N/s

Winnie :-)

Guest Soultown andy

Been following this thread from the beging , 60s 70 rb modern we play the lot at the soultown niters at sheridans,had 2 complaints all year about the music policy.Its all down to the djs,if they get it right its not a problem,im not saying we havent had the odd dodgy set but in general

we seem to get by playing all the syles under one roof.

Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Listen to Terry Jones play a mixed set  - the man is a master at mixing the eras together perfectly. Open the Door to your heart, segued into The Tempts - Law of the Land...ooh it was a cracker of a follow up - I came over all faint ! Four decades of soul music to choose from - by all means have your favourite era but seems silly to put your fingers in your ears and trill tra-la-la-la-la just cos the date doesnt suit......just my VFHO of course Andy darling  :thumbsup:

link

Got to agree Ali, heard the man two or three times this year and he's superb. No blinkers, just soul music.

The English can also learn a lot from the Scandanavians as well IMO. Oslo was superb, 60's, 70's, funk, rarities, soul from all eras, great stuff :thumbsup:

Social source share

Reg, my cut-off point is the same.

Owt after early/mid 80's as a rule, with only the odd one doing anything for me after that.

It was dead weird when I started going out, people were calling 'Newies' '70's Northern' and 'Cross-Over' and 'Oldies' were 'Oldies', but 'Played Out', and 'Newies' were infact underplayed 60's, and when it came to 'Modern' (which was 70's to me!) is god knows what ..... :thumbsup:

link

Bloody glad it isn't just me :thumbsup: Yep, when me and the shuffler started going to Warrington Parr Hall in the mid 80s there were "oldies" ( stuff like Hand it over) "sixies newies"(generally Stafford stuff and the like) and "Modern" which was anything from Cheryl Berdell to King Tut. Plus loads of the RnB that people are playing on the scene nowadays wasn't in sight at all niters (except maybe the 100 club) but loads of it like Roy Roberts, Wilson Picket etc was played on the the mod rallies by people like Rob Messer and Paul Hallam. What goes around...

Social source share

Reg find the Bill Spoon (former lead with the "Soul Notes" of Way Out fame) 12" "The One Who Really Loves You" 1990 release, excellent chug chug beat similar to Alfie Davison, a tremendous piece of music that true Soul fans adore.(Someone else on here will hate it, but i'm just telling you about it Reg :thumbsup: ) What about Sven Zetterberg on Buzz a bang up to the minute release albeit with a 70's feel. Really similar to what i said on another thread (that totally was misunderstood!)

It's just the sound that counts,whatever the year 1959 or 2004 also don't give a f*** about price other than as a statistic.

yours Brett

Social source share

Reg find the Bill Spoon (former lead with the "Soul Notes" of Way Out fame) 12" "The One Who Really Loves You" 1990 release, excellent chug chug beat similar to Alfie Davison, a tremendous piece of music that true Soul fans adore.(Someone else on here will hate it, but i'm just telling you about it Reg :thumbsup: ) What about Sven Zetterberg on Buzz a bang up to the minute release albeit with a 70's feel. Really similar to what i said on another thread (that totally was misunderstood!)

It's just the sound that counts,whatever the year 1959 or 2004 also don't give a f*** about price other than as a statistic.

yours Brett

link

Eh up Brett,

I know you were talking only to Reg there, but I couldn't help overhearing :thumbsup::D

The Bill Spoon is nice, though I've only heard it on a CD.

Excellent, in fact, as you say....but not sure you can use that word in the same sentence as "Alfie Davison" :D

You are bang on with the last bit as well mate...year, price, colour of artist, provenance- none matter as long its soulful, bit of a subjective thing IMHO, and somone wants to dance to it!

Gotta say I find all the "classifications" a bit confusing and pointless. I can't bring meself to call a record I danced to/bought in 76 "modern".

(As an aside, just seen on another thread what Candi Staton, NYGTUH, is worth! Could weep.... had two copies: gave one away years ago and my son took the other one, along with some more of that ilk for his mate to listen to, in Sheffield funnily enough, and now is not sure where it is! :angry:

We'll have a pint if you are going to Keele :lol:

Social source share

I personally cant bloody stand modern but i suppose you start looking for new sounds whwn you've been on the scene for a good length of time. I cant really see a link between modern and northern. They are two different types of music in my opinion and dont fit together too well.

link

Can I suggest you listen to "Fillet of Soul....Slab 2" (Sanctuary Records 2003) has 8 across the board soulful tunes,whether you are into northern or modern this mini-album sums up to me what soul music is all about:

The Swans- Nitty Gritty City

Lou Ragland - I Travel Alone

Frankie Croker- Ton Of Dynamite

The New Cymbals-I Will Always Love You

Chuck Cockerham - Have I Got The Right

Cookie Woodson - I'll Be True

Jimmy Helms - Romeo & Juliet

Leonie - Fool For Your Lovin

Open your ears :thumbsup:

Social source share

Can I suggest you listen to "Fillet of Soul....Slab 2" (Sanctuary Records 2003) has 8 across the board soulful tunes,whether you are into northern or modern this mini-album sums up to me what soul music is all about:

Open your ears ranting_1.gif

link

It's no good ranting, you can't force people to like something. My ears are wide open and half of those sound like crap to me, especially that Jimmy Helms, what is it, Biddu production or something?

Social source share

It's no good ranting, you can't force people to like something.  My ears are wide open and half of those sound like crap to me, especially that Jimmy Helms, what is it, Biddu production or something?

link

Absolutely you can't force people to like something, if you're a diehard northern fan then maybe it's just impossible for you to like anything else soulful ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Open your ears ranting_1.gif

Mine are always open...Chuck Chockerham is f***** brilliant IMHO  :thumbsup:

link

Social source share

I personally cant bloody stand modern but i suppose you start looking for new sounds whwn you've been on the scene for a good length of time. I cant really see a link between modern and northern. They are two different types of music in my opinion and dont fit together too well.

link

When you have 30 years of "new music" to go at it's easy. I'm jealous! Wish I'd only just heard the likes of Cecil Washington, Tamala Lewis, Mel Britt, Sam Williams, Melvin Davis, Inspirations, Al Kent, Steve Mancha etc etc etc.

You have quite a lot to look forward to young Master Barker!! Hope you get as much fun out of it all as I have!

PS. Tell yer dad "Hi" and Dave says he wouldn't know a decent Detroit stomper if it sat up and bit his arse!! ranting_1.gif:thumbsup::)

Regards,

Dave Moore

Social source share

That Bill Spoon track doesn't sound like it's 1990 tho does it? I do like that one :thumbsup:

link

NAILED ON THE HEAD!.... Reg "That Bill Spoon track doesn't SOUND like it's 1990 tho does it? "

The whole point to me really, it's a simple equation, music enters your ear drums then some sort of reaction happens to do with your grey matter and bingo, you either like it or you don't........ ranting_1.gif

Social source share

NAILED ON THE HEAD!.... Reg "That Bill Spoon track doesn't SOUND like it's 1990 tho does it? "

The whole point to me really, it's a simple equation, music enters your ear drums then some sort of reaction happens to do with your grey matter and bingo, you either like it or you don't........ ranting_1.gif

link

I do agree landlord but is is confusing when music's put into categories. Like young PaulB saying he doesn't like modern..yet he listens to what may be classed as modern nearly every week in my car and his foot's tapping. But he's just put off by some of the stuff he's heard in some (and don't shout I'm only saying some..) modern rooms because some (that word again) of it does sound like stuff you hear on Radio 1...sorry!

Social source share

I do agree landlord but is is confusing when music's put into categories. Like young PaulB saying he doesn't like modern..yet he listens to what may be classed as modern nearly every week in my car and his foot's tapping. But he's just put off by some of the stuff he's heard in some (and don't shout I'm only saying some..) modern rooms because some (that word again) of it does sound like stuff you hear on Radio 1...sorry!

link

Just want to put my standing on this "Modern" thing into perspective, i frequent mainly 60's type venues and occasionaly across the board, but if an event has a modern room, then i am more than happy to spend sometime there ,i collect 60's/70's soul in the main, but am more than willing to pick up other eras of soul(if the sound is right!).At Fleetwood my fav room was the "Tent", but found the Modern to Modern! (certain you get my point).

Social source share

across the board

Whats that supposed to mean? ranting_1.gif At venues I've been to the majority use it as an excuse to play played out 70's Northern, Drizabone, Angie Stone etc and not one decent crossover record or modern sound :thumbsup:

Not many venues that you can call truly across the board is there in the way that say venues such as Thorne used to be. The Orwell looks like one but not ben yet. Any others?

Social source share

Whats that supposed to mean?  ranting_1.gif   At venues I've been to the majority use it as an excuse to play played out 70's Northern, Drizabone, Angie Stone etc and not one decent crossover record or modern sound  :thumbsup:

Not many venues that you can call truly across the board is there in the way that say venues such as Thorne used to be.  The Orwell looks like one but not ben yet.  Any others?

link

Across the Board......it's just semantics Chalky, it's hard sometimes when typing to try and get your point across, suppose it means to me a venue playing soul music across a range of eras, for me "Seriously Soulful" in London sought of encapsulated this for me.

Soulsville in Leeds also seem to play a "Across The Board" selection.

Once more Chalky musical taste is very subjective, some people may like the selection of music played, others will not.

Social source share

across the board

link

Whats that supposed to mean?  :thumbsup:   At venues I've been to the majority use it as an excuse to play played out 70's Northern, Drizabone, Angie Stone etc and not one decent crossover record or modern sound  :D

Not many venues that you can call truly across the board is there in the way that say venues such as Thorne used to be.  The Orwell looks like one but not ben yet.  Any others?

link

To me Chalky, the term "accross the board" is not an "excuse to play played out 70's Northern" as you put it :D .... more a "short" way of suggesting that, musically, it's "everything what the floor wants today" and not just an oldies only fest or any other genre only fest.... more a fair sprinkling of whatever the DJ feels is right within their spot :) ....

I'm probably, in your eyes, "guilty" of using the term.... I do put a line on the flyers saying "6 soulful hours of accross the board Northern Soul".... have thought about changing it once or twice but nowt else comes to mind without "listing" everything played....

Holding the night in one room means we have to cater for all tastes, which I feel we do quite well.... we have noticed that "die hard" oldies fans have become "less blinkered" with this approach.... goes back to my days at Clifton Hall with the "one music, one room philosophy".... even after 4+ yrs we get the odd comment of "too much this, too much that" or "not enough this, not enough that" but those saying it still come back :Dwacko.gif ....

Until a "more acceptable" term comes up that encompasses the "whole scene" then I'm affraid I for one will use it.... rightly or wrongly :D ....

That is, of course, unless of course yourself or anybody else has a "term" I could use ranting_1.gif ....

Social source share

To me Chalky, the term "accross the board" is not an "excuse to play played out 70's Northern" as you put it :D .... more a "short" way of suggesting that, musically, it's "everything what the floor wants today" and not just an oldies only fest or any other genre only fest.... more a fair sprinkling of whatever the DJ feels is right within their spot :D ....

I'm probably, in your eyes, "guilty" of using the term.... I do put a line on the flyers saying "6 soulful hours of accross the board Northern Soul".... have thought about changing it once or twice but nowt else comes to mind without "listing" everything played....

Holding the night in one room means we have to cater for all tastes, which I feel we do quite well.... we have noticed that "die hard" oldies fans have become "less blinkered" with this approach.... goes back to my days at Clifton Hall with the "one music, one room philosophy".... even after 4+ yrs we get the odd comment of "too much this, too much that" or "not enough this, not enough that" but those saying it still come back :)   wacko.gif ....

Until a "more acceptable" term comes up that encompasses the "whole scene" then I'm affraid I for one will use it.... rightly or wrongly :thumbsup: ....

That is, of course, unless of course yourself or anybody else has a "term" I could use ranting_1.gif ....

link

Not having a dig Mark, just wondering why some use it and then all the play is oldies, 60's or 70's.

Many venues in the 80's featured 60's alongside current releases, Andy Whitmore for one DJed at many venues and he played truly across the board, as did Cliff Steel, Andy Tats Taylor, Rod Dearlove, many more too....hardly hear any DJ's like these nowadays or many venues with the same "across the board" policy.

One of the best articles I've read in ages is in the latest N-Soul, Brian Gouchers Thorne article, really does capture the palce and tells the story of what a true across the board venue is.

Social source share

To me Chalky, the term "accross the board" is not an "excuse to play played out 70's Northern" as you put it :D .... more a "short" way of suggesting that, musically, it's "everything what the floor wants today" and not just an oldies only fest or any other genre only fest.... more a fair sprinkling of whatever the DJ feels is right within their spot :D ....

Holding the night in one room means we have to cater for all tastes, which I feel we do quite well.... we have noticed that "die hard" oldies fans have become "less blinkered" with this approach.... goes back to my days at Clifton Hall with the "one music, one room philosophy".... even after 4+ yrs we get the odd comment of "too much this, too much that" or "not enough this, not enough that" but those saying it still come back :D   wacko.gif ....

Until a "more acceptable" term comes up that encompasses the "whole scene" then I'm affraid I for one will use it.... rightly or wrongly :D ....

link

Mark what about the term "SOUL" that should fucking play with peoples minds...... :thumbsup: get everyone under one roof, then we can have a good old fashioned brawl......... :D:)

Social source share

Just adding to what you said about Andy Whitmore Chalky, he was brilliant in NCS, have swapped tapes with the man, and he has great taste.

I still get my lists from Rod Dearlove, and his Sales tape, always many superb things (and reasonable prices too). ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Not having  a dig Mark, just wondering why some use it and then all the play is oldies, 60's or 70's.

Many venues in the 80's featured 60's alongside current releases, Andy Whitmore for one DJed at many venues and he played truly across the board, as did Cliff Steel, Andy Tats Taylor, Rod Dearlove, many more too....hardly hear any DJ's like these nowadays or many venues with the same "across the board" policy.

One of the best articles I've read in ages is in the latest N-Soul, Brian Gouchers Thorne article, really does capture the palce and tells the story of what a true across the board venue is.

link

Didn't think fo one minute you were having a dig mate :D ....

Just thought I'd "try" and explain it as I see it :) ....

Suppose it's all about how you read and interpret the term.... like you say I've noticed other local nites that have been going a while like us "adopt" the term on recent flyers.... only to be, as you rightly say, "60's and 70's oldies" only.... not knocking them as "their" nites seem to work for them....

I think that's we came up with our logo of "Vault of Soul".... to try and say summat about what we were about.... if you know what I mean. wacko.gif ...

Andy Whitmore is a "regular" at our place with his sales boxes.... I'm sure he'd give you a good idea of what "I" mean by "accross the board".... a bit of everthing which also does have the splattering of "60's 70's oldies mixed in" to cater for "all".... I'd like to think that some of the oldies played though are "not run of the mill", "forgotten" or "not heard regularly now" as discussed in another thread.... things like Lenis Guess which you mentioned....

Just thought.... instead of the ATB, how about "an eclectic mix of all things soulful that have been encapsulated by the Northern Soul scene and played/underplayed at some time therein over the passage of time" :thumbsup::D ....

Nah.... means changing the flyers from A5 to A4 ranting_1.gif ....

Social source share

Mark what about the term "SOUL" that should fucking play with peoples minds...... :thumbsup: get everyone under one roof, then we can have a good old fashioned brawl......... :)   :D

link

What :D .... you mean you want this PC environment taking in to the "dancehalls" :D ....

Food for thought there though Brett.... I mean in May it's gonna be a bit of a "Soul Source" thing with Jamie, Rich B and John May guesting.... we can have a SS "set to" ranting_1.gif:D :Fck_off_by_nulltarget: :D ....

Social source share

Andy Whitmore is a "regular" at our place with his sales boxes.... I'm sure he'd give you a good idea of what "I" mean by "accross the board".... a bit of everthing which also does have the splattering of "60's 70's oldies mixed in" to cater for "all".... I'd like to think that some of the oldies played though are "not run of the mill", "forgotten" or "not heard regularly now" as discussed in another thread....

When I was collecting seriously I used to ask Andy for any recommendations fro4m his sales now and then, was never disappointed. He is very fair too.

I will make a point of getting to Vault Of Soul sometime in the next year mate ranting_1.gif

Social source share

When I was collecting seriously I used to ask Andy for any recommendations fro4m his sales now and then, was never disappointed.  He is very fair too.

I will make a point of getting to Vault Of Soul sometime in the next year mate  ranting_1.gif

link

Andy still has some very nice tunes within his sales box.... like you say "always willing to recommend summat" :D ....

If you do get Chalkster.... don't turn up in your wagon as I'm sure Brett, Shane and myself will keep you in :D:) .... so no drive home afters :D ....

For your info, DJ's booked (by Errol this year to give me a break) are....

Jan - Rob Thomas, Feb - Dave Box, Mar - Mort, Apr - Sean Chapman, May - Soul Sourcers Jamie Rich B and John May, June - John Vincent, July - Dave Rimmer, Aug - Nige Brown, Sept - tbc, Oct - Soul Sam, Nov - tbc, Dec - Steve Mannion.... there will be scope for others on certain nites as we "sit out" now and again....

Gonna have to lay down for a bit soon as got to "prepare" for a "works bevvy" in Sheffield city centre tonite.... no doubt the usual disco stuff in all the bars along with the local dickheads kicking off after a sniff of the strong lager :D:thumbsup: ....

Worst part has to be a Saturday with no soul :D ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Chalky old boy, if you wanna bring your motor vehicle to Ponds Forge and have a glass or two, then you can always stop at my place, the old lady will even make you a full English following morning.

Brett

Social source share

Chalky old boy, if you wanna bring your motor vehicle to Ponds Forge and have a glass or two, then you can always stop at my place, the old lady will even make you a full English following morning.

Brett

link

So glad you said "make you a" and "not give a" :)ranting_1.gif .... otherwise I'd be enquiring as to what it entailed :thumbsup: ....

Social source share

So glad you said "make you a" and "not give a" :)   ranting_1.gif .... otherwise I'd be enquiring as to what it entailed :thumbsup: ....

link

Mark these days i'd rather have a full English than what you are on about :D:D

Social source share

Brett

link

Brett, I hope this is not another example of internet grooming.. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Brett

link

Cheers Brett, will take you up on that offer one day. Can't refuse a full English biggrin.gif

Social source share

It's a beat ballad Steve, not a northern dancer, and that sort of thing should be played at the end of the night.

link

Beat Ballad ?????????????

More like a show tune :yes:

Social source share

Why don't you just listen to danceable soul music. Then decide "I like this" or "I don't like this". It ain't too difficult is it.

Social source share

There is no answer to this endless debate which could go on forever because we are all individuals with different experiences of the scene and with differing tastes.

It all comes down in the end to voting with your feet.

If a venue plays stuff you do not like, don`t go back!

"Northern Soul" covers a multitude of music styles with the emphasis on dancability which is surely why we all got hooked because we could dance all night to sounds that we loved that we could not hear anywhere else.

So enough already and lets just get on with enjoying the music because our scene like us will not last forever.

Social source share

If you asked 10 diffrent people what they meant by ns you would get 10 diffrent answers,personaly i prefer the venues that mix all the styles just so happens these tend to be the best attended,so tend to think that for the majority a mixed bag seems to go down just fine.

link

Totally agree :)unsure.gif

Social source share

There is no answer to this endless debate which could go on forever because we are all individuals with different experiences of the scene and with differing tastes.

It all comes down in the end to voting with your feet.

If a venue plays stuff you do not like, don`t go back!

"Northern Soul" covers a multitude of music styles with the emphasis on dancability which is surely why we all got hooked because we could dance all night to sounds that we loved that we could not hear anywhere else.

So enough already and lets just get on with enjoying the music because our scene like us will not last forever.

link

Can you apply for PM? :)

Social source share

Can you apply for PM?  :)

link

Just to get my bit in (I know that unusual?!)

When I went to Stafford - had 'mick' taken for liking 70s + a lot of people slagged Stafford down - but I never did - now look, Stafford turned things about - in my eyes - and that's not a bad thing coz we wouldnt have heard stuff played now - that we would call 'classics' if Stafford hadn't 'gone there'! Now Im off the soap box and drying my hands!! unsure.gif

Social source share

Always makes me smile when people say they don't like modern, but then you see them dancing away to likes of Jan Jones & James Fountain.

Best laugh for me was when Dave Evison played George Benson - On Broadway

during his last hour at Wigan. All those people who hated modern absolutely loved it.

Funny old world innit?

Social source share

Yes they can co-exist in the same room for a lot of us..60s RnB/Newies/crossover/quality oldies/modern...If you you break it down into too many fractions then we can all go out to the same place and have a good time....Whats the alternative??me and my mates all attend seperate nights every weekend because they are playing some tunes we don't like....If i get 60/70 % of the tunes to my liking then i think i have had a decent night...All them out there chasing the ultimate all-niter will never be happy...

Social source share

Always makes me smile when people say they don't like modern, but then you see them dancing away to likes of Jan Jones & James Fountain.

Best laugh for me was when Dave Evison played George Benson - On Broadway

during his last hour at Wigan. All those people who hated modern absolutely loved it.

Funny old world innit?

link

Very often hear George Benson played at local (northern) events we attend, primarily his very early stuff and to be honest very few even bat an eyelid least of all myself as a lifelong GB fan. If you haven't already and you can get hold of a copy check out the Benson and Farrell LP see if you can draw any parallels with any other more popular N/S sides played at venues?

Social source share

Can you apply for PM?  :)

link

The northern soul oldies appreciation party.

I`d vote for em.

Can`t be worse than the wankers that supposedly run the country now.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert