New YT upload: funky northern soul acetate

Freshly uploaded to my YouTube channel - Ebony's Band "Hang loose pt1", RPL acetate.

I've not found any information online about Ebony's Band, but take it from the address of the recording studio that they were based in and around New Jersey.

The track, "Hang loose pt1" (pt2 is on the flip), is the antithesis of Archie Bell's "Tighten up", and indeed, that song's title is mentioned several times in this tune. "Tighten up" was released in 1968, so I naturally assume this track was recorded when Archie Bell was riding high on the airwaves and charts.

If anyone does have any info about Ebony's Band, do share.

For more obscure releases, my YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/lomaruss45s/videos

• Up vote 2
Social source share

33 minutes ago, imnokid said:

Perhaps there is some sort of affiliation here. Camden is very close to Philly. https://www.theebonys.com/?page_id=42

That's a very interesting thought. Listening to their early cuts, there's no vocal similarity between Ebonys lead singer, David Beasley, a baritone, and the lead vocalist on the acetate, who sounds more like a tenor. 

But... The Ebonys were doing gigs right from the off. One online source states:

As high school students, they began singing in talent shows and eventually graduated to club performances.

Source: https://popdose.com/soul-serenade-the-ebonys-youre-the-reason-why/

As a vocal quartet, The Ebonys would need backing musicians everywhere they performed. Could it be that for a period in those early days they had a regular group of musicians/friends supporting them at gigs, and that the group simply went by the name of Ebonys Band? While that seems feasible, I've no idea if it's fact!

Social source share

39 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

As a vocal quartet, The Ebonys would need backing musicians everywhere they performed. Could it be that for a period in those early days they had a regular group of musicians/friends supporting them at gigs, and that the group simply went by the name of Ebonys Band? While that seems feasible, I've no idea if it's fact!

My thought was it could have been a band that was backing them in the studio and they had an idea for a song, asked if they could cut it, and the studio just said Ebonys Band.

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Kenb said:

So...is (was) this not the Ebony Rhythm Band aka Ebony Rhythm Funk Band from Indianapolis then? There were definately lost recordings.

They were the house band at Lamp.

I doubt it, being that the pressing was in Camden NJ outside of Phiily.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, imnokid said:

I doubt it, being that the pressing was in Camden NJ outside of Phiily.

It's an acetate so manufactured in Camden NJ certainly , but the track could easily have been cut on a lathe in a studio in Indianapolis or Philly or NY or anywhere else , it would just depend on where the studio got its supply of blank acetates from ... :wink:

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

It's an acetate so manufactured in Camden NJ certainly , but the track could easily have been cut on a lathe in a studio in Indianapolis or Philly or NY or anywhere else , it would just depend on where the studio got its supply of blank acetates from ... :wink:

Mmm, I think it unlikely, unless RPL was a wholesaler of blanks. But, maybe they were. Certainly their Discogs listing makes for interesting viewing for those with curiosity...

https://www.discogs.com/label/738769-Recorded-Publications-Laboratories

Social source share

11 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Why do you think it might be them? Vocals? Arrangements? Style? Other things...?

Hi Russ, nothing as concrete as that. Just a question/option i threw in...because on hearing it, it took me straight to 'dances of the time' coming out of Indianapolis, like the Tighten-Up, the Popcorn ( "Tighten up your Popcorn" was around at the time, Big Daddy Graham trio). And the dance comps' in the area like 'Loose Booty' etc. And of course the Ebony's Band artist name on the disc in question.

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

2 hours ago, Kenb said:

Hi Russ, nothing as concrete as that. Just a question/option i threw in...because on hearing it, it took me straight to 'dances of the time' coming out of Indianapolis, like the Tighten-Up, the Popcorn ( "Tighten up your Popcorn" was around at the time, Big Daddy Graham trio). And the dance comps' in the area like 'Loose Booty' etc. And of course the Ebony's Band artist name on the disc in question.

Could be from Indianapolis, I guess, but I don't see it being the Ebony Rhythm Band. Their sound is hardcore funk, whereas the Ebony's Band cut is lighter, more boogaloo in style.

15 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

I did a bit of digging - looking to find of they did manufacture and wholesale blank acetates. The answer is no - seemingly they got theirs from Audio Devices, purveyor of those fine Audiodisc acetates that always quicken the heart when seen.

However, RPL did provide extensive mastering/editing/cutting services to broadcasters, businesses, marketing/ad agencies and anyone who either needed something recorded and cut to disc, or who had a recording on tape they wanted cut to disc. So in theory the track could have been recorded to tape anywhere in the USA and sent to RPL in Camden, New Jersey, to be cut on an acetate. That though, seems unlikely as getting something cut on an acetate could be done locally and more cheaply.

While digging, I found an excellent article about RPL featured in a 1952 edition of Audiodisc's own customer magazine. The article, the lead piece in the mag, has a pic of RPL's chief engineer cutting a record master, and behind him are packs of Audiodisc blank acetates.

Note the pdf was very slow to open, but it's worth the wait.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio-Record/Audio-Record-1952-03.pdf

• Up vote 2
Social source share

very interesting Russ, thanks. & @Woodbutcher

Remembering the (your post) article was from 1952, i just thought i'd revisit and add...

RPL moved from 1558 Pierce (a third floor affair, gone by at least 1972) to 100 State St, NJ (100 State St was a full building block), it had studio's for clients to cut small run acetates, and was still churning out tapes, in 1972.

So the likelyhood is that the acetate was done at RPL. Of course a master tape could have come (been sent) from anywhere.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!