Promoters, Whats Going On ?

Guest Timothy

I see your point re. M&T and it's NOT been booted. So it must be the original guys who are to blame for that then!! It's bland pop and Im amazed that Mick's lapse gave an excuse for others to spin it. I wondered why I kept seeing it on Ebay as Northern Soul. It was everything we didn't like about the way Motown was going when I got into Northern.

ROD

Classic motown record.

Social source share

• Replies 175
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andrew bin

PEOPLE play boots cause they are wanna be's it goes like this oooh I want to be famous cause i have a small willy.how can I do this? I know I'll buy a load of bootlegs,start my own handbag nite then I can be a famous NORMAN SOUL DJ and if I get my pals in the area to start their own hanbag nights we can all dj at one anothers nights and look really important. if people want soul nights run by people with integrity well they can jolly well F**K OFF to another proper do,besides I really just want their cash as well as looking famous,Idon't even like the F**FING music and will be gone soon enough :(

what the fcuk has having a small dick got to do with playing boots, are you on drugs

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

what the fcuk has having a small dick got to do with playing boots, are you on drugs

never heard of small willy syndrome......thats why blokes with small willies have fat off big cars to try and pull the birds and look cool...so in this case cause tunes cost so much.....they buy bootlegs

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The very fact that a record has been repressed or bootlegged implies to me that it falls into the 'played out' category of sounds. No dj could seriously complain that his thunder had been stolen because someone had already spun a boot before he had his chance to play his expensive, original, played out oldie. Having said that I'll dance to anything.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

never heard of small willy syndrome......thats why blokes with small willies have fat off big cars to try and pull the birds and look cool...so in this case cause tunes cost so much.....they buy bootlegs

??? lost me sorry :lol: blokes with small willies can afford big flash cars but can't afford records, does having a expensive collection make you more attractive the opposite sex is that reason why i see a lot of dj's fighting the ladies off :):lol::lol: priceless

thanks you've cheered me right up :(

small willy syndrome, did he win the derby in 82

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Classic motown record

Very well-known Motown 45 I grant you but Classic I think not.

1969 and listening to Velvettes,Earl Van Dyke, Elgins,Contours,,Edwin Starr,Shorty Long,Kim Weston, etc at local soul do at the Moon in Duckinfield, never heard that. Local pub same time it was on the jukebox.

Can't remember ever hearing it at the Torch, Mecca, Wigan or Stafford. I guess cos it wasn't considered to have the right ingredients, and I wasn't the only person with that opinion obviously, hence it's lack of exposure up till now.

Had Mick been drinking?

ROD

Social source share

Classic motown record

Very well-known Motown 45 I grant you but Classic I think not.

1969 and listening to Velvettes,Earl Van Dyke, Elgins,Contours,,Edwin Starr,Shorty Long,Kim Weston, etc at local soul do at the Moon in Duckinfield, never heard that. Local pub same time it was on the jukebox.

Can't remember ever hearing it at the Torch, Mecca, Wigan or Stafford. I guess cos it wasn't considered to have the right ingredients, and I wasn't the only person with that opinion obviously, hence it's lack of exposure up till now.

Had Mick been drinking?

ROD

It doesn't have to have been played at clubs at the time to be a classic Motown record Rod. Exactly the same as "It's a shame" The Spinners - no doubt not played "Up norf" at the time as being "too slow" - but it's a classic none the less.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

I can accept the use of lap dancers but not lap tops wink.gif

Derek

One of the soul nights that are run here use a lap top to paly off and if thay don't have

a tune thay just down load of the net there and then

Social source share

:lol: Mmmm, But there may be some that spend all their money on the most expensive records they can find & in a lot of cases at the expense of marrying & having children or any other sort of a life, so as come Friday & Saturday they are da biz & kings of the world. But it can't be little dick syndrome :g: They do it purely for the furtherance of music, mankind & to pull in as much money as they can for the Artist, don't they yes.gif

Ever thought that some people, completely bonkers i know, actualy just love the music & love playing music to others for a good time & enjoyment, & are happy to do it for nothing ?

I know it's hard to comprehend people just loving music & having a nice fun evening out spinning some tunes without having to verify record matrix to all & sundry, but it does happen occasionaly you know.

I love collecting, but not to the point where it is the be all & end all of my life.

Those that stand by the old rules, it's their choice & they are entitled to it, As are they intitled to run the nights that they frequent by the same rules.

But why can't you live & let live without throwing stupid comments like yours at the people who don't want to live by those rules ?

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

A very sensible post bogue but im sure you know it will fall on deaf ears,always those that profess to love this scene more than everyone else talk the most shite.

Social source share

OMG...I'm off to see a doctor....I have 'NO WILLIE' syndrome.

Social source share

yes, lets keep it to a hypothetical situation. the dj's turn up at the gig with their boxes of original vinyl & the promoter goes on in a prime time slot & plays a load of bootlegs. i know it doesn't sound possible, but lets just pretend. would this be an acceptable thing these days?

Surely that is IMPOSSIBLE? What fool would do such a thing? ohmy.gif Totally Unacceptable!

Social source share

The main thing being the sound quality on a lot of boots. Frankie Crocker is a good example. The boot sounds bloody awful! Often, you can tell when a dj starts playing boots, just by the change in sound quality!! Craaaaaap! But, I guess its up to the venue and the policy. As long as its advertised as bootleg vinyl.....I pay £10 or whatever to get in a venue to hear original vinyl. NOT for the plush surroundings and high level comfort of the venue! laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

This topic is irrelevent when you stop to concider how poor the vast majority of DJs are on the scene in the UK. It doesn't matter if they are playing boots or OG, their sets are still going to be about as exciting as drinking dirty dish water while watching Sunday afternoon repeats of Eastenders.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

This topic is irrelevent when you stop to concider how poor the vast majority of DJs are on the scene in the UK. It doesn't matter if they are playing boots or OG, their sets are still going to be about as exciting as drinking dirty dish water while watching Sunday afternoon repeats of Eastenders.

glass houses fella

Social source share

:shades::lol:

Social source share

As this thread seems to be 'and in conclusion' mode. It seems the topic starter is not nearly as vocal now as he was four pages ago.

Thread was started to debate a theoretical point, after slagging two do's in lookbacks. Neither of which he attended.

Some salient and pertinent posts made imo and all can agree boots + playbox = :shades:

I wonder who is the bigger evil though. A promoter playing a Grapevine single at a quiet soul night. Or a veiled mischief maker bent on ill-feeling and conflict?

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Phil,

Your totally right,go with your conviction and remember every record was a cheap throw away at one time,how many sounds have been found in junk shops or warehouses not wanted,till they get played a few times,then take off.

Kev :lol:

exactly....a perfect example is the wendel western on soul sauce, bought by a handful of people for $15-20 but passed over by others (because it was 'too cheap'?!) until sam bought his copy from john manship and started playing it covered up :shades:

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

I wonder who is the bigger evil though. A promoter playing a Grapevine single at a quiet soul night. Or a veiled mischief maker bent on ill-feeling and conflict?

Grapevine singles aren't bootlegs Simsy - thought you would have known that :shades:

The point about boots has been well made; we certainly don't play them round this way thank God.

Hopefully none played at gigs round your way either Ian :lol:

Social source share

Grapevine singles aren't bootlegs Simsy - thought you would have known that :boxing:

I do know that Steve, but thanks for pointing it out. Reissues and boots sometims referred to simply as - 'boots'. Though the correct label in qustion I believe is KAREN! :P

The point about boots has been well made; we certainly don't play them round this way thank God.

Hopefully none played at gigs round your way either Ian :P

No sir ... Hertford my way or your's? wink.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert