• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I DONT WANT TO SEE YOU CRY / I NEED YOU - B R A RECORDS

GOT ONE ?

CASH OR TRADES

PM ME PLEASE

Haim Kenig's got one for sale - he's on here, or you can contact him via www.longtallsimon.net. This is the same Studio One recording that was issued on Supreme in Jamaican and Island over here. There's also a nice version, by John Holt, on the same backing track on a 1970 Studio One album, but I can't remember which one offhand...

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Haim Kenig's got one for sale - he's on here, or you can contact him via www.longtallsimon.net. This is the same Studio One recording that was issued on Supreme in Jamaican and Island over here. There's also a nice version, by John Holt, on the same backing track on a 1970 Studio One album, but I can't remember which one offhand...

Haim auctioned it off on ebay last night, missed out on it !!!! last minute snipe :thumbup: .

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

JOHN HOLT ALBUM WITH SAID TRACK

S20810.jpg

I was actually thinking about a compilation LP - it's either "Solid Gold" or "A Scorcha" - but I'd forgotten it was on here, too...

Social source share

Thanks Tony - but yeah, mine is gone......Dukesy, if I find another it's all yours.

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Ken Boothe came out on:

UK Island

JA Studio One (red logo/lettering for original)

JA Bra

Absolutely superb Rocksteady tune! All with The Wailers 'I Need You' on the flip.

Your right superb Rocksteady, anyone got one for me?? :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ken Boothe came out on:

UK Island

JA Studio One (red logo/lettering for original)

JA Bra

Absolutely superb Rocksteady tune! All with The Wailers 'I Need You' on the flip.

Was also on Ja. Supreme (dark blue label/sliver lettering), as were sereval of Ken's other early Studio 1, releases before Coxsone switched him to Studio 1 itself. I have one somewhere in the attic in something less than G- condition. In fact I have two or three other Ken's on Supreme. Time for a rummage in the crates, I think.

Superb? yes, unquestionably, but rocksteady? no, not quite. It's a bit too early to be classed as that, although it does come from that interesting period, which doesn't seem to have a 'name', when ska was slowing down and before Hopeton Lewis' "Take It Easy" (first real rocksteady record IMO) came out. Other great examples of this 'slow ska' era would have to include Delroy Wilosn's "Dancing Mood", the Paragons' "Happy Go Lucky Girl", Phyllis Dillon's "Don't Stay Away", Ken Boothe's "Train Is Coming", the Clarendonians' "Rudie Bam Bam", Peter Tosh's "I Am The Toughest", Alton Ellis' "Cry Tough", the Wailers' What Am I Supposed To Do" and probably a few hundred more that come to mind just as easily...

The Wailers' "I Need You" is, by the way, a cover of the Temptations' "Baby Baby I Need You" (other side of "Why You Wanna Make Me Blue". Lovely lead from Bunny Livingstone on that one, the great Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks sharing the same for the Tempts...

Social source share

Was also on Ja. Supreme (dark blue label/sliver lettering), as were sereval of Ken's other early Studio 1, releases before Coxsone switched him to Studio 1 itself. I have one somewhere in the attic in something less than G- condition. In fact I have two or three other Ken's on Supreme. Time for a rummage in the crates, I think.

Superb? yes, unquestionably, but rocksteady? no, not quite. It's a bit too early to be classed as that, although it does come from that interesting period, which doesn't seem to have a 'name', when ska was slowing down and before Hopeton Lewis' "Take It Easy" (first real rocksteady record IMO) came out. Other great examples of this 'slow ska' era would have to include Delroy Wilosn's "Dancing Mood", the Paragons' "Happy Go Lucky Girl", Phyllis Dillon's "Don't Stay Away", Ken Boothe's "Train Is Coming", the Clarendonians' "Rudie Bam Bam", Peter Tosh's "I Am The Toughest", Alton Ellis' "Cry Tough", the Wailers' What Am I Supposed To Do" and probably a few hundred more that come to mind just as easily...

The Wailers' "I Need You" is, by the way, a cover of the Temptations' "Baby Baby I Need You" (other side of "Why You Wanna Make Me Blue". Lovely lead from Bunny Livingstone on that one, the great Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks sharing the same for the Tempts...

Tone - I always call that period "rude boy", a hybrid between ska and rocksteady like you mention above e.g. The melodians - Lay It On

Social source share

Source Advert