Charly Records goes NS again

Charly Records was mentioned quite often in the "end is nigh" thread but didn't want to hijack that thread.

I noticed that out of the blue Charly Records (weren't they bankrupt?) rose again and are releasing many 7" and LP's aiming for the Northern Soul market. Many of the 7" seem to feature alternative takes or unreleased tracks. Some of these alternative versions seem to be tailormade productions (Ian Levine again?). And then there's that "Levanna" comp which causes quite some stir.

Does anybody know the story behind this flood of releases? Who's behind them?

Social source share

So reading this I jumped on the Charley Records website to find its still under construction, and in the shop there's quite a bit of pre order stuff. Mostly rehashes of oder output.

There's nothing really telling in the about us section  either.

Reading some of the release notes I would infer that the stuff they are releasing is not "new finds" in the wild, but someones been rooting through the Charley archives and digging out things that may have been overlooked in the past.

FWIW, having had a Lee Bates for years, when I listened to the unissued female? version, it sounded like someone had been tweaking Lees vocals a bit to get a slightly different tone.

Don't shoot just my opinion!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Oh, I found it...Alias Ducie... deffo a different vocal, but that dont sound right to me, it's dreadful... Alias Ducie, what kind of made up name is that?  sombody must be having a laugh here...

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Oh, I found it...Alias Ducie... deffo a different vocal, but that dont sound right to me, it's dreadful... Alias Ducie, what kind of made up name is that?  sombody must be having a laugh here...

It is dreadful.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Alias Ducie did have one release on Instant.

Social source share

Think it was put out initially by the secret Stash M-Pac Lp's, probably an acetate play before that, looks like Charly might have either sub licenced it from them, or who ever has the tapes now, I think that all went south at Secret Stash didnt it, I cant remember the story behind it...

That was it, was on The One-Derful! Collection Vol. 3 - M-Pac Records

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Think it was put out initially by the secret Stash M-Pac Lp's, probably an acetate play before that, looks like Charly might have either sub licenced it from them, or who ever has the tapes now, I think that all went south at Secret Stash didnt it, I cant remember the story behind it...

Thanks Mal, I totally missed that. I've just ordered a copy, the flips not to shabby either.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Heard ted play a 'mountain of soul' at Keele, not sure if it's the same 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!