Tommy Andre - One More Try

Boogaloo

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Looking for this Tommy Andre - One More Try on Broadway. Mispressed demo please.

Warren

Warren

I've got a copy of the mispress call me, 01664 464526

John

Social source share

Guest Jean-Marc

Is this the same track, its Don Gardner.

Don Gardner ??

Did it get an official release (apart from this 'mispressed' one) ? Same title ? Label ?

Social source share

https://the.soulclub.org/cgi-bin/alpha?s=T

Tommy_Andre_-_One_More_Try.ram

Is this the same track, its Don Gardner great Tune

It was as far as I know covered-up as Don Gardner and at some point distributed as a RealAudio file credited to Don Gardner. It does sound a bit like Don Gardner, but do you have any facts that back up that it's him? Was it properly issued as by Don Gardner on any label?

Love this tune. :lol:

Social source share

I've seen (and lost) it.. superb record!

Ended on ebay at 310$, someone knows if it's a good price?

It's quite rare, in-demand and a good tune so £150 is reasonable. Used to be £10-£25 a couple of years ago, but back then few people seemed to know that there were two issues of this 45 in existance - one mispressed and one correctly pressed with Tommy Andre on it - and usually sold it as the "proper" Tommy Andre "One More Try" cut which is a solid £10-£15 piece.

Social source share

So are they two different records all together or just different versions it sounds like its called Hold Back The Tears.

As for the Don thing, I collect his records going back to 1953 and I am sure I would spot him in a snow storm but nothing on paper.

Edited by Prophonics 2026
Social source share

So are they two different records all together or just different versions it sounds like its called Hold Back The Tears.

As for the Don thing, I collect his records going back to 1953 and I am sure I would spot him in a snow storm but nothing on paper.

There is a "correct" tune by Tommy Andre called "One More Try". The "Hold Back The Tears" track is included on some of the WDJ copies of Tommy Andre's "One More Try". Both 45s has got the same instrumental tune on the b-side.

Check the following out where we discussed this 45 at length:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47065

It might very well be Don Gardner, and it does sound like him, but I'm not taking it for granted.

I've checked out the following 50s/60s releases, but neither of them is the "mispressed Tommy Andre" tune:

Ward Singers - Hold Back The Tears - Savoy 4071 (1956)

Delacardos - Hold Back The Tears - United Artists 310 (1961)

Shockettes - Hold Back The Tears - Symbol 914 (1961)

Little Milton - Can't Hold Back The Tears - Checker 1105 (1965)

I first thought that it could be the Shockettes tune, as it was released on Symbol which was affiliated with Broadway, but it isn't. :D

Social source share

Thanks for that link Sebastian.

I wonder if its a pressing plant cock up.

Somebody should (like Manifesto) interview Mr Gardner he has a wealth of information to share.

He told me years ago that he had built True Glow Town studios, it was wood and burnt down and that he had played the drums on My Baby like to Boogaloo, great facts.

Edited by Prophonics 2026
Social source share

Just let Warren have my copy.

It seems the wrong masters were sent to Nashville pressing plant. totally diff. song to the east coast press.

Artist is a matter for discussion.. someone with great voice that's for sure.

Social source share

I was the second bidder on Ebay, just got pipped :(

Now that Warren got his copy, if anyone has another clean copy for around $300 pls get in touch.

Cheers,

James

Social source share

Source Advert