot :thumbsup:

POSTED ON BEHALF OF NEIL JONES WHO POSTED THE FOLLOWING TO THE 'FORTHCOMING EVENTS' FORUM........................................

I suppose this should start getting moved over into 'Lookbacks' but wanted to add to previous commens re last nights Orwell. Thoroughly enjoyed the night and, as always, quality of the music was top drawer in both rooms all night.

Great to see Molly making his debut down in the Orwell room and putting together a fabulous 2.5 hours along with Flanny - well done mate, it was a stunning couple of hours or so and some of those spins TUME, The Temprees and others sounded so good on a big system.

Upstairs in the Soul Shack a great blend of Northern and X-Over sounds was the order of the day with even a few later 70's things, that are seeing spins in some Northern rooms, thrown in throughout the evening.

My playlist - because I actually thought on to write it down - was:

THE CHIMES BEGINNING OF MY LIFE DOWN TO EARTH RECORDS

MAC DAVIES I'M JUST IN LOVE COLUMBIA

BLOODSTONE JUST WANNA GET THE FEEL OF IT MOTOWN

ROGER HATCHER SWEETEST GIRL IN THE WORLD EXCELLO d

ZZ HILL DONT MAKE PROMISES YOU CANT KEEP KENT

AL GARDNER SWEET BABY GOOGA MOOGA

JB TROY LIVE ON MUSICOR wd

FALCONS GOOD GOOD FEELING BIG WHEEL

CONSTELLATIONS I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO GEMINI STAR

DARROW FLETCHER WHAT HAVE I GOT NOW JACKLYN

THE IMPOSSIBLES ITS ALRIGHT ROULETTE wd

ROSCOE ROBINSON WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO ME WAND

CARL HENDERSON THAT GIRL RENFRO

GIGI & CHARMAINES I DONT WANT TO LOSE HIM KENT ANNIVERSARY

BILLY KENNEDY SWEET THINGS THELMA

GENE TOONES WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT SIMCO wd

JIMMY SEALS YESTERDAY OF OUR LOVE CHALLENGE wd

FOUR GENTS WONDERS OF LOVE FROS-RAY

MONTCLAIRS UNWANTED LOVE PAULA

CONTINENTAL SHOWSTOPPERS NOT TOO YOUNG SEVENTY SEVEN wd

FRANK & JAMES HOW LONG IS FOREVER W.E

STRATOLINERS WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH MY LOVE FEDERAL wd

THE TRENDS GONNA HAVE TO SHOW YOU ABC PARAMOUNT wd

CARL SPENCER COVER GIRL RUST wd

SEPTEMBER JONES I'M COMING HOME KAPP wd

Hopefully sommat for everyone in there. Next night for your diaries is December 29th. Just the one room at Xmas but a night of quality is guaranteed - so what are ya waiting for - see you there!

Neil :thumbsup:

Orwell was quiet numbers wise, but I still really enjoyed it. Heard some great tunes, danced loads and smiled even more than usual :yes:

Met lots of new people, who all seemed to know that I was Kirsty, or worse still had met me years ago (Chic are you sure you were at Lou and Sids wedding?) :D:lol:

Was great seeing Matthew and Jane again as I haven't seen either of them since we bumped into them at a farm in Cornwall a few years ago. If anyone has an address for them can you PM me with it, as I promised to send them a CD, but left on a spur of the moment "lets go to a nighter" kind of thing :lol:

Congratulations to the little man that had recently got married. Hope you're celebrations go well this weekend. I won our dance competition without even trying..... Don't forget my trophy/medal next time :)

Will definately be at the December one, have already jiggled our Christmas plans to make sure we're local. We'll be booking into a hotel this time, so things could get messy

Finally, I would like to add that Dave Lucas is a bad influence on me :lol:

Big thanks to the Orwell Boys for another great night last Friday, the Northern room was a little thin on the ground regarding numbers in but downstairs was buzzing as ever, good spots from Mr Plumb, Neil Jones, Soul Sam and myself upstairs with Molly,Flanny, Sam, Mr Plumb and Mr Connor downstairs, considering there were dozens of events on last Friday the tuneage was first class at The Orwell, i'm not sure if the Northern room will become a regular feature as first planned as i would hate The Boys to compromise the already established main room, it was a joy to be invited to The Orwell with the Soul Shack room at the past couple of events and i hope it will be possible to do the upstairs Soul Shack thing real soon. Good to see Louise and Dave Taylor, Kirsty and Mick, Molly and Tracie, cheers to Mr Jones for the lift over, good night really enjoyed the company just a shame there was so much on in the North West area last Friday.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

Thanks for kicking the thread off :)

Musically, spot on in both rooms - Massive thanks to you, Neil & Molly for three fabulous sets (all listed above)

I'll pitch in later this week when i go thru what i played in the Soul Shack room.

Sam played a blinder too! Virtually a full on all nighter set...........Stormy Wynters etc etc

Keep doing the business for us on a Sunday night mate - congratulations on reaching 6 years young on Sunday :lol:

Speak soon

Steve

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Any news on a January Orwell yet, Steve? The month's social calendar is already filling up a bit, and need to get busy with organising the car full of 'fellow travellers', booking a hotel etc...

TONE :D

Any news on a January Orwell yet, Steve? The month's social calendar is already filling up a bit, and need to get busy with organising the car full of 'fellow travellers', booking a hotel etc...

TONE :thumbsup:

Hi Tony

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner!

The January date is Friday 26th January 2007

Will publish a full list of dates for The Orwell in 2007 as soon as we've finalised them all.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Plumb

Playlist - The Orwell (The Soul Shack Room) - Nov'06

In no particular order

Z Z Hill - Make me yours - Action

Imagination - Love Diet - 20th Century

Sunlovers - My poor heart - Breakthrough

Parliaments - Heart trouble - Golden World

Herb Ward - If you got to leave me - RCA

125th St Candy Store - Silent heart - Fania

Charts - Nobody made me love you - Wand