Denise Lasalle (chess)

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ive seen two slightly different chess labels one has 2005 below the artists name ???

The Label used to have the Number underneath the Artist at the bottom of the label.

I have a few already scanned, One has the number at the side and is a later number.

Chess_1903a.jpgChess_1904a.jpgChess_1920a.jpg

Chess_1954a_DJ.jpgChess_2005a_DJ.jpgChess_2027a_DJ.jpg

Possibly a later run of Denise LaSalle, not sure if different pressing plants were used, but I suspect that there would be.

Here is a scan from PopSike.

320072564231.jpg

The type of press looks very different, and has the number at the side.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The Label used to have the Number underneath the Artist at the bottom of the label.

I have a few already scanned, One has the number at the side and is a later number.

Possibly a later run of Denise LaSalle, not sure if different pressing plants were used, but I suspect that there would be.

320072564231.jpg

thanks for the imfo

Social source share

320072564231.jpg

Isn't the latter one a UK press from the 70's , no centre? They did the same in the UK with Joy Lovejoy, did they not ?

Social source share

No mate, that's definately a US issue.

The Joy Lovejoy is much lighter blue and not concaved around the centre.

From memory, there's no UK issue of Love Reputation that I'm aware of.

:D

Sean

Interesting Sean, but why would Chess in the US have issued it a second time when it had never been a hit in the first place in the US ?

Unless its an early 70's press to cash in on the success at Westbound.

I always assumed the latter issue of Denise Lasalle WAS a UK jobbie, mid 70's , Polygram in the UK at that time had Chess didn't they, and they were issuing UK Polydor 45's without centres as well weren't they ?

Think I'll also have to dig out my UK Joy Lovejoy from storage which I could swear WAS concave around the centre and very similar to the Denise Lasalle in appearance ?

Where's Tony Rounce when we need him ?

Social source share

Interesting Sean, but why would Chess in the US have issued it a second time when it had never been a hit in the first place in the US ?

I always assumed the latter issue of Denise Lasalle WAS a UK jobbie, mid 70's , Polygram in the UK at that time had Chess didn't they, and they were issuing UK Polydor 45's without centres as well weren't they ?

Think I'll also have to dig out my UK Joy Lovejoy from storage which I could swear WAS concave around the centre and very similar to the Denise Lasalle in appearance ?

Hi Sunnysoul, there are a lot of 70s US Chess presses that look just like the one in the picture, I doubt it's a UK press with the hole punched out. I can't explain exactly why it was pressed though. Love Reputation was a hit in Chicago, but I always find it on the Green (and occassionally blue) Tarpon label, never ever see it on Chess here.

Social source share

I know the type of release you're referring to and its 'very similar' but not the same.

I've numerous releases on the UK variant (Billy Stewart, Dells "It's All Up To You" etc) but the Denise Lasalle above is definately not one of them.

Sean

Social source share

Guest mel brat

No, the UK (paper label) Chess ie. "In Orbit" is VERY different to the US Chess labels shown here, being pale blue with a different design entirely and easily recognisable as a UK single.

- Unless there were US style bootlegs that I'm unaware of, but I doubt it as there were plenty of original copies of "Love Reputation" around at that time.

PS. I was informed a while ago that "Love Reputation" DID get a mid-late 70s UK release (on the moulded, 'printed-on-plastic' Chess label) but I can't ever recall seeing one. Perhaps the person who told me was getting confused with her version of the Detroit Emeralds' "Feel The Need" ?, which got spins on the Northern scene and so was subsequently released as a 45 several years after the initial UK album came out (on Janus)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!