That's A Bit Harsh

Guest soul99 easylay

Guest soul99 easylay

I was at a Soul night a couple of months ago and the DJ invited requests, so I took him up on his offer and asked if he had "Keeps on Burning" - Burning Bush.

His reply........."You w*nker" wanker.gif (as I didn't know him, I was alarmed at his insightfulness) thankfully being pretty much unoffendable I didn't really care, but thought I'd enquire why......

Apparently, it's because "it's a pile of psuedo-garage w*nk". :thumbsup:

I happen to like it enormously, so thought nothing much more of it, until later in his set he played "Hip Teens"

Double standards or what! :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was at a Soul night a couple of months ago and the DJ invited requests, so I took him up on his offer and asked if he had "Keeps on Burning" - Burning Bush.

His reply........."You w*nker" wanker.gif (as I didn't know him, I was alarmed at his insightfulness) thankfully being pretty much unoffendable I didn't really care, but thought I'd enquire why......

I happen to like it enormously, so thought nothing much more of it, until later in his set he played "Hip Teens"

:) makes you wonder dont it, name and shame the hip teener :)

Social source share

Nowt wrong with Burning Bush ......

Not the greatest record ever made , but a very creditable example of one of the sounds from an evocative era of the scene ....

Who was this " DJ " ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I used to love this so much I bought john vincents emidisc of it when it was covered up as the gems. it had yvonne vernee on the other side. I had no qualms about spinning it at the local youth club. the dj in question is a complete canute. out the fecker now!!

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

I used to love this so much I bought john vincents emidisc of it when it was covered up as the gems. it had yvonne vernee on the other side. I had no qualms about spinning it at the local youth club. the dj in question is a complete canute. out the fecker now!!

I couldn't guys, sorry :lol:

He was a guest DJ at a local Soul night and I wouldn't want to offend the promoter.

If it helps, he's a Scots man and the night was in Yorkshire, but don't point the finger at me if you start putting two and two together and coming up with five and out the wrong man! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I couldn't guys, sorry :lol:

He was a guest DJ at a local Soul night and I wouldn't want to offend the promoter.

If it helps, he's a Scots man and the night was in Yorkshire, but don't point the finger at me if you start putting two and two together and coming up with five and out the wrong man! :thumbsup:

Phew! Thought it might have been me for a minute there :)

Social source share

Phew! Thought it might have been me for a minute there :thumbsup:

you wouldnt of been so polite Steve :lol:

ps, i didnt know you had Hip Teens :)

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

you wouldnt of been so polite Steve :thumbsup:

ps, i didnt know you had Hip Teens :lol:

Of course I don't......I thought it might have been me slagging off Burning Bush, but when he said in reference to the DJ concerned Yorkshire, Scotland and Hip Teens I knew it wasn't me....Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Of course I don't......I thought it might have been me slagging off Burning Bush, but when he said in reference to the DJ concerned Yorkshire, Scotland and Hip Teens I knew it wasn't me....Steve

it was only the scottish accent that made me realise it wasnt you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Apparently, it's because "it's a pile of psuedo-garage w*nk". :lol:

Double standards or what! :)

:) Not on, this!!! If a DJ asks for requests they shouldn't then turn on people who make them just because the requested record doesn't fit 'their' narrow view of what's acceptable at a soul night - it's not as if you'd asked for Motorhead! What was wrong with a polite 'Sorry mate, not in my box?' I'm curious as to how this DJ justifys spinning 'Hip Teens' being as he is such a purist like! :)

This DJ needs to be careful asking for requests if he's that offensive - he might end up getting requests from his audience that don't relate to records :thumbsup::)

Social source share

:lol: Not on, this!!! If a DJ asks for requests they shouldn't then turn on people who make them just because the requested record doesn't fit 'their' narrow view of what's acceptable at a soul night - it's not as if you'd asked for Motorhead! What was wrong with a polite 'Sorry mate, not in my box?' I'm curious as to how this DJ justifys spinning 'Hip Teens' being as he is such a purist like! :)

This DJ needs to be careful asking for requests if he's that offensive - he might end up getting requests from his audience that don't relate to records :thumbsup::)

Actually, and for the record, I was only joking! :) I am always very polite.....even Bearsy knows that from when he requested I spin "footsee". :)

Social source share

Actually, and for the record, I was only joking! :thumbsup: I am always very polite.....even Bearsy knows that from when he requested I spin "footsee". :)

yeah and its not as if you didnt have it in you box either Steve :lol:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Double standards or what! :)

was it James McTrouble :thumbsup::)

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Phew! Thought it might have been me for a minute there laugh.gif

..........actually now you come to mention it, I seem to remember the headline DJ that night was listed as Steve G :lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Double standards or what! :D

My first allnighter in UK in 1993 in Manchester, I asked the DJ for Tony Middleton- SPANISH MAIDEN he said said something along the lines of "I dont play shite" as he glared at me. The ironic thing is that the dancefloor was totally empty his whole hour set. Lots of folk were complaining about him. He was the only DJ of the night who played to an empty floor. You get a lot of this I'm superior because I don't like oldies mentality, it's just the way some folk are on the scene. Oldies, newies who gives a toss. It's about individual taste and we should all respect each other even if we have preferred genres, styles or artists. Being bad-vibed by someone because they dont approve of your musical taste is just arrogant and haughty on their behalf. Feck the lot of them! I think I will start asking some DJ'S for 'The Snake' just to wind them up thumbsup.gif

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

My first allnighter in UK in 1993 in Manchester, I asked the DJ for Tony Middleton- SPANISH MAIDEN he said said something along the lines of "I dont play shite" as he glared at me. The ironic thing is that the dancefloor was totally empty his whole hour set. Lots of folk were complaining about him. He was the only DJ of the night who played to an empty floor. You get a lot of this I'm superior because I don't like oldies mentality, it's just the way some folk are on the scene. Oldies, newies who gives a toss. It's about individual taste and we should all respect each other even if we have preferred genres, styles or artists. Being bad-vibed by someone because they dont approve of your musical taste is just arrogant and haughty on their behalf. Feck the lot of them! I think I will start asking some DJ'S for 'The Snake' just to wind them up thumbsup.gif

whats wrong with the snake :lol:

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

My first allnighter in UK in 1993 in Manchester, I asked the DJ for Tony Middleton- SPANISH MAIDEN he said said something along the lines of "I dont play shite" as he glared at me. The ironic thing is that the dancefloor was totally empty his whole hour set. Lots of folk were complaining about him. He was the only DJ of the night who played to an empty floor. You get a lot of this I'm superior because I don't like oldies mentality, it's just the way some folk are on the scene. Oldies, newies who gives a toss. It's about individual taste and we should all respect each other even if we have preferred genres, styles or artists. Being bad-vibed by someone because they dont approve of your musical taste is just arrogant and haughty on their behalf. Feck the lot of them! I think I will start asking some DJ'S for 'The Snake' just to wind them up :thumbsup:

F*ck it, from now on - I'm going armed with an ask list of:

1. The Snake

2. California soul

3. The Night

4. Sliced Tomatoes

5. On the right track

6. The Champion

7. Landslide

8. Bok to Bach

9. Dearly Beloved

10. Wade in the water

(actually - I think 've just created an Ian Levine mix CD :P .................rather worryingly I like all these tracks :lol: )

Social source share

Nah classic oldie. Overplayed yes, but still a great record.

Most of the overplayeds are great Steve, that's why those without too many brain cells keep playing them & requesting 'em...........& that's why some of us are just so pizzed off with hearing them that we slag 'em :lol::thumbsup: .........or maybe thats just me ?

Social source share

Most of the overplayeds are great Steve, that's why those without too many brain cells keep playing them & requesting 'em...........& that's why some of us are just so pizzed off with hearing them that we slag 'em :ohmy::sleep3: .........or maybe thats just me ?

I'd never slag a record like Jack Montgomery, just don't wanna hear it out Dave.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert