Unissued Motown

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

any chance we could have sound files of unissued motown aswell as maybe info like if any know of songs in motown archive not really been released. One for me that springs to mind is Velvelettes recording Baby Love

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

'Til You're Gone...Frank Wilson..... on on the third of Jo Wallace's motown soul satisfaction CDs....sounds like Smokey Robinson...

... as does Frank's unissued version of "I'll Try Something New", that he cut as a guide vocal for Kiki Dee to learn and to record for her (aborted) second Motown album. Unfortunately, this is the kind of unissued Motown track that we seldom get to hear, as most of those who compile CDs of unissued Motown material don't seem to value the post 1970s material as highly as they do the 'Golden Era' stuff.

That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, by the way, it's just a feeling that I personally get when I buy and listen to any new CDs of unissued Motown...

TONE

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

'Til You're Gone...Frank Wilson..... on on the third of Jo Wallace's motown soul satisfaction CDs....sounds like Smokey Robinson...

... as does Frank's unissued version of "I'll Try Something New", that he cut as a guide vocal for Kiki Dee to learn and to record for her (aborted) second Motown album. Unfortunately, this is the kind of unissued Motown track that we seldom get to hear, as most of those who compile CDs of unissued Motown material don't seem to value the post 1970s material as highly as they do the 'Golden Era' stuff.

That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, by the way, it's just a feeling that I personally get when I buy and listen to any new CDs of unissued Motown...

TONE

Now this is what confuses me...this was discussed here before:

I have TIL YOU WERE GONE on Smokey Robinson/Miracles ANTHOLOGY and swore that it was Smokey. Now I feel somewhat frustrated because I have played this song already and although thank goodness I never got asked, I am wary of playing it because Motown put it on Smokey's Anthology and now I know it's Frank Wilson. For people that don't know (and thank goodness for you guys), that's misinformation on Motown/Universal's part. :yes:

Don't mean to lose my cool shades.gif ...

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Going back to the original question, Diana Ross and the Supremes' 25TH ANNIVERSARY has plenty of unreleased gems on there.

Social source share

Now this is what confuses me...this was discussed here before:

I have TIL YOU WERE GONE on Smokey Robinson/Miracles ANTHOLOGY and swore that it was Smokey. Now I feel somewhat frustrated because I have played this song already and although thank goodness I never got asked, I am wary of playing it because Motown put it on Smokey's Anthology and now I know it's Frank Wilson. For people that don't know (and thank goodness for you guys), that's misinformation on Motown/Universal's part. :yes:

Don't mean to lose my cool shades.gif ...

I had a chat with Jo Wallace about this track a few years ago. She wanted to include the "Smokey" track on SS3 but when the vaults were checked the only tape with "'Til You were gone" was a FW demo..... so the correct info is FW not SR but I've played my vinyl cut out and more than a few people have been surprised that it is FW.... I'm sure Jo can be more helpful.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I had a chat with Jo Wallace about this track a few years ago. She wanted to include the "Smokey" track on SS3 but when the vaults were checked the only tape with "'Til You were gone" was a FW demo..... so the correct info is FW not SR but I've played my vinyl cut out and more than a few people have been surprised that it is FW.... I'm sure Jo can be more helpful.

Thank you for that info! Like I said, pardon my frustration. :yes:

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I still have quite a few unissued Motown things on mp3

as far as Im aware a lot of them have never been issued or released in any format....could be wrong as I am not a Motown expert....but sent a cd to a well known Motown collector abroad and he only knew 1 out of 20plus.......

if got time could post a list.

all the tracks were taken from actual unissued acetates.

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

how about the insrumental backing track to an unissued cut by jimmy ruffin "lonely avenue" got this on a 6 inch emidisc somewhere , cool track that i believe has not surfaced yet on a cd

Isn't it on that "From The Snakepit" bootleg CD that came and went very quickly a couple of years ago, under its real title "On The Avenue"?

TONE

Social source share

how about the insrumental backing track to an unissued cut by jimmy ruffin "lonely avenue" got this on a 6 inch emidisc somewhere , cool track that i believe has not surfaced yet on a cd

On the Avenue working title for

"In the Neighbourhood"

Jimmy Ruffin track on latest CD the Ultimate Motown Collection

and yes is on Snakepit cd recently available from the States and also one or 2 of these

tracks where added to Standing In The Shadows of Motown reissue Last Year in the States I believe

but the Snakepit also boasts a hidden gem not shown on the playlist

"Instrumental to Edwin Starrs Imortal "24 Hours to Find My Baby"

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

supremes 25th anniversey lp is good to own which i have, on cd there was other extra's like there version of Just a Little Misunderstanding which is as good as original

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thanks Martin.... :lol: When I first heard the track on the American Anthology 2 CD set of Smokey, I thought 'Blimey, Smokey must have had a really bad cold when he recorded this'....as it turned out, the info on the tin in the vaults showed that it was Frank Wilson on lead with Claudette and Bobby backing. Perhaps Smokey was going to record this track and never got round to it - who knows. Anyway, that's how I got Frank Wilson on SS3...purely by fluke biggrin.gif

Maverick, it is difficult to research the more obscure tracks for CDs, especially when you're relying on sleeve notes compiled by previous compilers and the material you need to check is on the other side of the Atlantic. Nine times out of ten, I can ask a studio assistant to pop down to the vaults in NY for me and check out the information BUT only if I'm really not convinced that the info I have isn't spot-on...On the Soul Satisfaction series, I very rarely include unreleased stuff as Paul Nixon's series 'Cellarful of....' is almost exclusively unreleased material. My CD content is 99% B sides and LP tracks ie Temptations 'Hey Girl' from the Cloud 9 LP....hope that helps :D Jo

Social source share

supremes 25th anniversey lp is good to own which i have, on cd there was other extra's like there version of Just a Little Misunderstanding which is as good as original

I know you like the 'alt versions' Paul and but...

Comparing the Supremes to the Contours version is like comparing a mini to a limousine.

But comparing The Supremes version of Shake Me Wake Me (When It's Over) to The Four Tops version is like comparing a Robin Reliant to a Rolls Royce! :lol:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Isn't it on that "From The Snakepit" bootleg CD that came and went very quickly a couple of years ago, under its real title "On The Avenue"?

TONE

If anybody wants a snakepit Cd with the great booklet, pm me as I have still have some available. :lol:
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Yes...I especially like the Coke ad...I can do away with the Disney songs. :lol::D

Thanks Martin.... :hypo: When I first heard the track on the American Anthology 2 CD set of Smokey, I thought 'Blimey, Smokey must have had a really bad cold when he recorded this'....as it turned out, the info on the tin in the vaults showed that it was Frank Wilson on lead with Claudette and Bobby backing. Perhaps Smokey was going to record this track and never got round to it - who knows. Anyway, that's how I got Frank Wilson on SS3...purely by fluke :D

Maverick, it is difficult to research the more obscure tracks for CDs, especially when you're relying on sleeve notes compiled by previous compilers and the material you need to check is on the other side of the Atlantic. Nine times out of ten, I can ask a studio assistant to pop down to the vaults in NY for me and check out the information BUT only if I'm really not convinced that the info I have isn't spot-on...On the Soul Satisfaction series, I very rarely include unreleased stuff as Paul Nixon's series 'Cellarful of....' is almost exclusively unreleased material. My CD content is 99% B sides and LP tracks ie Temptations 'Hey Girl' from the Cloud 9 LP....hope that helps :rolleyes: Jo

Thank you Jo. Like I said, please pardon my frustration. :yes:

I know you like the 'alt versions' Paul and but...

Comparing the Supremes to the Contours version is like comparing a mini to a limousine.

But comparing The Supremes version of Shake Me Wake Me (When It's Over) to The Four Tops version is like comparing a Robin Reliant to a Rolls Royce! :D

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

:lol::D I can understand that!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!