Go to solution Solved by Zanetti,

• Replies 11
  • Views 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• Solution

23 hours ago, Nitram said:

Is this a DC label or a CHICAGO label, any advise please TIA.

14 hours ago, Chalky said:

I only assume as Freddie Perren is well known for his work with DC artists/acts

D.C. - That is correct!
In the 60s he cooperated with various DC combos!
(Chancellors)

Social source share

Someone ( @Chalky ?) posted a comment today in the Discogs entry of Sonny Parker. Suggesting this might be a 1973 release based on the fact that the b-side "What can I do" was copyright registered in 1973, whereas the a-side was registered in 1965.

In my opinion, it's rather unlikely this was released in 1973. It would have sounded very outdated by then. The commercial success would have been zilch.

My theory, both sides were recorded and released in the 60s. And that the b-side wasn't registered before 1973 for whatever reason. Any thoughts on that?

There are some stamped matrix details in the run-out but they don't indicate neither the pressing plant nor the release date.

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Benji said:

Someone ( @Chalky ?) posted a comment today in the Discogs entry of Sonny Parker. Suggesting this might be a 1973 release based on the fact that the b-side "What can I do" was copyright registered in 1973, whereas the a-side was registered in 1965.

In my opinion, it's rather unlikely this was released in 1973. It would have sounded very outdated by then. The commercial success would have been zilch.

My theory, both sides were recorded and released in the 60s. And that the b-side wasn't registered before 1973 for whatever reason. Any thoughts on that?

There are some stamped matrix details in the run-out but they don't indicate neither the pressing plant nor the release date.

Chalky's quote on Discogs dates from today but was borrowed from Jukeboy George's quote on 45cat.com from 4th October 2021. Like you with due caution I would also guess it's a sixties record. But since I quickly fell out of "love struck" at first ear with the record I likely I never felt the need to dig into it much further...

Am I confusing it with something else now since I seem to remember that there was also an instrumental version hiding on the flip of another "Northern Soul" record sharing the backing track of 'what can I do (without you)' ? That also suffers from an out of phase band and cheesy out of tune singing. Both sides 🫥

Capturedcran2024-03-1422_58_53.thumb.png.6f42e8c39156b270e7457b6aebbb8972.png

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Please no down talking of "What can I do". This is one of my alltime favourites 😉

According to Wikipedia Freddie Perren moved to the west coast in 1968. So if Sonny Parker was an east coast production it was before that year.

For the time being I stick to my theory, mid 60s recordings/release.

For what it's worth I find "Mr romance" awful. I've been seeing this on playlists plenty of times and each time I ask myself why.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Benji said:

Please no down talking of "What can I do". This is one of my alltime favourites 😉

According to Wikipedia Freddie Perren moved to the west coast in 1968. So if Sonny Parker was an east coast production it was before that year.

For what it's worth I find "Mr romance" awful. I've been seeing this on playlists plenty of times and each time I ask myself why.

Respect to you on that one ! Agree 'Mr Romance' is plain 'odd bad'. And 'what can I do' to each its own. While I was still playing 'what can I do' home and considering before parting with my copy although I really liked the tune composition and it's 'fill in the room' feel, Sonny's singing (dying goat) losing it constantly just got the best of me. There's something about the 'mindless' nonchalant singing and playing that I can't stand. While I love the controlled of "forced" some nonchalant singing and playing that I find even rather irresistible.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Benji said:

1967 is the date of release apparently.  Mr Romance copyrighted in 1965, the flip copyrighted in 1973 apparently.  I do agree it is a 60s release and the flip simply not copyrighted until later.

Mr Romance has been on playlist since the mid 80s, not a recent play.

notes from 45cat...

Track A Copyright as Mister Romance w m & (c) Joseph B. Wheeler 20OCT65 EU908579
Track B Copyright as What Can I Do (Without You)? w m & (c) Charles "Sonny" Parker 12FEB73 EU385629 (Parker copyrighted two additional Titles on 12FEB73)
Track B is not in the BMI.com catalog for Joseph Bernard Wheeler, so the label credit appears to be a typo/mistake.
Den Music was associated with D.C.'s Lillian Claiborne

Although Freddie Perren is best known for his 1970s & 1980s work, he had a couple of mid-1960s Arranger credits with other D.C. groups including Cashmeres [Washington DC] + The Chancellors [Washington DC]

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert