Fred hughes and al hughes question?

Dobber
Go to solution Solved by Blackpoolsoul,

8 hours ago, Dobber said:

The voices of fred hughes-i keep trying and al hughes-take it or leave it,sound very similar to me,could it be that they are the same person,or related? Maybe brothers?

lee👍

I've never heard of any connection between these 2 singers.  Al Hughes was from Detroit.  I was told that Fred was from L.A., but, I believe that he was originally from Chicago, because he was signed by Chicago's VJ Records, and his songwriter and producer, Richard Parker was also from there.

I've listened to both songs many times.  I'm convinced they are NOT the same person, and that their unique tones are not similar enough to guess that they are brothers or cousins.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I've never heard of any connection between these 2 singers.  Al Hughes was from Detroit.  I was told that Fred was from L.A., but, I believe that he was originally from Chicago, because he was signed by Chicago's VJ Records, and his songwriter and producer, Richard Parker was also from there.

Fred Hughes was born in Arkansas and later moved to California.  He and his band were seen by Richard Parker  who was by that time Vee Jay's West Coast A & R director and signed to the label.  This is from Bob Pruter's "Chicago Soul" book. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, The Yank said:

Fred Hughes was born in Arkansas and later moved to California.  He and his band were seen by Richard Parker  who was by that time Vee Jay's West Coast A & R director and signed to the label.  This is from Bob Pruter's "Chicago Soul" book. 

Thanks.  Yes, I've read before that Parker produced Hughes' VJ/Exodus sessions in L.A.  It seems though, that Parker was bouncing back and forth from L.A. to Chicago, because he was still running sessions in Chicago, too during that period (a few for VJ, and some as a free-lance producer).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• Solution
12 hours ago, The Yank said:

7 hours ago, Robbk said:

Thanks.  Yes, I've read before that Parker produced Hughes' VJ/Exodus sessions in L.A.  It seems though, that Parker was bouncing back and forth from L.A. to Chicago, because he was still running sessions in Chicago, too during that period (a few for VJ, and some as a free-lance producer).

A while ago Al posted on here (previous thread) and never mentioned recording as Fred (unless I missed something)

https://alhughesmusic.com

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!