givemesoul

• Replies 94
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

The most amazing thing is that it has 9 bids :thumbsup: Thousands of cheap quality 45s pass through ebay every day with no one buying them. For example Art Benton - Sweet Loving is on at $30 at the minute with only 1 bid! I see Carol Fran - I'm Gonna Try pass through on a regular basis for a few dollars and i'm willing people to just buy it and experience a fantastic cheapie.

I just don't understand it :yes:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I sent a "ask member a question" via ebay The question was "We know you are just Amnesia under a different name, or does 'amnesia' mean you forgot who you are! Hope you havent forgotten you are a boolegging rip-off thief!"

got this reply "You are just a sad wanker. I may or may not know the people at Amnesia but I don't explain to the likes of you." What an arsehole! boxing.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Activity with soulsurviving (last 90 days):s.gif- I have bid on 0 items from soulsurvivings.gifs.gifs.gifsoulsurviving( java script:ol

()

s.gifPositive feedback:0%s.gifMember since:27-Dec-06s.gifLocation:Leicestershire, United Kingdoms.gifRegistered on:www.ebay.co.uk

s.gifI see you are a contributor to Amnesia Records. I think this used to be called a double agent.

when i asked the question and sent his bootlegs to ebay got the above answer

strange

shades.gifshades.gif

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

You're getting nowehere with this guy. You might as well leave it to the likes of Tony who works for one of the companies involved, after all it's their artists being ripped off. Not that I don't admire what you're doing, it's just that this guy is taking no notice whatsoever and it needs to be done by someone with the law behind them.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

You're getting nowehere with this guy. You might as well leave it to the likes of Tony who works for one of the companies involved, after all it's their artists being ripped off. Not that I don't admire what you're doing, it's just that this guy is taking no notice whatsoever and it needs to be done by someone with the law behind them.

Quite true Pete. Hope someone with a bit of clout CAN shut this tosser down.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Can someone tell me what's the difference with selling this on ebay and at the various soul night up and down the country? You can pick up these re-issues from various sellers up and down the country at numerous soul nights so why get so upbeat about ebay. The guy is not trying to pass it off as an original, hands up if you haven't owned or sold a boot, if you have your hand up sorry I don't believe you. :shades::wicked:

Social source share

Can someone tell me what's the difference with selling this on ebay and at the various soul night up and down the country? You can pick up these re-issues from various sellers up and down the country at numerous soul nights so why get so upbeat about ebay. The guy is not trying to pass it off as an original, hands up if you haven't owned or sold a boot, if you have your hand up sorry I don't believe you. :shades::wicked:

There is no difference whatsoever.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

:angry:

Never seen 'em for sale, If I had I would probably have words. Must admit, when I flick thru' boxes I tend not to notice boots, just shoot past 'em, and if there are a few, walk away, as boxes heavy with boots won't have, in my experience, anthing I would want. Don't have anything against people selling 'old boots' ie stuff they bought before they new any better, like me, early Wigan etc, but these days the majority DO know better, and these days I am opposed to fake anything, be it records, watches, clothes, dvd's etc. Ifya can't afford the real thing, do without, IMHO.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Whole world of differnce, this is the source for these boots, blatant rip off, just like roberts/king and there shite 'look-a-likes' needs shutting down, people who have boots they bought in the seventys ect whole differnt thing, they are not out to take the bottom out of record collecting with there cr*p.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i have never seen the point of anyone buyin a boot , this shite about "i want to play it at home" is rubbish in my opinion , buy the cd and play it to your hearts content ...

and the fuckwits who buy issues claiming "i'm a dj not a record collector " (and i know who i'm talking about ) needs their nuts wired up to a car battery

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Whole world of differnce, this is the source for these boots, blatant rip off, just like roberts/king and there shite 'look-a-likes' needs shutting down, people who have boots they bought in the seventys ect whole differnt thing, they are not out to take the bottom out of record collecting with there cr*p.

:wicked: Quite right baz, my opinion exactly. These guys are milking the scene for all it's worth, and making a tidy profit. We all like to make money, and could do the same thing, should we choose, but some of us have integrity.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Bootlegging is bootlegging which ever era they were made, it's been big buisness since the year dot but it still don't make it right does it?, if you don't like this current batch then simply don't subscribe to them it's that simple.

Ebay won't do anything about it so that's a waste of time, so basically ignore the listings like this and keep your collecting real and authentic, seems to me this person feels he's doing nothing wrong, sending messages seems to make no difference at all and he will continue to basically do what he likes, again don't subscribe to this and perhaps in time he will run out of customers, it amazes me why anyone would want to own such things...well you can't actually call them records can you? when the tracks are mainly available on CD or a re issue format or are not that hard to locate on the original 45's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

i have never seen the point of anyone buyin a boot , this shite about "i want to play it at home" is rubbish in my opinion , buy the cd and play it to your hearts content ...

Er, it's so you can play it off vinyl, I've got f*cking hundreds of 'em and I've got them on cd as well but I never play the cd's...until the Yum Yums starts selling for £5 I'll keep my bootleg thanks very much

n.b. I estimate that I have sold over 12,000 northern soul originals in the last 9 years

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

I have reported it to ebay,don't know if it will make any difference :wicked: I have been collecting since the early 70's & still have a few early boots which I upgrade when funds are there,I also sell to buy & If I sell a boot it is stated as such.I think the big difference with this batch is that artists are still around or easily found,the tmg boots are a disgrace ,I agree that somebody with some clout needs to get this shut down,I haven't seen any of these for sale in this format only on ebay,they are not the usual white label stuff but made to deceive especially the phrase ltd re-issue which they clearly aren't ,this guy's a proper rip-off.

Social source share

All of the records I have on bootleg,pressing or reissue (or UK reissue for that matter) - I would say that I have had 90% of them as originals but had to sell the original at some time in the past. Obviously I've never had an original eddie parker (awake) or del larks but most of the rest I've had...and I still want them on vinyl. When I was 16, things like Yvonne Baker, Mel britt, The Champion, Johnny Vanelli, this stuff came out sometimes 5 or 6 titles every single week...week after week, and when you've just left school and have very little money, you do buy pressings. That's why perhaps some of us who are getting on a bit don't make so much noise about this sort of thing, we grew up with buying the new pressings for 75p then a quid apiece...I do agree that this latest batch are far removed from what was around in the 70's though...and it's also the fact that the selections are so obvious. Still, someone's buying them. I'm not.

Social source share

Amnesiarecords are back on e-bay selling mock-ups of Barbara McNair and Monitors TMG red and white demo's. Buy it now 9.99.

Surely if whoever owns Motown nowadays were interested, they would have busted them by now? Even just for the copyright on the logos for a start

Social source share

The most amazing thing is that it has 9 bids :thumbsup: Thousands of cheap quality 45s pass through ebay every day with no one buying them. For example Art Benton - Sweet Loving is on at $30 at the minute with only 1 bid! I see Carol Fran - I'm Gonna Try pass through on a regular basis for a few dollars and i'm willing people to just buy it and experience a fantastic cheapie.

I just don't understand it :unsure:

No chance of getting any of these cheap Carol Fran records though Matt cause' you keep bloody outbidding us ! :unsure:

Social source share

All of the records I have on bootleg,pressing or reissue (or UK reissue for that matter) - I would say that I have had 90% of them as originals but had to sell the original at some time in the past. Obviously I've never had an original eddie parker (awake) or del larks but most of the rest I've had...and I still want them on vinyl. When I was 16, things like Yvonne Baker, Mel britt, The Champion, Johnny Vanelli, this stuff came out sometimes 5 or 6 titles every single week...week after week, and when you've just left school and have very little money, you do buy pressings. That's why perhaps some of us who are getting on a bit don't make so much noise about this sort of thing, we grew up with buying the new pressings for 75p then a quid apiece...I do agree that this latest batch are far removed from what was around in the 70's though...and it's also the fact that the selections are so obvious. Still, someone's buying them. I'm not.

At last a common sense answer !!

Although none of us condone bootlegging of existing Artists, bootlegging/re-issues is nothing new so why the sudden browbeating & purging of the scene ? It just get's a bit of a tiresome read !

As someone said, if it is a blatent disregard of existing issue rights just tell the right people !

To me, it seems pointless sending venomous retorts & getting all upset about it on here, a lot of threads are starting to get like an episode of Grumpy Old Men !

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

At last a common sense answer !!

Although none of us condone bootlegging of existing Artists, bootlegging/re-issues is nothing new so why the sudden browbeating & purging of the scene ? It just get's a bit of a tiresome read !

As someone said, if it is a blatent disregard of existing issue rights just tell the right people !

To me, it seems pointless sending venomous retorts & getting all upset about it on here, a lot of threads are starting to get like an episode of Grumpy Old Men !

Totally agree with Bogue, and if the hang them high brigade thought for just one second, some of their arguments are flawed.

Buying a second hand record - Does nothing for the label/writer/producer/artist. The only person who profits is the seller, sound similar to actually buying a boot when you look at it from this aspect.

Reality is we should only buy what's available legally commercial available, so do we all rush out to buy the latest Grapevine release? no we put up comments like it's not the original, silly ain't it, as buying the Grapevine release might actually put a penny or two in the creative peoples pocket, or do you buy the original for £100's , which only benefits the seller. Can of worms are about to be opened. :P:boxing::wicked::boxing:

Social source share

I just read in the Guardian that it's reckoned downloading will see CDs obsolete within 5 years. Are current CDs all legit?. Thought there was some doubt about that. CDs are glorified cassettes anyway and 6T's NS is vinyl based.

I wouldn't buy a boot but have no objection to those who do. I know royalties etc argument but as Netspeaky says that also applies to the sale of originals too. Money is all in our pockets.

I blame the record labels and licensees. Take that Motown unissued stuff. If it's OK to supply certain DJ's with advance releases then why do the rest of us have to settle for a CD. I've bought the vast majority of them but I'd really like some tracks on vinyl, including that booted Monitors. Unfortunately it looks cheap and nasty.

Maybe Universal should be thinking more about their target audience and less about cheapest format to maximise profit, or better still give me the f..king job. I do have a little experience in that I found that first batch and got them heard and talked about back in the 80's.!!!

Dealing with the owners of the original material is a nightmare in my experience. I got Gino Washington to re-issue that "Rat Race". I asked him to put this good unissued instrumental he had on tape on the b-side and he didn't and then didn't send us all the copies we paid for but sent re-issues of the Tomangoes instead. I doubt if Tomangoes saw any of that money.

So let's condemn Amnesia for not taking the legit route but equally those companies that treat their audience with disdain.

ROD

Social source share

Surely if whoever owns Motown nowadays were interested, they would have busted them by now? Even just for the copyright on the logos for a start

Whatever the arguments on this, I can't understand why someone felt the need to change the Zodiac label to Xodiac.

There appears to be no attempt to change any other of the copyrighted logos.

As with any material, the Limited Edition tag is always questionable.

Unless a known quantity has been issued, and possibly numbered, from the copyright owners.

"Limited Edition" may sell more than a Standard release. "Limited Edition" - How long is a piece of string.

Unfortunately, I suspect, not everyone will know what is actually on offer here, with these records.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The thing is tho Pete, in the 70's vinyl was pretty much the only format and pressings were pretty much the only way to hearand own a record in your home that you had heard at a weekend. There was no internet and file swapping etc, the only alternative was the fairly new format at the time: cassette tape. My missus still has her precious stash of pressings from the 70's cos its part of her life. I think everyone understands why people in the 45-60 age bracket own pressings and possibly still keep them in schweppes crates.

People bootlegging records now are just ripping people off (buyers, artists, copyright owners etc) as 99% of the time the tune is available quite readily on a legitimate, licensed format. Why Universal hasn't stamped all over Amnesia records is beyond me, if they're not bothered about the Motown stable of labels perhaps they could licence them cheaply to me? :thumbsup:

If people want to spend their hard-earned on unlicensed recent bootlegs, that's up to them, I don't know why they do tho. But if I had spent time and money releasing a record such as Drizabone's Pressure (4th & broadway) quite recently and someone was just pressing them up and flogging them on ebay I'd be all over them (in a legal sense obviously).

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Maybe a reason Universal don't bother going after someone selling a couple of hundred obscure 45's, is that they have their hands full chasing the serious players in this game. What have they really lost if someone boots 500 copies of something they don't even know they've got, compare with 10's of thousands of one of the main stars on their label, I know which one I'd be chasing. It's all down to economics, if it ain't hurting their bottom line then they are not bothered. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Maybe a reason Universal don't bother going after someone selling a couple of hundred obscure 45's, is that they have their hands full chasing the serious players in this game. What have they really lost if someone boots 500 copies of something they don't even know they've got, compare with 10's of thousands of one of the main stars on their label, I know which one I'd be chasing. It's all down to economics, if it ain't hurting their bottom line then they are not bothered. :rolleyes:

Deleted comments.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Can someone tell me what's the difference with selling this on ebay and at the various soul night up and down the country? You can pick up these re-issues from various sellers up and down the country at numerous soul nights so why get so upbeat about ebay. The guy is not trying to pass it off as an original, hands up if you haven't owned or sold a boot, if you have your hand up sorry I don't believe you. :yes:thumbsup.gif

i agree, he quite clearly states that it's a re press, i also think he may have duped certain people on here hence the nastyness, JM, Anglo American all sell these type of records quite openly so whats all the fuss, just ignore it!

Social source share

A lot of the kent things only get licensed for a period of time - so after that it reverts back to the original owners. Or sommat.

Very true Pete, though there are also a lot of labels we own too. This was only a license which is still active. Fantasy who own this track are now licensing Stax through Universal so I'd be amazed if this was a legitimate release, Universal aren't likely to license one side of a low press 45. And of course we already have the 45 available on Kent with the stunning 'I Play For Keeps' on the flip for a fiver!

No doubt Fantasy will be very interested in this release.

Social source share

Very true Pete, though there are also a lot of labels we own too. This was only a license which is still active. Fantasy who own this track are now licensing Stax through Universal so I'd be amazed if this was a legitimate release, Universal aren't likely to license one side of a low press 45. And of course we already have the 45 available on Kent with the stunning 'I Play For Keeps' on the flip for a fiver!

No doubt Fantasy will be very interested in this release.

Have a look back over the threads Ady and you'll see that right from the start 99% of the people on here have been critical of the barefaced cheek of this seller, Tony was going to make a few enquiries re Millie Jackson. Was just pointing out that just because say Stateside put out Hoagy Lands in 1967, they don't necessarily own it now. Or maybe they do. But you know what I mean.

Social source share

I know, you were right. it's not the crime of the century and it's good most people don't agree with it.

As this one is out legitimately with all royalties being paid, the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on and the people who buy the boots need there bumps felt. An enterprising legitimate dealer should put the Kent 45s that are available up there and make a bit of money.

Social source share

I know, you were right. it's not the crime of the century and it's good most people don't agree with it.

As this one is out legitimately with all royalties being paid, the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on and the people who buy the boots need there bumps felt. An enterprising legitimate dealer should put the Kent 45s that are available up there and make a bit of money.

Some of us don't know how to obtain them!!!

Social source share

A lot of the kent things only get licensed for a period of time - so after that it reverts back to the original owners. Or sommat.

Ace had UK rights to Stax (Fantasy) but the deal expired when Fantasy was sold to Concord. I think Universal now have rights for Europe. Maybe Ady or Tony can confirm.

Anyway the point is that these bootleggers should get a public flogging and have all their assets siezed ...and then they should be flogged again ...and deported to Australia or somewhere.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Can we stop the moaning about boots, they've been there forever, will be there tomorrow and a day, and as I've said before, if you're argument is about royalties, how many of you have bought a second hand record since this thread has been running, I don't see you paying royalties on your purchase even though it's an original. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Can we stop the moaning about boots, they've been there forever, will be there tomorrow and a day, and as I've said before, if you're argument is about royalties, how many of you have bought a second hand record since this thread has been running, I don't see you paying royalties on your purchase even though it's an original. :thumbsup:

That argument is non existent.........the royalties have all ready been payed on that very record, this is about some crook milking the scene with his crap made up boots..........should be shut down along with all the other recent look a like booters Roberts and King..............

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Mark, be it 'The Beatles' or 'Ruby Andrews' it's the same crime, but i take your point, 'Apple' used to spend something like 8 million quid a year on litigation some of which was spent in going after bootleggers, what pisses me off is the smug attitude of these people who have no talent of their own who feel they can profit off the back of someone else and really don't give a shit for the music, artists etc. Be it 50 thousand 'Beatles' bootlegs or a 50 small soul act pressing the implications are the same, the artist gets ripped off no one else, i used to attend major 'Beatles' events with my late father all over the world and got to know many of the major 'Beatle' dealers some of which claimed to be huge fans of the fab four yet behind the scenes were major bootleggers and dealers of all the illegal stuff, i guess where there's muck there's brass springs to mind, but the only reason these people were involved was the huge amount of money which can be made from the production of bootlegs, i'm not suggesting anything other than there is right and wrong and making a copy of a pressing or bootleg record without the permission of the owner, performer etc. is wrong however you dress it up it's wrong plain and simple, trouble is whatever we say here makes little difference as it will continue to go on. Like you say if the big guns can't stop it then what chance has a small Mom and Pop company from Detroit, NONE NO CHANCE AND THIS FACT HAS BEEN EXPLOITED ON THE NORTHERN SCENE FOR YEARS AS THERE IS BASICALLY NO ONE TO COME FORWRD TO STAKE A CLAIM OR DEMAND SOME PAYBACK AS IT'S OFTEN TOO LATE...hats off to the people who do it the right way and bugger the rest.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

sorry mark, but i seem to recall you selling cassettes in echoes during the 80's, did you pay royalties on them...

Social source share

sorry mark, but i seem to recall you selling cassettes in echoes during the 80's, did you pay royalties on them...

Point taken, no excuses so i'll retract my posts on this topic, very true and very vallied point about tapes, yes i did do a few tapes way back as did many others but seriously it did'nt make it right, so i take your point, i'll delete my comments as it's the right thing to do.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert