Johnny Baker

Soul Shrews

Hi People

I know the Johnny Baker "Shy Guy" threads been done (thanks sunnysoul) but I wanna know how do you tell a real "Operator, Operator" from the re-press ?

According to an article I read by Tim Brown it was re-pressed to satisfy UK demand back in the day when it was in demand on the northern scene. Of course the flipside "Accept Me As I Am" is classic deep soul too

Where do the white promo copies that only feature "Operator, Operator !" fit in ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest martyn

Hi People

I know the Johnny Baker "Shy Guy" threads been done (thanks sunnysoul) but I wanna know how do you tell a real "Operator, Operator" from the re-press ?

According to an article I read by Tim Brown it was re-pressed to satisfy UK demand back in the day when it was in demand on the northern scene. Of course the flipside "Accept Me As I Am" is classic deep soul too

Where do the white promo copies that only feature "Operator, Operator !" fit in ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers Paul

The White Promo has a very short instrumental (with girlie backing),but no vocal.

Must admit I didnt know there was a re-press.I would be gratefull for any info on this too.

Social source share

The White Promo has a very short instrumental (with girlie backing),but no vocal.

Must admit I didnt know there was a re-press.I would be gratefull for any info on this too.

Hi martyn

My promo is stereo/mono same vocal same time.

Dunno about this instrumental thing ? But I'd like to
yes.gif

Thanks for your interest

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest jinx74

i dont have a promo with operator on it. i also didnt know there were represses on em either. i have the accept white label w/ stereo mono and a red label accept with operator on the flip. i doubt mine would be a re being that all my stuff was bought locally here in sf but its possible i guess. this doesnt help you any i know but its all i have.

Social source share

i dont have a promo with operator on it. i also didnt know there were represses on em either. i have the accept white label w/ stereo mono and a red label accept with operator on the flip. i doubt mine would be a re being that all my stuff was bought locally here in sf but its possible i guess. this doesnt help you any i know but its all i have.

Hi jinx74

I've never seen a promo of "Accept Me As I am" stereo/mono (tho I'd like one
wicked.gif
)

The stock/red label I have is styrene, as is the white "Operator..........." promo wheras my "Shy Guy" stock is vinyl (Ok I know its another label but...) is your 'Accept Me As I Am" promo vinyl ?

Does this make the white promo of "Operator. Operator ! " a re-press ???!!!

Social source share

THE WHITE ONE IVE POSTED DOESNT SEEM TO BE A DEMO

CISCO IS A DIFFERANT TYPE FACE TO THE RED SHINEY COPY IVE GOT RED HAS A ..MR STAMP WHITE HASNT

Thanks TOAD my stock and promo copies have MR (Monarch ?) stamps too

I'm beginning to think I've gotta couple o' duds here......................anyone know the real story ?

Cheers Paul

PS TOAD, I'd still like the PT 1/2 version if you know where I can find one ?

Social source share

Guest martyn

Hi martyn

My promo is stereo/mono same vocal same time.

Dunno about this instrumental thing ? But I'd like to
yes.gif

Thanks for your interest

Cheers Paul

My Cisco white demo is stereo both sides with part 2 on one side & the other side marked instrumental 1:48 long.It is on vinyl both sides credited to Johnny Baker with the backing vocals credited to 'Mothers Children'.I bought it in a junk shop in Chicago in 1980 & had to buy an issue to get the vocal.I'm in the process of buying a new deck which will hopefully enable me to transfer my tunes to my PC.I will post it up when its all up & running.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest martyn

Thanks TOAD my stock and promo copies have MR (Monarch ?) stamps too

I'm beginning to think I've gotta couple o' duds here......................anyone know the real story ?

Cheers Paul

PS TOAD, I'd still like the PT 1/2 version if you know where I can find one ?

No stamp on my demo only A+R 72X42-A 510 scratched in the dead wax

Social source share

Thanks for that Eddie thumbsup.gif I think he"s on here hopefully he'll see this thread and respond.

So far then, there appears to be 2 stock copy issues (going by the dead wax numbering)

Also a white promo copy of "Operator, Operator !" stereo/mono

Stereo side dead wax is cisco 01-02 (mr stamp) triangle 99029-x (this is the same as my stock copy)

Also a white promo of "Accept Me As I Am" stereo/mono

Also an instrumental of "Operator, Operator !" with Pt 2 on the flip (stock copy, and different numbering)

Phew and this threads not been up 24 hours yet ! :thumbup:

Sean I"d like to know about the "Accept Me............" promo please

jinx74 I'd be interested to know the numbering on your stock copy please

TOAD many thanks for the sound clips I hadn"t heard either before, I was thinking maybe the RE-1 in the dead wax of your stock copy suggests its a re-issue ?

Many thanks to everyone whos contributed so far and special thanks to Mrs Shrews (and her glasses) for helping me read the dead wax numbering

Hopefully Mr Rushden will post something later

Cheers Paul

PS Just an idea but what do you think a Tom Moulton re-mix would sound like using the vocal/instr a la Fantastic Johnny C "Waiting For The Rain" ???

Social source share

Guest martyn

Thanks for that Eddie thumbsup.gif I think he"s on here hopefully he'll see this thread and respond.

So far then, there appears to be 2 stock copy issues (going by the dead wax numbering)

Also a white promo copy of "Operator, Operator !" stereo/mono

Stereo side dead wax is cisco 01-02 (mr stamp) triangle 99029-x (this is the same as my stock copy)

Also a white promo of "Accept Me As I Am" stereo/mono

Also an instrumental of "Operator, Operator !" with Pt 2 on the flip (stock copy, and different numbering)

Phew and this threads not been up 24 hours yet ! biggrin.gif

Sean I"d like to know about the "Accept Me............" promo please

jinx74 I'd be interested to know the numbering on your stock copy please

TOAD many thanks for the sound clips I hadn"t heard either before, I was thinking maybe the RE-1 in the dead wax of your stock copy suggests its a re-issue ?

Many thanks to everyone whos contributed so far and special thanks to Mrs Shrews (and her glasses) for helping me read the dead wax numbering

Hopefully Mr Rushden will post something later

Cheers Paul

PS Just an idea but what do you think a Tom Moulton re-mix would sound like using the vocal/instr a la Fantastic Johnny C "Waiting For The Rain" ???

Pretty sure the one I have is not a stock copy.It has been marked with 2 red crosses on the instrumental side to signify the play side.Was like it when I found it in Chicago....Though I could be wrong :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi martyn, so it looks like there are promo and stock copies of the instrumental

JOE TORQUAY, theres no eddie foreshaw in my run out groove don"t recognise the name pehaps jinx74 will know who he is

My 'Accept Me As I Am" side has cisco 01-01 (mr stamp) triangle 99029 in the dead wax, is yours the same ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

HI PAUL,

MINES THE SAME AS YOURS EXCEPT FOR THE NAME ( E. FORSHAW ) ON THE 'Accept Me As I Am

SIDE, EDDIE FORSHAW ON THE FLIP. MAYBE SOMEONE DID IT IN CASE IT OT NICKED,

I REMEMBER WE USED TO WRITE ALL OVER THE BACK OF LP COVERS FOR THE SAME REASON,

PITY AS IT MAKES THEM WORTH A LOT LESS NOW,

JOE.

Social source share

Guest jinx74

i have three of these with all the same dw info:

accept promo : cisco 01-01 mono MR delta99174 // stereo side: cisco 01-01 MR delta99029

i have two of these with the same info:

accept/operator : cisco 01-01 RE1 MR delta100265 // cisco 01-02 RE1 MR delta100265-x

Social source share

Guest martyn

i have three of these with all the same dw info:

accept promo : cisco 01-01 mono MR delta99174 // stereo side: cisco 01-01 MR delta99029

i have two of these with the same info:

accept/operator : cisco 01-01 RE1 MR delta100265 // cisco 01-02 RE1 MR delta100265-x

So where have these without the delta numbers come from? Surely not boots,especialy with the provenance behind them ? :lol:

Social source share

Thanks for that jinx74 :lol:

So your stock copies are the same as TOAD's so different to mine..............so I still need to know which is the original ?

Do you think that the RE-1 in the numbering suggests a re-issue ?

Any ideas about the instrumental release ?

And whats with the "Operator, Operator ! " promos ?

Cheers Paul

PS Sorry missed that "delta" bit

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

My "issue" has cisco 01-02 mr stamp "triangle shape"99029-x

my copy also has " eddie forshaw " in the runout - who he ??

joe

Eddie Forshaw is from Prestatyn now lives in Rhyl after long spells in Germany, he's a very good friend of Richard Searling. Lots of copies of this tune in North Wales from the days Richard Searling DJ'din the Vic Hotel in Prestatyn, which Eddie used to run, so I guess you have his old copy.
Social source share

Eddie Forshaw is from Prestatyn now lives in Rhyl after long spells in Germany, he's a very good friend of Richard Searling. Lots of copies of this tune in North Wales from the days Richard Searling DJ'din the Vic Hotel in Prestatyn, which Eddie used to run, so I guess you have his old copy.

Well........................... I"m glad this threads cleared something up !!!
rolleyes.gif

Thanks Netspeaky
:lol:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Hi martyn

Does the "triangle" mean delta ?

Cheers Paul

PS And what does provenance mean ? Er lol

:lol:
Don't know mate-I just like to sound clever but can't spell
:)
..............I'm getting at the fact that as all these copys were bought legit through several different sources (as opposed to through one list put out when the tune was big),that the chance of any being boots is minimal,its just a question of why so many different versions over what period of time
unsure.gif:lol::D
.................oh bugger,I need to lie down
Social source share

:ohmy: Don't know mate-I just like to sound clever but can't spell :( ..............I'm getting at the fact that as all these copys were bought legit through several different sources (as opposed to through one list put out when the tune was big),that the chance of any being boots is minimal,its just a question of why so many different versions over what period of time :lol::lol::hypo: .................oh bugger,I need to lie down

:lol::ohmy: Yes martyn could do with a lie down meself !

I think they're all legit too just would like to know which came first

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Try Rudzy on Here

IVE JUST HAD A LOOK IN JOHN MANSHIPS BOOTLEG GUIDE AND ITS NOT IN THERE AS A BOOT OR A REISSUE

MIGHT BE WORTH ASKING HIM

:ohmy:

"Operator"

got 3 presses on Cisco NONE are bootlegs. But the last one *#1001 was "commisioned" or shall we say encouraged for release by Bob Catteneo in 1977, #1000 was a 1976 release.

OPERATOR OPERATOR c/w same: mono CISCO 1000 DJ

OPERATOR OPERATOR c/w PLEASE ACCEPT ME AS I AM CISCO 1000

OPERATOR OPERATOR c/w same: instrumental CISCO 1001*

hope that helps.

PS can't remember "PLEASE ACCEPT ME AS I AM" as a double sided promo.. does this exist??

Edited by john manship
Social source share

THANKS JOHN

HOPE WE CAN HAVE ANOTHER BOOTLEG GUIDE SOON!

It's due for Easter, it's be called "COLLECTING NORTHERN SOUL" in full colour and scans of all the relevent 45s with all the matrix info.

PS. Has anyone anywhere on these page got and ORIGINAL Gwen & Ray. Needs to be authentic the one maede from RCA style thin flexi vinyl. Only ever had 2 copies in my life and it's the only scan I'm missing.. PM me if you've got a got copy. WE shall reward you with a free book..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

PS can't remember "PLEASE ACCEPT ME AS I AM" as a double sided promo.. does this exist??

Hi John,

Yes "Accept Me As I Am" does exist as a double sided promo as I have a copy somewhere (been looking for it the past few days but it's definately in there - 100%).

Will put the details up once I find it.

Sean

PS: That other stuff I promised will be with you in the next couple of days.

Social source share

PS. Has anyone anywhere on these page got and ORIGINAL Gwen & Ray. Needs to be authentic the one maede from RCA style thin flexi vinyl. Only ever had 2 copies in my life and it's the only scan I'm missing.. PM me if you've got a got copy. WE shall reward you with a free book..

Tats Taylor has an original Gwen & Ray.

I was with him when he found it in Baltimore about 10 years ago.

He is Foolish Fool on here (and pretty much everywhere else).

I'll ask him if he can get it (or a hi-res scan) to you.

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

"Operator"

got 3 presses on Cisco NONE are bootlegs. But the last one *#1001 was "commisioned" or shall we say encouraged for release by Bob Catteneo in 1977, #1000 was a 1976 release.

OPERATOR OPERATOR c/w same: mono CISCO 1000 DJ

OPERATOR OPERATOR c/w PLEASE ACCEPT ME AS I AM CISCO 1000

OPERATOR OPERATOR c/w same: instrumental CISCO 1001*

hope that helps.

Hi John,

Where does my copy without the vocal on either side fit in then :ohmy: ?It is number C-1001 with (01-03),it also has 1976 as the date ? A mis-press do you think perhaps ?

Social source share

Hi John,

Where does my copy without the vocal on either side fit in then
:sleep3:
?It is number C-1001 with (01-03),it also has 1976 as the date ? A mis-press do you think perhaps ?

Yes martyn was thinking this myself, thats the one with Pt 2 right ?

Also want to know which stock copy came first

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Yes martyn was thinking this myself, thats the one with Pt 2 right ?

Also want to know which stock copy came first

Cheers Paul

yes.gif ............Still not the full story :D

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I used to import lots of West Coast singles from Bob Cattaneo, 45's by Marvin Holmes, Celeste Hardie, Don Thomas, and loads more.

Bob used to supply copies of "Shy Guy" - Johnny Baker and because he knew I could take quantity of a record (I remember having 500 copies of "Come On Train" and "You Better Keep Her" and flogging them upstairs at Wigan one night) he encouraged Johnny to make a track which would work for the UK Northern scene... one of the first "tailor-mades" I suppose.

I had progress reports on how the recording ,spoke to Johnny while he was in the process of coming up with the track,and eventualy got from Bob a lovely looking 10" acetate which I road tested out and about and then ordered the first pressings of the record, asking (as you do) for a mixture of white label demos and red stock copies.

There definitely was not a pressing with "Please Accept Me As I Am" as the flip in existence before I had my copies which had "Operator Operator" on both sides.

I cannot remember the quantity,at least 1,000, maybe more, but I had trouble getting rid of them...I would say this was in 1975.

All the Best,

Neil

Social source share

Wow Neil thanks for that post. thumbsup.gif ...............................so the "Operator, Operator" stereo/mono promos are the 1st

Do you know anything about the instrumental/Pt2 release ?

I suppose if "Operator, Operator !" was made with the northern scene in mind then the "Accept Me As I Am" ballad was added later for the US market ?

I have an old Blues & Soul where Dave Godin has the issue as one of his "significant sides" I'll try and post a photo/scan sometime soon

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Is the Dave Godin review for "Operator, Operator"?

If so it would be because I supplied Dave with a copy.

He was very good at supporting singles I imported and sent him, for instance he gave great support to "Don't You Leave" - Freddie Hughes.

I just wish I had kept some of those copies of "You're Gone" - Celeste Hardie I had from Bob,a lot of the old crowd from Walsall/Wolverhampton/Dudley who I supplied records with had copies from me, there must be copies stuck in lofts and abandoned record boxes.

All the Best,

Neil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert