John Manship auction fees.

Go to solution Solved by Bo Diddley,

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know what's added to the final winning bid these days ?

I've scoured his site from top to tail with no hint of a commision percentage anywhere.

I can't believe that your winning bid is the price you pay plus postage.

I've e-mailed John the question but have had no response as yet.

Trying to judge your upper limit bidding-wise is a pain when you don't know how much extra you're going to get stung for after the auction's done.

A search on here throws up a figure of 20% being bandied about but that was years back.

Edited by Woodbutcher
Social source share

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Whenever I've been successful on John's auction, I paid the winning bid plus postage. With those Omega auctions that run occasionally, you end up paying an additional 28.8% (ish!!). In that situation, if you will go as high as say £500, your highest bid would be £388 (£500 divided by 1.28). Equally, if you win an item for £500, you'll pay £644 (£500 multiplied by 1.28).

Hope that helps.

KB

Edited by Bo Diddley
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

Whenever I've been successful on John's auction, I paid the winning bid plus postage. With those Omega auctions that run occasionally, you end up paying an additional 28.8% (ish!!). In that situation, if you will go as high as say £500, your highest bid would be £388 (£500 divided by 1.28). Equally, if you win an item for £500, you'll pay £644 (£500 multiplied by 1.28).

Hope that helps.

KB

So in that case he must get his commision solely from the vendor , that's very good of him from the buyers point of view ... :thumbup:

I'll give him a ring in the morning just make sure and report back for future reference to others.

Thanks for the reply ... :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

Hope that helps.

KB

That's right you only pay postage/packing on top of your winning bid price.

For one 7" single that will be £12.95 special delivery at the moment, probably be a bit more if your bid runs into thousands! 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

I’ve sold stuff in the past on his auction,the buyer pays what the winning bid is plus post,the seller(me) gets the winning bid less fees(I’m sure is 20%) however in most cases you will achieve higher than you thought, so the fees get soaked up!

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Do you not pay VAT on the the 20% commission you are charged as a seller.  So if you sell a record for £1000 you get £760.

Mike, I've only ever dealt with Anglo American and if something was sold for £1000 you would get £850.

Social source share

I auctioned two pretty rare 45's with John last year, I wanted to put minimums on them, as I wanted a certain amount for them, he said not to, and I took his advise. They came in under what I wanted, and after the 20% I did feel I'd lost out, sure they made allot more than I paid for them, but I have to say I was pretty disappointed.

So, think before you comit, you can put them up for auction via here, FB etc and not incur any fees, remembering 20% that might be your difference in bids on something worth a grand. He gets some silly prices, but only for certain things, so if its something like Jesse Davies on Joboth, your quids in, a more common 45, I'd do it yourself.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Mal C said:

I auctioned two pretty rare 45's with John last year, I wanted to put minimums on them, as I wanted a certain amount for them, he said not to, and I took his advise. They came in under what I wanted, and after the 20% I did feel I'd lost out, sure they made allot more than I paid for them, but I have to say I was pretty disappointed.

So, think before you comit, you can put them up for auction via here, FB etc and not incur any fees, remembering 20% that might be your difference in bids on something worth a grand. He gets some silly prices, but only for certain things, so if its something like Jesse Davies on Joboth, your quids in, a more common 45, I'd do it yourself.

I was asking the question regarding bidding not selling but thanks anyway ... :)

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

I was asking the question regarding bidding not selling but thanks anyway ... :)

As a seller via a third party aucton, such as John's,  I for one would not be happy to cover postage for the winner, having already given up 20%, it just does not add up on most records that are bought and sold. As for bidding, mugs game mate, stick with the set sales...

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Mal C said:

As a seller via a third party aucton, such as John's,  I for one would not be happy to cover postage for the winner, having already given up 20%, it just does not add up on most records that are bought and sold. As for bidding, mugs game mate, stick with the set sales...

I've always been perfectly happy with auctions Mal , I know how much I'm prepared to pay for an item and if someone's prepared to pay more so be it ... :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

You pay the final auction price + postage.

A lot of the records gthat JM sells are not his they are sent to him by collectors and dealers for him to sell. They do this because JM almost always gets a huge premium over 'normal' prices but he guarantees that all records are original and most are in fab condition. The seller pays the fees which from memory are 20% of the final price.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Okehdownsouth said:

You pay the final auction price + postage.

A lot of the records gthat JM sells are not his they are sent to him by collectors and dealers for him to sell. They do this because JM almost always gets a huge premium over 'normal' prices but he guarantees that all records are original and most are in fab condition. The seller pays the fees which from memory are 20% of the final price.

Solved and sorted two days ago thanks anyway ... :thumbsup:

And for the record , I had a figure I was prepared to pay for the very long time want that was in the auction , and it turns out it was a figure that nobody else was willing to top.

So said item is now winging its way to me and a very happy chappy I am too ... :thumbup:

Social source share

• The topic was locked