1965: Immigrants not welcome !

Roburt

Lots of acts that we loved (via their live performances or their records) were immigrants into the UK. 

They arrived here from different countries & in different ways ....

The likes of Geno Washington, Sonny Childe (R B Greaves) & more were over here in the US military ...

P P Arnold, Jimmy Thomas, Rosetta Hightower & more jumped ship from American acts touring here & stayed. Jimmy Ruffin, Edwin Starr, Sheila Ferguson, the guys in the Fantastics & Drifters + the gals in the Flirtations liked the UK better than the US and so settled here. 

Jimmy James, Jimmy Cliff, Errol Dixon & more had started his music career in the Caribbean & relocated here to develop it further. Sharon Tandy had a similar route to the UK. Starting her singing / recording career in South Africa, she relocated to the UK to take her career to a higher level.  

Later entrants to the UK music scene were the children of Caribbean or African immigrants who entered the UK music biz here when they grew up. 

Are there any decent books that document the path any of the above took to find success in the UK music biz ? 

I'm listening to the audiobook 'Musical Truth' by Jeffrey Boakye at present. I also seem to recall buying a book on this subject a few years back (but still haven't gotten around to reading it).

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

I can't help you with reading suggestions I'm afraid, but this is a very interesting subject, and the open Letter from Motown, I'd never seen that before, and of course they were a major player, so thats a normal industry level realease. Published here and there I assume? you dont mention the source?

Had to chuckle, I'm sure most of you who read this did as well, so we sent the Hollies, Searchers, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Dave Clark Five the other way... yep, you can have them...

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Good Post

I started to watch the big acts of the day in early 1964 there was various tours over the next 3 years or so usually at the local ABC cinemas, there might be 5 or 6 acts on usually 4 British and maybe 2 American acts , Even at the age of 13 I was aware that the American acts were better has a rule than most of ours , there were exceptions of course but not many, eg Charlie and Inez fox second from bottom on bill the acts that followed couldn’t really follow them and they were a n thing at the time , anther what comes to mind was Gene Pitney, everybody that followed him was on a loser, the class of the American artists shone through every time, 

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Had to chuckle, I'm sure most of you who read this did as well, so we sent the Hollies, Searchers, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Dave Clark Five the other way... yep, you can have them...

Yes the U.S. got some dross there, but I saw a documentary on the Dave Clark Five and was surprised to find they were hugh over there with 17 Billboard top 40 hits and a Billboard #1.

No mean feat.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

I can't help you with reading suggestions I'm afraid, but this is a very interesting subject, and the open Letter from Motown, I'd never seen that before, and of course they were a major player, so thats a normal industry level realease. Published here and there I assume? you dont mention the source?

The letter was sent by Motown to the top US music mags & I copied it from an edition of RECORD WORLD as they published it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Yes the U.S. got some dross there, but I saw a documentary on the Dave Clark Five and was surprised to find they were hugh over there with 17 Billboard top 40 hits and a Billboard #1.

No mean feat.

Yes Dave Clarke Five were absolutely massive in America on par with the Beatles, they had a  bigger sound using the sax more and a bigger bass line which the American audience seemed to love and of Course Mike Smith on  Vocals was a strong presence

ML

Social source share

6 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

Yes Dave Clarke Five were absolutely massive in America on par with the Beatles, they had a  bigger sound using the sax more and a bigger bass line which the American audience seemed to love and of Course Mike Smith on  Vocals was a strong presence

ML

Slightly off the music , but did see a documentary on Dave Clarke all about his successful career and his property portfolio in the states , a very popular guy following his musical achievements worth a watch .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!