R.e. Acrobatics N All

wendy

Guest Leigh J

Who was the first person that went down and done the floor work? Which venue did it first happen and what year? I've always wondered how far back it went.

link

I Dont Know The Whole Story But A Lot Of The Live American Soul Acts That Played In The Clubs In The Late 60's Used To Do Some Of The Moves As Their Stage Routine,Alvin Cash Was apparently One of The Best,I suppose People Just Copied.

Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Good question.

Whoever answers that might also be able to supply a bit of background info on those nutters at Wigan (& Torch?) who danced with 1 leather glove on. What was that all about.....black power?

link

Yes - I was told that its was in homage to John Carlos and Tommy Smith 1968 Medal ceremony gesture.

Social source share

I Dont Know The Whole Story But A Lot Of The  Live American Soul Acts That Played In The Clubs In The Late 60's Used To Do Some Of The Moves As Their  Stage Routine,Alvin Cash Was apparently One of The Best,I suppose People Just Copied.

link

That sounds about right - but can anyone come up with names and clubs? I love this, its the essence of Northern soul culture to me. :thumbsup:

Social source share

first night i went to the Torch loads of guys doing back drops spins etc,not much on the floor stuff though,couple of years later at Whitchurch a guy called Nero started to do back summersaults on the floor all over the place,magic.

There always seemed to be" floor workers" at Wigan though,

My "dancing"history............Fallen over everywhere,best place to guarantte a fall 100 club,either fall or hit the pillar :thumbsup:

Everyone raves about Booper as the best spinner,but three guys from the Cats Andy,Eggy and? used to wear a homepride shirt! now they were the buissiness,

also from Cheltenham Terry Slender,and from Gloucester Pete Chapman, Paul Jeffries from Stroud was known all over for his dancing ability.

Oh those memories  Steve :thumbsup:

link

Hi Steve,

Tried PM you but not sure its worked could you email me

slyguy45@blueyonder.co.uk

Social source share

Yes - I was told that its was in homage to John Carlos and Tommy Smith 1968 Medal ceremony gesture.

link

I know Wigan tends to get the blame for a lot that is bad about the scene, but I think you will find that the black glove thing goes back to the Wheel days. Dave Godin refers to it in one of his visit reports.

Social source share

When I first got into the scene I used to go to the Fleet in Peterborough.

Back then there were some excellent movers, some at footwork, some at tricks and a tiny minority at both. They were the ones I aspired to.

When I was young enough to try a few tricks I seem to remember a proper backdrop involved practically touching your shoulder blades on the floor.

Nowadays most old codgers end up in an upright sitting position? I don't know what they think they're doing but it's not a back drop. No wonder people get fed up with acrobatics.

Personally I love to see someone who can carry off both.

Edited by vinnie
Social source share

Back then there were some excellent movers, some at footwork, some at tricks and a tiny minority at both. They were the ones I aspired to.

When I was young enough to try a few tricks I seem to remember a proper backdrop involved practically touching your shoulder blades on the floor.

Nowadays most old codgers end up in an upright sitting position? I don't know what they think they're doing but it's not a back drop. No wonder people get fed up with acrobatics.

link

Vinnie thats a true back drop when the shoulder blades on the floor I do a few Venue though the year I've never see anyone do back drops I must be going to different Venue then u,Billy

Social source share

Nowadays most old codgers end up in an upright sitting position? I don't know what they think they're doing but it's not a back drop.

link

what? damn, curses. having spent far too much time watching the This England footage I was under the impression back drops were properly executed in an almost sitting position with the instep of each foot practically touching the floor. arrgh. back to the drawing board then.....

r.e. the one leather glove i thought it originated in the twisted wheel, the floor was cement so it was the only way the boys could get a one handed handstand spin going on.....or maybe the torch. i get confused with all these old venues

Social source share

ps Billy - I've taken to walking round with my eyes closed - a few more months and i'll be ready for the advanced spin tuition class :wicked:

link

Hi Wendy try walking in a straight line not walking around,that picture in the top left hand corner reminds me so much of you I do smile everytime it comes on I hope you don't think I'am sad especially on a Monday,Tues,Wed,Thurs,Fri,sat.sun.

Billy wicked.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

link

Vinnie, I remember when I first met you at that Post Hotel - forgot its name now! Bedford way? Randy introduced us, I was quite impressed with your dancing!

Social source share

Vinnie, I remember when I first met you at that Post Hotel - forgot its name now! Bedford way? Randy introduced us, I was quite impressed with your dancing!

link

Sorry should be Posh! Its Monday, can never spell on a Monday!! (or any other day for that matter!)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert