Manship guides or Essential Northern Soul Guide

I have always had a Manship so far. Accordingly, I can only make statements in this regard.

First Volume 5 with Bootleg Guide - very exciting, then the classic: the overview of the rarest discs ever (where I'm now pining for an update) - the Million Dollars Guide and finally the current Guide Vol. 7.
I am simply fascinated by the tireless consistency and expertise with which he builds up his guides.

I also have to agree with the previous speaker, whom I hold in the highest esteem (:hatsoff2:), that the prices vary very quickly.
If you compare them with the 5 and 7 guides - there are sometimes very strong fluctuations.

But it is still worth spending 75 loops for the current guide. Very nicely edited and as a highlight (for me) the top records of the local Northern Monster DJs.

Z

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Manship Guides, hands down. The prices are now academic but give a relative indication of record scarcity and demand. Manship 5 is good to travel with as it has info on bootlegs. Manship 6 is a bit thinner, on heavier paper but nice to have at arm’s reach for quick reference. Manship 7 is a thumping great hardback tome, fully expanded to include LP’s and with an interesting set of collectors’ contributions at the end. I have only bought the one Essential Guide but it contained some records that did not feature in the Manship series. I have a full set of Manship's books and strongly recommend them for identifying records regardless of prices.

Social source share

Thanks Ste, Zanetti and Frankie. I think I'll buy both. A 3rd Edition Essential Soul Guide and an earlier secondhand Manship's. I'd love to have £75.00 to spunk on Manship's 7th Edition but I'm cheap AND I'd rather spend that amount  of cash on records. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/03/2021 at 15:19, shuggie61 said:

I'm trying to decide which one to buy. Or both? Any recommendations? 

I cant imagine any substute really , except a combined price guide incorporating the guide to boots and reissues too, That was such a smart idea, i know tge guide prices can he top heavy ,but i suppose it makes the haggling more intereting and most dealers r( not all mind) will shift in their best figure! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!