Insuring your records

I don’t doubt you can insure you’re records - what puzzles me is how the hell you claim and what documentation you need to back it up with ?

Pictures / receipts / verification off a so called expert - who’s to say you insure you’re Don Gardner for 20k only for the flowing week someone broke in and stole you’re play box  with it in - but it was not a real one - but the person knew that when they insured the collection - as did there mate who slipped in got the box and is now splitting the small collection down and selling it off 🤔

Pay out from the insurance people and double payout through selling the records ??

It reminds me of a mate who went to Spain yeas ago came back and claimed he lost a 3k Rolex - the insurance company asked for full documentation/ where he brought it / receipts the lot - saying you brought it off a bloke in a pub is not going to be enough - hang in but that’s what we use to do a venues just buy them off a bloke in a record bar 🤔🤔

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

I don’t doubt you can insure you’re records - what puzzles me is how the hell you claim and what documentation you need to back it up with ?

Pictures / receipts / verification off a so called expert - who’s to say you insure you’re Don Gardner for 20k only for the flowing week someone broke in and stole you’re play box  with it in - but it was not a real one - but the person knew that when they insured the collection - as did there mate who slipped in got the box and is now splitting the small collection down and selling it off 🤔

Pay out from the insurance people and double payout through selling the records ??

It reminds me of a mate who went to Spain yeas ago came back and claimed he lost a 3k Rolex - the insurance company asked for full documentation/ where he brought it / receipts the lot - saying you brought it off a bloke in a pub is not going to be enough - hang in but that’s what we use to do a venues just buy them off a bloke in a record bar 🤔🤔

I agree, insuring them would be the easy part. Making a successful claim? Not so.

Social source share

23 hours ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

Insurers use the JM price guide for claims. I know this for a fact. It's no different to insuring stamps, models, enamel signs, art, pottery or a host of other weird things that people collect etc. 

Insurers require declaration of high value content items before insuring them, so if you are insured, you will have sent them this pre inception. 

There will also be an agreed sum insured for the records in the event of theft, fire, accidental damage etc.

Some will even insure your record box when going out, but not for the "value of several houses in Hull" which is where some northern boxes are right now.

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

Insurers use the JM price guide for claims. I know this for a fact. It's no different to insuring stamps, models, enamel signs, art, pottery or a host of other weird things that people collect etc. 

Insurers require declaration of high value content items before insuring them, so if you are insured, you will have sent them this pre inception. 

There will also be an agreed sum insured for the records in the event of theft, fire, accidental damage etc.

Some will even insure your record box when going out, but not for the "value of several houses in Hull" which is where some northern boxes are right now.

Steve

This. 

And that’s why I used musicguard as the insured my tunes outside my office even abroad and including any equipment I took. Just explained my DJ set up. Frequency of trips etc which is now zero actually. 

They just asked me to list items over 1k, which is no different from household cover applications. 

Never had to make a claim tho did read the contract properly and as someone who was in the game for a few years in a previous life it didn’t seem overly unusual at all. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!